PART EIGHT! (FINALLY... and again)

By ME, Tracey!

 

Ok so here’s the story, as u guys might know I wrote two part eights for my future series and posted the second version. Now some of you read the first part (even before the second was written in some cases) but most of you I think should only have only read the second version. But anyway what I decided to do (since people have been writing and asking for the original version) I am posting them both and I want you guys to read both parts and tell me which you (if any) you want me to continue (people have been asking for a part nine too), so version one and two are both available and PLEASE PLEASE read them both and write me a quick mail saying which part u want continued and why… thanks a bunch guys… oh and please enjoy…

 (This will be at the start of both of them:)

 

Previously on Future friends:

 

C&M’s 2000

 

Mon:     Well then if you don’t see a future for us maybe you should leave.

Chan:    (taken aback) what?

Mon:     Pack your stuff and get out.

Monica’s 2000 (after Chandlers moved out)

Mon:            Chandler I’m pregnant (she looks down, and whispers) It’s not yours.

Chan:    Are you telling me you had slept with someone else?

Mon:     No no of course not, I didn’t sleep with him until after we had broken up

 

The hospital 2000
Chan:    The baby was on time, almost exactly, I never thought you would cheat on me…

Mon:            (surprised) WHAT?!

Chan:    It was one thing for you to sleep with another guy two weeks after we broke up, but that is allowed I can’t do anything about that, but to sleep with him in our last days together, that is a little low.

 

Later
Mon:     It’s a boy,

All but C&M: Awww

Mon:     Yeah, this is Sam

 

M&S’s 2006
Phoe:    [to Chandler] Why do you work out these rotas with her and do so much with Sam? He isn’t yours , you would think after 6 years you would know that, you aren’t dating her, what do you get out of it why don’t you just get on with your life?

Later

[Monica walks up to Sam who is still sitting right beside Chandler leaning on him, she leans down and kisses Sam on the cheek, Chandler breathes in a  smell of her hair by accident he closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. She kisses Chandler on the cheek and leaves, he looks helplessly at Sam who is kneeling on the sofa facing him]

Chan:    Sam… we have a problem… [Chandler closes his eyes and touches his cheek where Monica kissed him, Sam smiles]

 

Later…
Ross:    You LOVE her? How could this happen.

Chan:    If you think about it me and Monica spend most of our free time together, I watch Sam all the time and we are always talking so basically we have been having this substitute relationship without the kissing and the sex and stuff.

 

Meanwhile…
Joey:            [nervous] No…. no… see…she [pointing to Monica] is Chandler’s chick. [Monica and Rachel nod]

Later
 

Mon:            [defeated] Yeah and who would this heavenly guy be? The mailman?

Ross:            [standing and putting on his jacket] No, He’s your support system. [Chandler enters and Monica looks up at him then at Ross who raises his eyebrows]

After Ross has left…

Mon:     Will you… will you stay and just talk to me?

Chan:            [confused] ‘bout what?
Mon:            Whatever comes up… like we used too.

Later…
 

Mon:     We should get some sleep I guess, it is sorta late.

Chan:            [quietly] Ok… I’ll see you around then… [he slowly leans over and kisses her friendly like, they hold the kiss probably longer than they should being just friends but do pull apart]

[he smiles half-heartedly and leaves] [she leans on the outside of the open door]

Mon:     [to herself] See you around.

 

Next day
Sam:     Why don’t you just tell her how you feel.

 

Later…
Mon:     Well I… I guess I… ok why not, dinner it is… but it’s not a date.

Chan:    Of course not.

 

Later
Chan:    Do you ever wish you could freeze time? [he leans over and kisses her very lightly on the lips, he pulls back, she kisses him and they fall onto the sofa]

Mon:     [not pulling away] we can’t do this… It’s not right… It’s not fair.

 

Next day
Chan:    Well Sam is with you…

Mon:     He ran away…

Chan:    Well it might be best to go see Sams father and tell him what happened.

Mon:     NO I can’t do that.

Chan:    Look it is the best for Sam…

Mon:     He would never find him…

Chan:    I wouldn’t say that.

Mon:            [panicked] Why???

Chan:    Well is his fathers name on his birth certificate?

Mon:     Oh my god… it’s true he can find out…Sam can just go to the city hall…. And see his birth certificate… he can get someone to look it up for him….

Chan:    I don’t know maybe it is for the best…. He does have a right to know.

Mon:     I don’t know  that he does… right now anyway.

Chan:            Monica… you  can’t keep him from the truth forever.

 

Later
Mon:     [Chandler steps aside to reveal Sam behind him] [Mon covers her mouth and starts to cry, she rushes over to Sam and hugs him]

 

Later still
Sam:     I need to find my dad. [Chandler lets out a frustrated sigh] I know you don’t wanna… but don’t you even wanna know who he is?

