THE JOYS OF PARENTHOOD
BY CREASSYA


This takes place three months after Here Comes Jasmine. Monica gave birth to a new baby girl. She weighed seven pounds, eight ounces. Chandler also asked Monica to marry him. In the meantime, they're settling into the idea of marriage and a family.
 

Chandler watched Monica as she came into his bedroom with her and Jasmine wrapped in a towel. He got up off the bed and walked over to them. He took Jasmine out of Monica's arms and gave Monica a kiss.

"You two smell good."

"We know." Monica said kissing him.

"Come on Jazzy." Chandler said.

Monica started getting dressed when Chandler walked over to the bed to dress Jasmine.
He was talking to her and making weird noises. Jasmine smiled at him and he kissed her on the cheeks. When Monica was dressed, she watched as Chandler played with Jasmine. She loved watching the two of them together. Chandler was absolutely crazy about his daughter. After a couple minutes of watching them, she went over and sat on the bed.

"Okay you two, you'll have plenty of time to play. We have to hurry up or we'll be late."

"What time does their flight get in again?"

"In an hour."

"Oh that's right. You get to meet your uncle Ross, your God father Joey, and your God mothers Phoebe and Rachel." Chandler said kissing Jasmine.

"You want anything to eat before we go?" Monica asked.

"Just a sandwich."

"Okay."

Monica went into the kitchen, while Chandler dressed Jasmine. Five minutes later, Chandler walked into the kitchen with Jasmine in his arms dressed.

"Thanks honey." He said giving her a peck on the lips.

Chandler handed Jasmine to Monica and sat down to eat. He looked at Monica as she held the baby in her arms. Jasmine was looking more and more like Monica everyday. She was playing with her fingers and kissing her. When Monica looked up at Chandler, she noticed him staring at her.

"What?"

"Nothing." He said grinning.

"Come on, what is it?"

"I love you." He said.

Monica went over to him and softly kissed his lips.

"And I love you too."

When the gang arrived at the airport, they saw Chandler, Monica, and the baby right away. They saw them walking towards them. When Chandler and Monica reached them, they hugged each other and made a fuss over Jasmine, who was in Chandler's arms. Ross was eager to hold his niece, so Chandler handed her to him.

"Mon, I can't believe how much she looks like you."

"Isn't she the cutest?" Rachel said.

"Yeah, she looks nothing like you Chandler." Joey said grinning.

Chandler smiled and put his arm around Monica. The two of them looked at their friends as they made a fuss over Jasmine, thinking of how nice it was to have the gang back together again, even if it was for a short visit. They were only going to be in town for the weekend. Chandler let them all hold her and play with her for a little while longer before Jasmine was in his arms again. Monica helped them carry bags, while Chandler held Jasmine. Once they arrived at Monica's apartment, Jasmine was in Monica's arms while Chandler helped with the bags. Joey and Ross's luggage remained in the car. He only needed to help Phoebe and Rachel with their luggage because they were going to stay there with Monica. Joey and Ross would stay with Chandler. When they entered her apartment, Jasmine began to cry. Monica went over and sat on the couch, as Chandler gave the gang a tour of the apartment.

When the tour was over, they walked back into the living room to find Monica nursing Jasmine. Phoebe and Rachel went over and sat down next to her.

"Mon, we'll be back. I'm taking them to my place to get settled in."

"Okay."

Chandler walked over and gave her soft peck on the mouth before leaving with Joey and Ross.

"I still can't believe you're a mother. It's what you've always wanted." Rachel said.

"I can't believe it myself sometimes."

"Does Chandler get up in the middle of the night when she cries?" Phoebe asked.

"Yeah, he does it every night. Even when we're staying here."

"You have to get up to feed her right?"

"No. I pump my milk into her bottles during the day so that Chandler can feed her too, and I don't have to pull out my breasts when we're in public. Chandler gets so embarrassed when I do that." Monica said grinning.

"He looks so cute with her." Phoebe said.

"He adores her. I thought that once I had her, I would have to do all the changing and getting up in the middle of the night, but he does everything."

"Even the dirty diapers?" Rachel asked.

"Yeah. He's involved in everything. He baths her, talks to her, takes off work when she has doctor's appointments....I don't know what I'd do without all of his help. She tires me out." Monica said looking down at Jasmine.

When Monica was finished feeding Jasmine, she put her up to her shoulder to burp her.

"How often do you stay at Chandler's?" Rachel asked.

