Memories of A New Era

Chandler was pacing up and down the altar, hands on his head.  “Oh my god, I’m about to be married.  I can’t believe it.  What if I stuff up?  What if I can’t think of anything?”

Ross and Joey tried frantically to calm their friend down.

“Chandler, how do you feel about Monica?” Ross asked.

“I love her.”

“Just think about how much you love and adore her and the words will just come to you.” Joey said.

“Yeah, he’s right Chandler.”

“OK, OK, I’m calm.” Chandler breathed in deeply.  “No I’m not.”  He started pacing again.

“Dude…”  Before Joey could say anything, the music started and everyone fell silent.

Joey and Ross watched Phoebe & Rachel walk down the altar.  They wore floor-length navy blue dresses, with white flowers in their hair and a white bouquet which matched the scarf draped over their necks.  It was navy in the middle, then faded to white at the ends, halfway down their backs.

Chandler was still panicking inside, but the moment he saw Monica, all his worries drained away.  His eyes locked on her.

Joey noticed this and whispered “Told ya,”

Monica saw Chandler and fixed her eyes on him.  They only had eyes for each other, it was as if nothing else mattered.

When Monica and her father reached the altar, the priest began the service.

“We are gathered here to celebrate the union of Chandler and Monica. Who gives this woman to be wed?”

“I do.”  Monica’s father lifted her veil and Rachel helped him smooth it behind her.  “I love you Monica,”  kissing her cheek, he went and sat down beside his wife.

The priest went on, “In the time you have been together, your love for and understanding for each other has grown and matured. Now you have decided to live your lives together as husband and wife. Two lives are not united by ceremony, but only in the power, love, and grace of two people.  One of the most sacred things under heaven is love for another.  It is this that we are here to celebrate today, the love Chandler and Monica have for each other.  Monica and Chandler have written their own vows, which they will now recite.”

Chandler took Monica’s hands in his own, took a deep breath and began.  “To be honest with you Monica, I didn’t know what to say until I saw you walking down the aisle.  I knew that nothing I could ever have written or ever can write will express my love and devotion to you.  I love you with all my heart, body and soul.  You’re everything I ever wanted in a woman, girlfriend and wife.  You’re my rock, my best friend, my soulmate, my lobster.”  The gang smiled at the mention of those words.  No-one could have matched two other people up so perfectly.  “I am the luckiest man in the world.  I have the most beautiful woman in the world, standing here before me, willing to marry and spend her life with me.  You mean more to me than anything in the world.  I love everything about you, especially the way you love me.  All of me.  And so, from this day forward I pledge my eternal love and devotion to you.”  Chandler said, with tears in his eyes.

Surprisingly, Monica was dry-eyed.  But that soon changed.  “Chandler, from the first time I kissed you lips, I knew you were the one.  From that time, all you had to do was ask, and I would have agreed to become your wife.  But I’m glad we waited.  As the priest said, our time together has let our love grow and mature.  You were always there when I needed a shoulder to cry on, no matter what.  When I need to be held, you hold me, when I need to cry, you provide a shoulder, and when I need assurance, you’re there to comfort me.  You were always there when I needed you and I don’t know how I ever got through life without you.  You never left my side and now I won’t leave yours.  If I make you half as happy as you’ve made me, it will be the greatest thing I will ever do.  From this day forward, I will love, honour and cherish you for the rest of my life.”  Phoebe handed Chandler a tissue and he gently wiped Monica’s eyes, then he leaned in and softly kissed her cheek.  When he pulled back, they stared into each other’s eyes as if no-one else was there.

“May I have the rings?” the priest broke the moment.  Joey and Ross gave him the rings and he turned back to the congregation.  Holding up the rings, the priest began “The ring is a circle, with no beginning and no end, symbolizing Chandler and Monica’s ever lasting love. Chandler, place the ring on Monica’s third finger for her to have as a constant reminder of your love for her.”  Chandler slid the ring onto her finger, with tears shining in his eyes.  “Now Monica…Place the ring on Chandler’s third finger for him to have as a constant reminder of your love for him.”  Monica placed the ring on Chandler’s finger gently.  “Monica and Chandler have pledged their love to each other, in the giving and receiving of rings, and in their marital vows.  I am now honoured to pronounce you husband and wife.  I present to you, the congregation, Mrs and Mrs Bing.  You may kiss the bride.”

Chandler took Monica’s face in his hands and softly kissed her lips.  It lasted for a few seconds, and then they broke away.  Rachel brought their daughter to them, and the new family walked down the aisle, Chandler with one arm around his wife and the other holding their child.

(The scene freezes and turns into a photo in a photo album)

“Is that really what happened at your wedding dad?”

“You bet it is.”  Chandler answered.

“How come I don’t remember it?”

“You were only six months old Steph.”  Monica said.

“I believe you.  What’s next?”  Stephanie asked, turning the page.

“When you were learning to walk.”

(BTW, we don’t see their faces until the end, only their hands as they turn the pages)

* * * FLASHBACK * * *

“Come on Stephie, you can do it,” Monica said, holding out her arms.