Chan:    If Mon wanted me to know she would tell me.

 

Later
Mon:     (to Chandler) This is so stupid… how did I ever think about getting together with you… it would never work….

 

Later
Chan:            [plainly] I got a promotion.

Mon:     [cutting him off] Where is it?

Chan:    [sighs, like she can see right through him] I have to go to Jersey for a while… not forever… but for a while.

Sam:     [who has been watching preceding events, he walks over to Mon] What does this mean mommy.

Mon:     [she crouches down beside him, she sounds VERY sorry] Oh sweetie… it means Chandler is leaving.

 

@ Chandlers office later.

Mon:     [kissing him gently, through the kisses] I hate you for leaving me… And I don’t know how Sam will take not having you across the hall.

Chan:            [between kisses] I know… I don’t wanna go… but it is an amazing opportunity and when I get back I will have a better job…. Both Sam and you will reap the benefits.

 
So…
Mon:            [grabbing her jacket] You can’t order in desert.

Chan:            [confused] I’m sure you could… [she looks at him, he gets a look of realisation and she smiles] [he smiles, he starts to get excited] tonight it is then…

 

That night
Mon:     I just wanna get this outta my system and see if this is why all these feelings are surfacing.

Chan:    [joking] Hey… I am here for ya… [Mon doesn’t look amused.]

Mon:     Can we be serious here?
 

After Chandler left a couple of weeks later.

Joey:    [putting his arm around her] ARE you ok?

Mon:     Ohh… I’m ok…. I guess it’s just a little hard you know…. Coping with Sam… you know… on my own.

Joey:    Don’t say that… We are ALL here for you…

Mon:     He was… well… it’s hard to explain…. He was ALWAYS there and I knew that…

Joey:    What and the rest of us ain’t ALWAYS here?

Mon:     Of course you guys are… but Chandler and I…. Well it was just different ok.

Later

Sam:     So where is he?

Mon:     He is at work in Jersey, you know that.

Sam:     But why isn’t he here….

 

Eventually…
Mon:     So you got to finish your tournament?

Sam:     What tournament?

Mon:     The one you started with Chandler.

Sam:            [passively] We finished that ages ago…

 

And then…
Mon:            [shocked] What are you doing here?

Chan:    Wow, it’s nice to see you too Monica…

Mon:     [in disbelief] Well… I… I…

Chan:    I live across the hall remember?
Mon:     [joking] Like I could forget [they smile politely]

 

But Later
Mon:            Chandler I guess I am just worried as to what happens now… you know….

 

And then…
Chan:    What kinda a question is that?.. I think I have a vested interest in
your relationships don't I?
Mon:             [realising] Ohhh.. so you ain't seeing anyone?
Chan:    [looking at her deeply] Only you..
Mon:     [sighs] Chandler.. don't..
Chan:    What are you telling me you don't want me?

Mon:            Chandler I guess I am just worried as to what happens now.. you know...
 

however…

Mon: Guys I think I might hit the sack...
Joey: Ok... You still need me to watch Sam tomorrow morning..
Mon: Yeah, and Ross is seeing Ben tomorrow afternoon, so he will come by and
pick up Sam around 2 o'clock, and he will take Sam out with them.
Phoe: And you want Brian and I to watch him tomorrow night?
Mon: Yeah, and Rachel has him the night after, then Joey and then Pheebs,
does that suit?
Joey/Phoe: totally. [ Chandler looks at Monica, with a disappointed look]
Mon: What?

Chan: You got it all worked out?

 

 
 

As you’d expect… eventually

Sam: [into phone] Hello... [to Monica] Hey Mom it's Chandler.. he says he
wants to talk to you..
Mon: [to Sam a little annoyed] Tell him I am busy..
Sam: [into phone] She says she is busy.. [to Mon] He says it is important..
Mon: Tell him I ain't interested..
Sam: [into phone] She says she isn't interested.. he says he wants to
apologise..
Mon: [mad] tell him he can stick his apologies where the sun don't shine..

 

Alls well that ends well though...

Sam: Joey and me finished the tournament... I hope you don't mind...
Chan: Of course not...

 

BUT…….

Chan: I was... but I had to see you...[Mon sighs] to tell you something
Mon: Tell me what?
Chan: That this is over... for good, finished, the end... no more...
 

 ALTHOUGH…

Mon:     I understand you have made your decision...and I DO respect that.... but I am here to tell you that you're wrong... I have my reasons too, and I want you to know that... well that [she smiles] I love you...