"Half the time we're here, and the other half of the time we're at his apartment. When we're at Chandler's she sleeps in the room with us, being that she doesn't have her own room. It's actually better when we stay at his place because we don't have to walk all the way down the hall to get to her."

"She's so adorable!" Rachel said.

Once she burped, Monica handed the baby to Rachel.

"It's gonna be hard for him to spend the night away from her this weekend."

"What time does she usually get up in the middle of the night?" Phoebe asked.

"Between two and four."

Minutes later, Jasmine was fast asleep in Rachel's arms. Monica got up and took her into her room and put her in her crib. She watched her for a few seconds, then left the room. She closed the door quietly behind her and walked back into the living room.

"So, when are we gonna start planning this wedding?" Rachel asked as soon as sat down.

"Did you even set a date yet?" Phoebe asked.

"No, but we don't plan on getting married any time soon."

"What?"

"Well, I just had a baby, we just moved, and these things take time."

"So when you guys planning on getting married?" Rachel asked.

"In two years."

"Two years?" Phoebe and Rachel asked.

"Yeah. With me staying at home with Jasmine for a little while and Chandler working, it's best to concentrate on that right now. Plus it gives me plenty of time to plan the wedding."

"Sounds like a plan." Phoebe said.

"Besides, when we go on our honeymoon, I want Jasmine to be old enough to be away from us for a week. I wouldn't be able to leave her now, especially with me nursing her."

"Makes sense." Rachel said.

Hours later, while Monica was in the kitchen cooking dinner, Chandler walked in with Joey and Ross. He came up behind her and lightly kissed her on the neck.

"Smells good in here."

"Dinner should be ready in a half hour."

"Okay."

Chandler left the kitchen and went straight into Jasmine's room. When he reached her crib, she was just starting to cry. He smiled and picked her up. She instantly stopped crying when Chandler held her in his arms. He kissed her a couple times on the cheek before he walked out of her room. The gang was in the living room laughing and talking when Chandler entered the room with Jasmine. When Monica came out of the kitchen, Chandler was feeding her. She went over to them and gave them both a kiss.

"So, what are we doing today?" Phoebe asked.

"Well, Chandler herd about this new club he can take you guys to."

"You're not going?" Joey asked.

"No."

"Awwww." Rachel said.

"I know, but I don't have a baby-sitter for Jasmine. Plus you didn't come here to be stuck in the house with me. I'll be fine."

"That's crazy Mon, I'll baby-sit." Ross offered.

"I'll be fine. Go out and have fun."

"Mon honey, you do need a night out." Chandler said.

"Then it's settled, I'll stay here with Jasmine."

"I don't know." Monica said.

"You're gonna have to leave her sooner or later. She'll be fine. It's not like Ross doesn't have experience." Chandler pointed out.

"I know."

"Come on." Chandler urged her.

"Fine." Monica said looking at him.

Later that night, Chandler watched Monica as she looked at herself in the mirror. She was absolutely gorgeous. He smiled at her as she turned to look at him.

"What are you smiling at?"

"Why? You don't like it?" He asked grinning.

"Of course I do." She said walking towards him.

She put her arms around him and kissed him. Seconds later, Joey walked in and interrupted them.

"Okay, cut it out you two. That's how you got that little one that's in the next room."

Chandler and Monica looked at each other and smiled remembering the night that she was conceived.

"What do you want Joe?" Chandler asked.

"I was coming in here to see if you guys were ready."

"We're ready." Monica said.

"Yeah, ready to have sex." Joey said.

"Get out." Chandler said.

"All right. I'm going."

"You ready?"

"I guess."

Monica looked at herself one last time before leaving the room. When she finally left the room and entered the living room, Ross was playing with Jasmine. Chandler went over to them and picked her up. He gave her a kiss on the cheek and hugged her for a few seconds before giving her to Monica.

"Guys, I don't know about this."

"Honey, she'll be fine. Ross has my cell phone number, and you can call as soon as we get there."

"Mon, she's my niece, plus, she's in good hands. Stop worrying."

"You're right."

"Good, come on." Chandler said, taking her hand.

Once at the club, Monica seemed more relaxed. Ross called Chandler on his cell phone minutes earlier and told them that Jasmine was asleep. When they entered the club, Chandler pulled Monica on the dance floor and held her close as they slow danced. She had to admit, it felt good to be out. She realized that she had to get used to leaving her with a baby-sitter. She and Chandler liked to go out to the movies and out to dinner a lot.