“Go to Mommy Stephie, go to Mommy.” Chandler encouraged his ten-month-old daughter.

Stephanie hesitantly moved one foot forward, then the other.  Then, in a rush, she took four more steps and fell into her mother’s arms.

“Well done!” Monica exclaimed, hugging her daughter.  “Now,” She turned the toddler around, “go back to Daddy.”

Stephanie look tentatively at her dad, then turned around and grabbed Monica.  “No!” she yelled.

Chandler’s face fell and Monica laughed.  “Aw honey,”  Monica took Stephanie over to her father and hugged him.

“Dadda!” Stephanie cried and jumped into his arms

(The scene freezes and turns into a photo in a photo album)

* * * END OF FLASHBACK * * *

Stephanie laughed.  “Did I really do that?  I’m sorry dad.”

“I remember it was so funny, we were laughing for days afterwards.”  Monica said.

“And then, twelve months after that your sister Anna was born.” Chandler added.

“Gosh I remember that day like it was yesterday.”  Monica reminisced.

* * * FLASHBACK * * *

“Steph, I’d like you to meet your sister, Anna.” Chandler sat next to the bed, with Stephanie on his lap.  Before them, on the bed sat Monica with their baby girl in her arms.

“Anna!” Stephanie held out her arms and scrambled up next to her mother.

“Hold on honey,” Monica held the baby away from the two-year-old’s grasp.  “Sit on my lap,” she instructed, and Stephanie obliged.  “Here you go,” Monica lowered the pink-wrapped bundle onto her daughter’s lap and held them both tightly.

“Baby.”  Stephanie said, and touched her sister’s face gently.  Monica looked at Chandler, and they both smiled.

(The scene freezes and turns into a photo in a photo album)

* * * END OF FLASHBACK * * *

“Aww, that’s such a cute photo.” Stephanie exclaimed.

“I know.  It was so cute when you did that.”  Monica said as she turned the page.

“Oooh, look this is my first day at school.  I remember that.”

* * * FLASHBACK * * *

“Look at you, all grown up,” Monica said when she saw her six-year-old daughter walk down the stairs.

Chandler followed Stephanie, with a squirming toddler in his arms.  When he reached the bottom, he let go and Anna ran to her sister.

“Stephie!” she yelled.

“Come on Anna, let’s eat some breakfast.” Stephanie took her sister’s hand and led her to the breakfast table.

Later that day, the whole family took Stephanie to her new school to see her off.  Monica, eight months pregnant, knelt down awkwardly and hugged her daughter.  Anna ran to them and hugged them both.

(I think you know the drill by now, scene freezes and turns into a photo.  This will happen at the end of each flashback, so don’t make me repeat it every time)

* * * END OF FLASHBACK * * *

“And a month later you had Courtney.” Stephanie said to her mother.

“That’s right.”

“I remember that.  Even Anna remembers that.”

* * * FLASHBACK * * *

“Where are we going Uncle Ross?” Anna asked.  Ross was driving her, Stephanie, and his sons Ben and Jackson away from school.

“We’re going to visit your mommy in hospital.” Ross answered.

Stephanie looked worried.  “Why is she in hospital?”

“She just had a baby.  You guys have a new sister.”

When they reached Monica’s hospital room, Anna and Stephanie ran inside.  Monica and Chandler were waiting for them and in Chandler’s arms was a new baby.  Stephanie was fascinated with her new sister, but Anna was more concerned about her mother.

“Are you alright Momma?” she asked.

“I’m fine sweetie.  Take a look at your little sister.”  Monica answered.

Anna obeyed, and touched her sister’s face gently.

Stephanie turned to her mother. “What’s her name?”

“Courtney.”  Monica said.  “Courtney May Bing.”

Anna got onto the bed with Monica and held out her arms.  “Dadda, give me the baby.”  She commanded.

Chandler and Monica exchanged a smile as Chandler got up and handed the baby to Anna.  Monica held Courtney’s head while Anna rocked her softly.  Stephanie stood by her father and they smiled at each other.

* * * END OF FLASHBACK * * *

“That photo’s almost the same as the one of me and Anna.”

“Yeah, except that you have blonde hair and Anna has dark hair.”  Chandler added.

“And then there was your first day at high school.”  Monica stated.

* * * FLASHBACK * * *

“You look pretty Steph.”  Courtney said.  The seven-year-old touched her sister’s new uniform and smiled at Stephanie.

“Thanks Court.”

“Come on Anna, you’re going to be late!” Monica yelled up the stairs.

Anna came hurrying down the stairs, with one shoe in her hand.  “What’s the hurry?  I don’t have to be at school for another hour yet.”

“We’re going to have family photos before Steph goes to school.  So hurry up and finish getting dressed.”  Chandler said.

Later that morning, when Chandler dropped Stephanie off at her new school, Anna and Courtney were in the back and wished her luck as she stepped out of the car.  Immediately, Stephanie’s best friend and cousin, Jackson Geller ran up to her and took her arm.  He was her Uncle Ross and Aunt Rachel’s first child, and he was six months younger than her, and they were inseparable.