Chan:    You make it all seem so simple Monica, all logical but you know as well as I do that it isn't like that when it comes down to it...
 

So…
 Rach:   Tonight is Monica’s date with Rob...
Chan:          [virtually dropping the soda he has retrieved from the fridge] Her... DATE??
 

 And of course..

Joey:     (to Chandler) My favour...  I  got  a  date  with this girl today but she wants to make it a double date with her friend... so I gotta bring someone...
 

And at the end of the dates…

Mon:     [she turns] What else is there to say?

Chan:    This… [he kisses her softly and tenderly, she pushes him back]

Mon:     Are you sure? I NEED you to be sure…

Chan:    [putting his hand to the back of her neck] I’m positive, I’ve never been so sure of anything in my life… [he tries to pull her in for another kiss, she puts her hand on his chest stopping him, he looks worried]

Mon:     [she smiles] I love you too… [he smiles and kisses her again]

 

Of course…
Chan:    [she is kissing his neck] He thinks the world of you, you know... even through the whole thing with him running away to find his dad... but I sorted that out... I told him we would go find his dad tomorrow...[Monica looks up at him]

 
 

But after a talk with Monica…
Chan:    Sam we ain't gonna find your daddy today...
Sam:     [disappointed] Oh...well how come?
Chan:    I spoke to Monica about it and well she just isn't ready for you to go find your daddy, she has to prepare herself for the situation... you can understand that can't you?
Sam:     I guess...  [thinking, smiling] I wonder what he is like... I hope he is just like you...
Chan:    [taken aback] I would make a lousy father...

Sam;     You did ok with me...
Chan:    Well you are not my kid... if you were my son, we would act differently with each other.

Sam:     [not hearing Chandler] When I find my dad I am gonna do all the things that other kids get to do with their dads…. I’ll play ball with him… he can teach me how to throw the proper pitch…

Chan:            [offended] HEY I taught you how to throw a proper pitch…

Sam:            [giggles] Sorry… [he continues] we would go out to the park, we would play video games, he could help me time how long it takes Joey to break the Oreo eating record, [Chandler laughs]

Chan:    Yeah well he’s welcome to it, I hate doing that but for SOME reason [he ruffles Sams hair playfully] I always seem to end up doing it, [Sam smiles]

Sam:            [continuing] And he’ll HAVE to get on well with Mommy so we can all do stuff together, we can go out together, visit family together, have Thanksgiving Christmas and New Years together EVERY year…

Chan:    [joking] And what about the rest of us? I have done Thanksgiving, Christmas AND new years with you and Mon since you were born, even when the guys went to their families…

Sam:     Yeah… you can still come, you will still be Mommy’s best friend and my adult best friend. [Chandler gets a look of realisation]
 

So Chandler has figured it out….
Chan:    [calmly, plainly] It's me isn't it?
Mon:             [smiling] Its always been you sweetie…

Chan:    [dazed] No I mean it is REALLY me?

Mon:            [concerned, still looking into his eyes] What's you sweetie?
Chan:    It’s me… I'm Sam's dad... [Monica looks surprised and drops her hands]
 

Can Chandler forgive her?

Chan:             [plainly, but hurt] You lied to me... all this time.... you lied to me...
Mon:             [pleadingly] Chandler I'm sorry... I....
 

SO once he leaves Monica takes action…

Mon:             [suddenly] Sam we're moving...
Sam:            [shocked] We are?
Mon:     Yes as soon as possible.

 

Monica takes Sam to the coffee house, and when she returns…
Five minutes later... Monica re enters...She is faced with Chandler, which
surprises her...
Mon:     Oh you scared me... I thought you needed space...
Chan:             [plainly] I did...but I got it and it got me thinking...
Mon:     Did you reach a conclusion?
Chan:    [pause] yeah I did...
Mon:     And?
Chan:             Monica... I gotta tell you something...
Meanwhile Sam tells the guys about Monica’s plans…
Sam:     We are moving...
Joey:             [shocked] Where to?
Sam:     I dunno...

Ross:    I'm gonna go talk to Mon...
Phoe:    Me too....[Everyone gets up, and storms out, leaving Sam in the coffee
house]…………..

 

 

                                              AND NOW THE CONTINUATION!!!!!!!!!!!!

Part eight starts HERE!!!!!!

 

 

 

 

 
 
 
VERSION 1!!!!!!!!!!!
 
 
 
Part eight....
 