While Chandler and Monica were on the dance floor, Phoebe, Joey, and Rachel were at the bar. When they finished their dance, Chandler and Monica joined them. Monica didn't have anything to drink because she was nursing, and had to watch what she ate and drank. Chandler didn't drink anything either.

"Now Mon, aren't you glad that you got out?" Rachel said.

"Yeah, it feels good."

"Told ya." Joey said.

"Well, don't look now Rach, but that guy is looking at you." Phoebe said.

"Really?"

"Oh yeah."

When the guy walked across the dance floor and over to the bar, he stood next to Phoebe and smiled.

"Hi." Phoebe said.

"Hi, can I buy you a drink?"

"I don't think so buddy." Joey said putting his arm around Phoebe.

"Oh, sorry."

He then turned and smiled at Rachel.

"I don't think so." Rachel said.

When the guy walked away, Phoebe and Rachel shook their heads and smiled.

"Well, I have to go to the ladies room." Monica said.

"We'll go with you." Rachel said.

"So, you and Phoebe still getting along?" Chandler asked.

"Yeah, we're doing good. And she's so much fun too. I never get tired of her. How weird is that?"

"It's not weird."

"Well, if you can settle down, so can I." Joey teased.

"True." Chandler said with a smile.

While Monica, Rachel, and Phoebe, were walking back to the bar, a guy approached Monica.

"So, how are you this evening?" He asked while putting his arm around her.

"I'm engaged." Monica said showing him her ring.

"Whoever he is, he's a lucky guy."

"Thank you."

Monica walked back over to Chandler and he put his arm around her. A few hours later, Chandler asked Monica if she was ready to go home. They waited for Phoebe to finish her drink and they left.

When the gang returned to Monica's apartment, Monica walked in and went straight to Jasmine's room.

"Hi to you too Mon." Ross said smiling.

"How long do you think she'll be like this?" Rachel asked smiling.

"Hard to say."

Monica walked in the room and turned on the small night light on the dresser. She quietly walked over to Jasmine's crib and stood there for a few seconds before picking her up. She held her in her arms and kept kissing her softly. She had only been away from Jasmine for a few hours, but she missed her. Chandler stood there and watched as Monica lowered Jasmine back into her crib. Monica covered her back up and turned around to notice Chandler watching her.

"Everybody thinks I'm crazy right?"

"No."

"What about you?" She asked coming closer to him.

"I understand how you feel. I don't know how I'm gonna sleep tonight without her in the next room."

"I think you'll be fine." Monica said touching his face.

"You think we'll ever be able to let go?"

"Of course. I mean, we're first time parents. This is all new to us. We'll be fine."

Chandler softly kissed Monica on the lips. When they broke the kiss, Chandler walked over to Jasmine and leaned over her crib to give her a kiss. He looked at her for a few seconds and then he went over to the dresser to turn out the night light. They walked out of her room and quietly closed the door.

"You okay now Mon?" Ross asked.

"Yes, I'm much better now."

"I know how to take care of a baby."

"It's not that. You don't know what it's like, I mean, when I was pregnant with her, I was going through all this stuff with Keith stalking me, and when he kidnapped Chandler and I had to fight him, I didn't think the baby would make it, and neither did Chandler. Now she's here and....it's kinda hard to explain."

"Mon, we didn't know." Rachel said sympathetically.

"Even thought we've moved on, we still think about that time. I was so sure that he would do something to Monica and cause her to lose the baby." Chandler said.

"It's one of the reasons we're so fussy over her." Monica explained.

"The other reason is that we both grew up in an atmosphere where we weren't always appreciated and shown the love we deserved, and we don't want Jasmine to have to experience that."

"I can understand that." Phoebe said to Chandler.

"Well, let's go guys, it's getting late." Chandler said heading for the door.

"Thanks a lot Ross." Monica said.

"It's no problem."

When the guys left, Monica went over and sat next to Phoebe.

"Mon, we didn't realize that all the trouble with Keith still affected you guys. I mean you never say anything about it." Rachel said.

"I don't wanna bring you guys down."

"Mon, we're your best friends." Phoebe reminded her.

"I know."

Phoebe gave Monica a hug and seconds later, Rachel came over and hugged her also.

"I'm glad you guys are here."

"We'll always be here, even if we're in New York." Phoebe said.

"I would love to continue this, but soon Jasmine will be up."

"And if you need any help, we're here." Rachel said.

As soon as Monica drifted off to sleep, she heard the baby crying. She quickly got out of bed and made her way to Jasmine's room. She didn't want Jasmine to wake up Phoebe and Rachel. She returned to her room with the baby in her arms. As soon as she sat down to feed her, the phone rang.