Their other friends, Summer Johnston (Phoebe’s daughter), Charlotte Blake and Thomas McKenzie, met them at the door and the three friends walked into high school together.

* * * END OF FLASHBACK * * *

“Boy, those were the days,”  Stephanie sighed.  “no responsibility, no worries,”

“But you worked hard.  How else could you have been dux of year 7?” Monica said.

“Yeah, I know.  And then the end of yr 12 came all too soon…”

* * * FLASHBACK * * *

“I can’t believe this is our last day of yr 12!” Jackson screamed, as he, Stephanie, Summer and Charlotte made their way down the crowded hallway.

“I know!”  Stephanie exclaimed. (typical Monica style)

“Where the hell is Tom?”  Charlotte wondered.

“Dunno,” was the reply.  But Charlotte’s question was soon answered when Thomas jumped out in front of them.  They all shrieked.

“Bloody hell Tom!” Jackson yelled at his friend.

“You scared me half to death Thomas McKenzie!”  Summer slapped Thomas playfully.

During the assembly, yr 12 sang a song to the rest of the school.  The song they had chosen was Viva Forever, by the Spice Girls.

Do you still remember, how we used to be

Feeling together, believe in whatever

My love has said to me

Both of us were dreamers

Young love in the sun

Felt like my Saviour, my spirit I gave you

We’d only just begun

 

Hasta Manana, Always be mine

 

Stephanie looked around.  Every student, every teacher, everyone was watching them sing.  She picked out the faces of some of the people she knew; Anna, Courtney, Nicola and Eric Tribbiani, Summer’s sister Autumn, Thomas’ brother Scott and her other cousins, Jackson’s siblings, the twins Rebecca & Madison and their brother Kane.

 

Viva Forever, I’ll be waiting

Everlasting, like the sun

Live forever, for the moment

Ever searching for the sun

 

Yes I still remember, every whispered word

The touch of your skin, giving life from within

Like a love song that I’d heard

Slipping through our fingers, like the sands of time

Promises made, every memory saved

Has reflections in my mind

 

Hasta Manana, Always be mine

 

Viva Forever, I’ll be waiting

Everlasting, like the sun

Live forever, for the moment

Ever searching for the sun

 

Stephanie glanced at her friends.  Summer, Jackson, Charlotte and Thomas.  They were all going their separate ways after school finished.  Charlotte and Thomas were going overseas, and Jackson was going upstate.  Who knew when she would see them again?

 

But we’re all alone now, was it just a dream

Feeling unfold, they will never be sold

And the secret’s safe with me

 

Hasta Manana, Always be mine

 

Viva Forever, I’ll be waiting

Everlasting, like the sun

Live forever, for the moment

Ever searching for the sun

* * * END OF FLASHBACK * * *

(Now we see everyone’s faces.)

“That was a sad time, those last few days.”

“I know honey, but it was the same when I was at school.  I cried my eyes out when we sang our song, and then by the next week, I had lost contact with nearly all of my friends.”  Monica comforted her daughter.  “I moved here, and began a new life, as an adult.”

“Go away!”  The door slammed, and raised voices were heard in the hallway.

“No!  Leave me alone!”

“You leave me alone!”

“Don’t touch me!”

Courtney and Anna walked into the room, arguing loudly.

“Dad!  Make her leave me alone!”

“I’m not touching you!”

“Alright.  That’s enough you two.”  Chandler grabbed both Courtney and Anna by the collars.  “Make up.”

“No!”  came the stubborn reply.

Chandler lost his temper.  “NOW!”

Both Courtney and Anna became subdued when they heard their father speak in that tone.

“Chandler.” Monica walked over and laid a hand on her husband’s arm.  “Calm down.”

Chandler took a couple of deep breaths, and let go of the girls’ collars.  They turned, but Monica didn’t let them get away.

“Courtney.  Anna.  Come back here.”  They slunk back.  “Now I’m fed up with you two fighting all the time.  What were you fighting about?”

Anna looked at Courtney.  She looked back at her sister.

“Um, I don’t remember.” The eighteen-year-old looked ashamed.

“Me neither” Her fourteen-year-old sister was also embarrassed.

“If you don’t remember, it can’t have been that important.” Chandler pointed to the stairs.  “So go upstairs and I don’t want to hear a word until dinner-time.”  Courtney and Anna skulked, but walked upstairs anyway.

“God, why do they always fight?” Stephanie spoke up.

“You used to do the same, when you and Anna were little you fought all the time.” Monica sat back down beside her daughter.

“Then how come I get on so well with her now?”

“I have no idea.”

“Come on, let’s go start dinner.”  Stephanie got up, and pulled her mother to her feet.

 

Monica Bing – Courtney Cox Arquette

Chandler Bing – Matthew Perry

Stephanie Bing (aged 20) – Christina Aguilera

Anna Bing (aged 18) – Jessica Biel

Courtney Bing (aged 14) – Ashley Olsen

THE END

 

 

 

PLEASE REVIEW!!!!!  I need your feedback!