M&S's, Chandler and Monica are standing on opposite sides of the room, much
where they were when the last scene took off,

Mon:     [softly] So what is it? What do you wanna tell me?
Chan:             [confident] Well, I have been thinking and I have reached a decision...
Mon:     You have said that already.....
Chan:    Sorry...
Mon      Don't be.... just tell me...
Chan:             [noticing the box] Are you going somewhere?
Mon:     Yeah... Sam and I have decided to get a change of scene...
Chan:             [confused] You are going on holiday with a box?
Mon:     No... no... we are moving...
Chan:             [shocked] You're what?.... Moving as in a different apartment?
Mon:     Yip,

Chan:            Different building?

Mon:     Yip,
Chan:             Different state?
Mon:     No of course not we can't leave the area, Sam's school is here as are his friends...
Chan:    And his family, [he looks at Mon harshly]
Mon:     You wanna tell me what you came to say?
Chan:    Not until you tell me you and Sam are staying here...
Mon:     We can't... we can't afford it...
Chan:    Crap Monica....you have always been able to afford this place with your gran paying some of the rent.
Mon: Well... [obviously lying] Gran died... yeah she died... [Chandler just
looks at her] Ok so she didn't die...
Chan:    So you'll stay?
Mon:     We can't Chandler I think it might be best for all involved if we just got away from here
Chan:    Away from me you mean?
Mon:     That's not what I said...
Chan:    But it's what you meant.... [Monica looks at the floor]
Mon:     What were you gonna tell me?

Chan:    [harsh] You can’t take him away from me again Mon.

Mon:     [she looks up shocked] I never deprived you of ANYTHING…

Chan:    But why was that huh ? guilt? Now I know you think you can take him away from me…

Mon:            [snapping] Of course not Chandler don’t be so melodramatic… I would never take him away from you or vice versa… he NEEDS you…

Chan:    [softly] And I need him….

Mon:     [looking at him] What did you come here to say? Just tell me…. [pleading] PLEASE.
Chan:    [looking at her] Tell me you'll stay... [Monica walks over and sits on the sofa silently] PLEASE... [she stays silent, he walks over and sits beside her, quite close... he lifts her chin to look at him, she looks surprised, they look into each others eyes... ] Monica... I NEED you... [she smiles]
Mon:     [happy] You do?

Chan:    But… [Mon’s face falls]

Mon:     [closing her eyes] Please no but…

Chan:    I’m so sorry…

Mon:     [hurt] You’re breaking up with me?

Chan:    Our shortest relationship ever? … No Mon I’m not breaking up with you [she lights up again] as such… I just need time… a lot of time, I HAVE to sort all this out in my head… I still don’t understand, [she opens her mouth he puts his finger to her lips] I don’t want you to explain… not right now… I just need you to know that…

Mon:     Go on…

Chan:    [looking into her eyes] I love you… [he leans over and kisses her VERY passionately... she responds]

Mon:     You mean that? [she is visibly ecstatic]
Chan:             [smiling] With all my heart... so will you stay?
Mon:             [smiling] Just try and stop me...
Chan:    [she kisses him, he pulls back] Where is Sam?
Mon:     Down stairs with the guys...
Chan:    [raises his eyebrows suggestively] really?

Mon:            [smiling] I thought you waned to take things slowly? Take TIME?

Chan:            [sarcastic] Yeah well you know… while we’re here and everything [they kiss, the guys burst in, they all look mad, ready to yell until, they see C&M making out and they all stop dead, C&M quickly jump apart and off the sofa]
C&M:    Umm....
Rach:             [amazed] Oh.... [Joey clears his throat]
Phoe:             [smiling] I was right.... see Joey I was right...
Joey:    How do you do that Phoebe?
Phoe:             [boasting] It just comes naturally...
Ross:    [mad] WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE???
Chan:             Well....ummm... there is an explanation....isn't there Mon...
Mon:     Oh yeah of course there is... why don't you tell them Chandler...
Chan:    I think it would come better from you.....
Ross:    [hands on his hips, tapping his foot] I am still waiting for an answer...
Chan:    [sighs, stern] Well you know what? You'll be waiting a while, 'cause there is no explanation short of I love her....and she loves me...
Ross:    You gonna pull that one AGAIN?
Chan:    Oh Ross, you know what...[he marches up to Ross, him and Ross start yelling , everyone joins in....till Mon steps back...]
Mon:     Hey guys... [everyone keeps yelling] Chandler... [the yelling continues] GUYS!!!
Rach:    What is it Mon? [looking at Chandler] aside from the obvious...
Mon:             [panicked] Where is Sam?
Guys:    Ummm...
Joey:    He must still be down stairs...
Mon:     You left him there?
Phoe:    We were in a rush... he told us you were moving.....
Chan:    What and that makes it ok to leave a kid alone in the street... [he runs out, Mon follows, with her and Chandlers jackets, the guys follow guiltily...]

Central Perk, Chandler enters and looks around... he doesn't see Sam, he
runs over to Gunther...