"Hi sweetie."

"How'd you know it was me?" Chandler asked.

"Because you usually wake up around the time Jasmine starts crying, and nobody else would call me at this hour."

"Is she up?"

"Yeah, she's looking up at me." Monica said smiling.

"I couldn't sleep."

"I figured."

"I'm tempted to leave and come over there. I think Ross and Joey will be all right until the morning."

"I'm sure that they will sweetie. You know, you're acting like I was earlier."

"I know."

"You'll be okay."

"Well, let me try to get some sleep. I'll see you later honey. I love you."

"I love you too."

When Rachel woke up that morning, she went to Monica's room and opened the door. She smiled at what she saw inside. Chandler was in the bed with Monica in his arms. She quietly closed the door and walked back into the living room.

"What are you smiling at?"

"Chandler's in there."

"Awww." Phoebe said smiling.

"Isn't it cute?"

"Yeah, we're growing up." Phoebe said.

Rachel laughed at the comment. After they cleaned up the living room, they went into the kitchen to make breakfast for Chandler and Monica.

When Monica opened her eyes, she smelled food. As she was getting out of bed, Chandler woke up.

"You smell that?" He asked still lying on his back.

"Yeah."

Chandler got out of bed and he and Monica walked out of the room and into the kitchen where Phoebe and Rachel were.

"Hey sleepy heads." Phoebe said.

"You guys are cooking?" Chandler asked.

"Yeah, and it's all for you two."

"And some for us." Phoebe said.

"Awww, you didn't have to do that." Monica said.

"You deserve it. You've always cooked breakfast for us." Phoebe said.

"That's right, so don't even think about helping us. You two just sit in the living room and relax until it's done." Rachel ordered.

"Okay." Chandler said.

Chandler took Monica's hand in his and they walked back into Monica's room.

"We have the best friends in the world don't we?"

"Yeah, we do."

When breakfast was done, Chandler and Monica sat down to eat. Minutes later, Jasmine began to cry. Just as Chandler got up out of his chair, Rachel told him that she would get her. She returned to the dinning room with Jasmine and sat down on the couch. Phoebe came over to them and began talking to Jasmine. Phoebe got excited when the baby smiled at her.

"See that, she loves me. Who could blame her though."

"I just love her dimples." Rachel said.

Chandler and Monica looked at each other and smiled. Jasmine smiled all the time, but it was the first time that Phoebe and Rachel had seen her smile. When she smiled, it was usually at Chandler. He was always making funny faces and using weird voices when he talked to her. At three months, she was really alert and already trying to sit up. When her parents came to see them shortly after she was born, they feel in love with her. Judy was trying to talk them into moving back to New York so that they could see their granddaughter more often, which was getting on Monica's nerves. They were thinking about staying an extra day, but Monica persuaded them to leave on time. Chandler did his best to take them out and showed them around so that Monica could get a break from them, especially Judy. She kept telling her what to do with Jasmine, how to bath, and feed her. Chandler saw how much it upset Monica, so he did his best to keep them busy. This was so much better. The gang was supportive as always, and it made things easier for them. Ross baby-sat for them, and Phoebe and Rachel cooked them breakfast. They weren't eager to get of them the way they wanted to get rid of her parents.

After breakfast, the gang including Jasmine, went to the beach. They hung out there almost the entire day. Chandler and Monica took turns sitting underneath the umbrella with Jasmine. When Joey thought they should get in the water, he sat with Jasmine and attracted a few females on the beach. When Chandler walked back over to him, he was talking to two women.

"Joey, are you using my baby to pick up women?" Chandler teased.

"No."

"She's your baby?"

"Yeah."

"She's adorable." The shorter one said.

"Thank you."

"Where's the mother?" She asked seductively.

"She's walking towards us."

"Lucky woman." She said as they walked off.

Joey handed the baby to Chandler and practically ran toward Phoebe, who was watching him. Chandler sat down as Monica approached him and Jasmine. She sat down next to Chandler and leaned her head on his shoulder. He put his left arm around her while holding Jasmine in his right arm. They watched Joey pick Phoebe up and swing around his arms. Chandler and Monica smiled.

"Who would have thought that the two of them would get together?" Chandler said.

"I'm sure people said the same thing about us." He said kissing her on the cheek.

"Yep, and look at us now."
 
 

COMING SOON.........HER FIRST STEPS

ONLY THREE MORE FICS LEFT IN THIS SERIES!