Chan:    Gunther you seen Sam?
Gunt:    Yeah he was here a while ago with your group, he left just after them...
Chan     Did you see which way he went?
Gunt:    No not really I just assumed he was going home with the others...
Chan:             Thanks... [Mon and the others enter, Mon runs over to Chandler]
Mon:     Well? [he puts his arm round her, and kisses her forehead]
Chan:    He's not here..
Mon:     [hysterical] Well where is he?
Chan:    I dunno, Mon... [he runs outside and starts to look around...he grabs a guy]
Guy:      HEY!
Chan:    Sorry, look I am looking for a kid, about... so high, brown hair, blue eyes, a boy, Sam...
Guy:     Sorry dude, I can't help you... might try the police officer over there though... [he points down the road a bit]
Chan:             Thanks... [he runs over to the police officer] Hey sir.... sorry to trouble you but I am looking for a small boy, about so high, brown hair blue eyes, his name is Sam have you seen him?
Cop:      Yeah I seen him....
Chan:    [smiles, sigh of relief] Thank god... where is he...
Cop:      He's at the hospital....
Chan:    [in shock] He's what?
Cop:      Yeah, he ran out in front of a cab... thought he saw someone he knew on the other side of the street supposedly... apparently it wasn’t who he thought it was  though....
Chan:             [devastated] Oh my god...
Cop:      yeah... pretty sad huh?
Chan:    Is he ok?
Cop:      I dunno... they took him to the hospital pretty quick though....
Chan:    Are you sure this is the same kid we are talking about? I mean he can't have been alone more than five, ten minutes....tops...
Cop:      That's all it takes... it only takes seconds for an accident to happen, this kid was lucky there was an ambulance in the vicinity...
Chan:  [he glances over his shoulder at Monica and the guys standing just a little way off, he turns back, he looks in complete shock] I've gotta tell her... how do I tell her...
Cop:      You ok man? You look kinda pale...How do you know the kid?
Chan:    [not hearing the cop] Where did they take him?
Cop:      Sorry man, I can't give out that information...
Chan:    I'm his... I'm his dad...
Cop:      [the cop looks VERY shocked] Wow, I am SOO sorry.... yeah um, I'll give you the details hang on.... let me just radio on ahead...
 

Cut to Mon and the guys...
Mon:     What is taking Chandler so long?
Joey:    Maybe they know each other and they are catching up on old times.... [everyone looks at him in disbelief]
Ross:    While Sam is missing?
Joey:    Hey I don't hear you coming up with any more comforting words...
Mon:   [looking at Chandler] he doesn't look so good... maybe the cop knows something... I'm gonna go over...
Rach:    [pulling Mon back] No Mon...let Chandler handle this...he will keep his head Mon you know that... the cop won't give out more information with a hysterical mother to worry about will he?
Mon:     Rach....
Rach:    Yeah?
Mon:     You got kids?
Rach:    You know I don't...
Mon:     Well till you do, why don't you SHUT THE HELL UP!!! [Rachel is hugely taken aback... the guys all step back from Mon, shocked and surprised, Mon turns to walk over to see Chandler walking toward her, she looks at him helplessly, he looks away from her] Something's wrong... very wrong...
Ross:    Why do you say that?
Mon:     [looking at Chandler] Look at him.... he won't look at me... he is pale, and look at the cop, he looks sorry.... plus Chandler has that piece of paper...
Joey: Maybe it is a missing persons number... [everyone looks at him in disbelief]
Rach: Was that supposed to help?
Phoe: It helped me, at least if he is missing he ain't dead... [everyone looks at her in shock]
Mon:     Why don't we all keep our words of comfort to ourselves for a while huh? [Chandler approaches, Mon walks over to him] What... what is it?
Chan:    [he is visibly shocked, upset and nervous] Umm... well...
Mon:     Chandler you are making me nervous... look at me...[he doesn't] Where is Sam.. Chandler?
Chan:    Sam is at the hospital Mon... he was hit by a cab... [the guys all gasp, Mon starts to get hysterical]
Mon:  What? No... no he's not... he was only alone a few minutes... not my Sam... our Sam... he is ok... he isn't at the hospital... Chandler....tell me it's not true? Chandler.... please... [she starts to cry] tell me it's not true.....please... [Ross walks over and hugs her, but she pushes him away] Don't touch me... no one touch me....[Mon steps back from them]
Chan:    Monica, calm down...
Mon:     Calm down? Calm down are you joking... well ha ha VERY funny, is this all just one big joke? Huh.... [Chandler reaches for her hand, but she pulls away] I SAID no one touch me... that includes you… [she starts hyperventilating]
Joey:  Oh my god... is she ok?
Rach: NO I don't think so Joey....someone go into the coffee shop and get a paper bag... [Phoebe runs off] Monica... look at me... sweetie... [she takes Mon by the shoulders] look at me sweetie... now you have to calm down.... you are no help to anyone in this state... just take deep breaths... [Rach pushes Chandler out the way] Give her some room here people... [everyone steps back] Just take slow deep breathes, focus on breathing.... [Rachel starts to show her what to do, Monica calms a little, Phoebe comes back with
the bag, Rachel gives it to Monica] Here breathe into this.... slowly.... that’s right.... good, now calm down.... [Mon is breathing almost normally again, she takes the bag away from her mouth]
Mon:     [to Chandler without looking at him] Where is he? Which hospital.... [he hands her the piece of paper without looking at her]
Phoe:    You want me to get a cab Mon?
Mon:     [calmly] No... we'll take the bus.... [she eerily, calmly walks down the sidewalk, the guys follow, her, minus Chandler, who looks at the road, there is a faint stain of blood, Chandler swallows hard and follows the others]

Hospital, Monica rushes up to the hospital main desk, the others are not to
far behind...

Mon:     Sam Geller?
Nrse:    Excuse me?
Mon:     We are looking for Sam Geller, a six year old boy, he was hit by a cab, he was brought in a quite while ago...
Nrse:    [checks computer] Are you a relative?
Mon:     I am his mother...
Nrse    He is in surgery right now... but if you go up to the ICU they should be able to tell you more there...
Mon:     [taken aback] surgery? ICU? [Joey pts his hand on her shoulder]
Phoe:    [to Mon] Let's just go see him, I'm sure it's not that bad...
Nrse:    We have to monitor his progress closely...
Ross:    Well what is wrong with him?
Rach:    What does he need surgery for?
Nrse:    As I said only the doctors can give an accurate report of Sam's condition...
Joey:    Where is the ICU?
Nrse:    3rd floor... [the gang proceed to the lifts]
Mon:     [in disbelief] I can't believe this is happening...
Ross:    [putting his arm around her] Can I get you anything?
Mon:     My son ... [Ross hits the elevator button]
Chan:             [shakily] I'm gonna take the stairs guys....
Mon:     I'll come with you...

Ross:    But the elevator will be quicker Mon…

Mon:     I have to feel like I’m doing something… not just standing around…
Rach:    Ok, we'll meet you up there...
Ross:    [looks suspiciously @ Chandler] You want me to come with you Mon?
Mon:     [Seeing his look @ Chandler, snaps] No ROSS... you get the elevator...
Joey:    If we get there first we'll find where he is and wait for you...
Mon:     Thanks Joe... [C&M start up the stairs]
 

Stairwell, C&M are walking in silence, Monica glances @ Chandler, who is
staring straight ahead, Monica reaches over and tries to take his hand but
he puts it in his pocket..

Mon:     [teary eyed] Chandler I'm sorry... I never meant for this to happen...
Chan:             [toneless] You make it sound like it was your fault...
Mon:     Well it was.. [Chandler stops and turns to her]
Chan:             [disbelief] How can you say that? Of course it's not...
Mon:     Well if I had never taken him down there in the first place... [starting to cry] and been so irrational as too tell him we were moving then he would never had.... [she stops and composes herself]
Chan:    But if I had never upset you, you would never have done that...
Mon:     But it was me who hid the fact that you were his father and upset you.....
Chan:    [realising] Mon this is silly... we are going back to something six and seven years ago... if we go back long enough it was MY fault for upsetting you enough to break up with me... and hide the truth from me...
Mon:     Or it was mine for falling in love with you... [they look into each others eyes]
Chan:     We should get to him...
Mon:     To OUR son...
Chan:    Yeah... OUR son…

They reach the right floor, Chandler reaches for the door handle that leads
them out the stairwell, Monica pulls him back...
Mon:             [fearful] Chandler I'm scared...
Chan:    [turning to her] So am I Mon.... So am I...
Mon:     I don't know what we'll find......
Chan:              Whatever it is we'll face it together... [he takes her hand and gives it a friendly squeeze, she smiles half heartedly, as does he]
They enter the ICU, they look around for the guys and they walk over...
Joey:   The nurse told us to wait here, she said the doctor would come over and let us know what was going on... [Ross looks at C&M holding hands]
Chan:    Are we making you uncomfortable?
Ross:    [lying] No not at all.... My sister needs what is best for her...
Phoe:    [matter of fact] Which is Chandler... [A female doctor approaches]
DrB:    Hello I am Doctor Black... I've been in charge of Sam's treatment since he was admitted... I'm looking for his parents... [Mon steps forward, she is still holding Chandlers hand so the guys don't think anything of it when he steps forward too] Ok come with me please [C&M go with the doctor, the guys look surprised]
Joey:    I guess he is the best one to support her...
Ross:    Yeah but he is not family...
Rach:             [watching C&M round a corner] Ross just drop it...
 

The doctors office, C&M sit on one side of the desk, the doctor on the other...
DrB:     Right Mr and Mrs Geller...
Mon:     Oh we're not married...
DrB:     Oh sorry Miss???
Mon:             Actually I'm Miss Geller, this is Mr Bing... it's a long story...
DrB:     Ok I won't ask... but you are Sams mother and father?
Chan:    Yes we are... [he looks at Mon]
DrB:             [solemn] I wish I had better news for you...
Mon:             [Dropping Chandlers hand] What's wrong?
DrB:    Sam was quite badly injured... he suffered terrible internal injuries which the surgery is an attempt to remedy...
Chan:    [stone faced] But?
DrB:      But we’ll just have to wait and see…. If he gets through the night he has an excellent chance….
Mon:      [standing, she slams her fist on the doctors desk] He better have an excellent chance, [Chandler stands and holds her back trying to calm her] YOU had better get out there and do every god damned thing in your power to make MY son better...
Chan:    Mon, calm down, come on...
Mon:     [turning to Chandler] What you are gonna stand here and take this, why isn’t she out there helping him? I refuse to believe medical science can’t cure injuries from a simple road accident… I mean are you taking this? Can you accept this from that bitch?
Chan:             [shocked] Monica? [He glances at the doctor]
Mon:     Oh so you wanna look at her? FINE... you stand and stare all you want Bing... I am gonna go help OUR son... [she storms out and slams the door]

The hospital halls, Monica is looking at he doors and charts looking for
Sam... Chandler rushes out the doctors office, looks up and down the hall
for Monica he spots her and runs up to her.

Chan:    [mad] What the hell was that?
Mon:     Where is your doctor friend?
Chan:    Look Mon, I know why you are being so irrational...
Mon:     Oh I'm irrational am I?
Chan:    Mon our son is in a critical condition I think we have the right to be
stressed...
Mon:     Stress? Stress? ... YOU don't know the first thing about stress...
Chan:             [snapping] This is hard for me too you know....
Mon:     Oh I doubt it... you have been his dad for five minutes I have been
his mum all his life....
Chan:    [stops] I suppose that means he means more to you does it?
Mon:             [walking right up to him] Chandler...
Chan:    [snaps] WHAT?
Mon:     Go to hell...
Chan:    [mad] Only after you [sarcastic] my dear...[he storms off, Mon growls]
 

The doctor emerges out of her office.... and approaches Mon cautiously...
DrB:     Mon I am sorry for what you are going through and what has happened to
your son...
Mon:     [still mad and looking at doors] Uh hu...
DrB:     And I promise you I will do EVERYTHING in my power for Sam.... [Mon stops and looks at her, her face drops]
Mon:     But?
DrB:     Sam was rushed into the ER, assessed and brought straight to surgery however there is very little we can do now...
Mon:             [shocked, sobered] What does that mean?
DrB:     I would be happy to talk you through Sams condition if you want...
Mon:             [spaced] ok...
DrB:     We should step into my office...
Mon:     Of course sorry... [they walk toward the office]

Waiting area, everyone minus C&M...
Joey:    I wish they would tell US what is going on...
Phoe:             Chandler and Monica have been gone almost an hour...
Ross:    I say we go find them....
Rach:    No need... [the guys look at her in shock, she nods toward Monica walking toward them she looks very pale and tired, they stand as she approaches]
Ross:    How is he?
Mon:     I... well... I haven't seen him yet... he is down the hall in post op paediatrics, but he is still under the anaesthetic from his surgery... they think I should be with him when he wakes up ‘cause he will be very disorientated....
Joey:     Is he ok? How long will he have to be here for?
Mon:     [upset, uneasy] Well he won't be here long... they think only a day or so ... they think…
Phoe:    [smiling] that is incredible news...YAY!!! [everyone is smiling and hugging till they see Monica, expressionless]
Mon:     Umm guys have you seen Chandler, I have to talk to him...
Rach:    We thought he was with you... we haven't seen him since he left with you...
Mon:             [surprised] WHAT??
Joey:    Yeah he went away with you and that doctor, we haven't seen him since...
Mon:     That was an hour ago...
Phoe:    We know...
Ross:   What happened?
Mon:     Umm... I dunno... I was yelling at him, he was yelling at me and then he.... he stormed off... I think...
Joey:             [disbelief] You think?
Phoe:    well we gotta find him...
Mon:     I'm gonna go see Sam...
Ross:    But Chandler is like missing...
Mon:             Whatever... [she wanders off, everyone looks after her in disbelief]

Sams room... Sam is lying in a bed, covered in cuts and bruises, connected
to a bunch of machines, and an IV.... Mon enters and stops as soon as she
does, she looks at Sam a moment in the bed, and holds her hand to her
mouth...
Mon:             [quietly] Oh my God... what did he do to deserve this? [she approaches silently, and hesitantly, when she reaches him, she sits and looks at him... she slowly and gently takes his hand, she has tears in her eyes] Hey sweetie, Mommy here... Look what you did... [looking down] or what I did... I am so sorry honey... you don't deserve this by any means... I can't imagine what kind of God would let this happen to such a good little boy as you... [she kisses his hand] I want you to wake up soon sweetie, talk to mommy, I need you to make me feel better... [she starts to cry] Oh I am sorry... I am SOO sorry... [Chandler enters silently] What have I done to you Sam? All these years, I have done you so many wrongs... and now I can't remedy that... I will never be able to show you how sorry I am... or how much I love you... you deserve so much more than anything I gave you.... how could you ever forgive me....
Chan:    [softly] He does Mon... [she turns surprised, she quickly dries her eyes and stands to face him, he has a coffee he puts it on the table beside him, and walks over to her, he takes her hand] He knows Mon... he knows how much you love him... and he forgives you...
Mon:     How do you know that?
Chan:             [touching her cheek] He is his fathers son... [Mon closes her eyes and half smiles]
Mon:   Chandler I'm sorry, I never meant... [he puts his finger to her mouth]
Chan:    I know Mon... me too... [he hugs her, they stand in the hug for a
while]
Sam:             [groggily] Mommy? [C&M rush to his side, Mon takes his hand]

Mon:     [tears in her eyes again] I’m here sweetie….

Sam:     Where am I?

Mon:     You’re at the hospital sweetie, you had a little accident…

Sam:     What happened? You were crying… we were moving…

Mon:     Don’t worry about that now honey, everything will be fine, you just have to rest and get better for Mommy ok?

Sam:            [noticing Chandler behind Mon] Hi Chandler…

Chan:    Hey Sam… [he strokes Sams hair]

Sam:     Is Mommy ok?

Chan:    Yeah she will be fine…. It is you we are worrying about… how do you feel?

Sam:     Like I was IN the video game instead of playing it [C&M smile] My insides hurt…

Mon:            [panicking] You want me to get a nurse?

Sam:     It’ll be ok… can I come home now?
Chan:    Not yet…

Sam:     I feel dopey…

Chan:    They gave you drugs, to make you feel better, that’s why…

Sam:     I’m tired….

Mon:     Well you sleep honey…

Sam:     Ok [he slowly closes his eyes, Chandler kisses his forehead, Mon kisses his hand, they look at him]

A while later, Chandler walks over to  get his coffee…. Mon watches him…

Chan:    [he takes a drink then walks over and gives the cup to Mon, who also takes a drink] I can’t wait to take him outta here… [Mon stares into the cup] He will hate hospitals after this…

Mon:            Chandler… I’ve been thinking…

Chan:    [pulling over another chair and sitting next to her, both r looking @ Sam] Me too…

Mon:     Yeah? What about?

Chan:    You first…

Mon:     Well Chandler first I have to tell you something….

Chan:            Something else?

Mon:     Just DON’T stop me this time…

Chan:    ok…

Mon:     It is Sam….

Chan:    What about him?
Mon:     That is what I wanna explain…

 

The waiting room, the guys are sitting round solemnly….

Joey:    Where could he be?

Phoe:    We have looked everywhere….

Rach:    He MUST be with Monica and Sam…

Ross:    We could never lose two people in one day…

Joey:    Well  I am gonna go find out…. [he gets up]

Phoe:    Sam won’t die though right? [Joey sits]

Rach:            [starting to cry] This is all our fault.

Ross:    [mad] We should NEVER have left him on his own….

Joey:            Chandler and Monica will never speak to us again…

Phoe:    I can’t imagine our lives without Sam….

Rach:            Especially of late, he was everywhere… he is such a good kid…

Ross:    He spent so much time with Monica and Chandler…. They were like his parents, which is probably what pushed them together….

Joey:    I wonder how long it has been going on for…. I certainly never knew yet…

Phoe:    It can’t have been going on none of us knew…. Or at least Ross and I didn’t… [Everyone looks @ Rachel]

Rach:    I never knew…. I wonder if Sam knew…. What do you think?

Ross:    I doubt it he would have told us otherwise… right? [Doctor Black approaches]

DrB:     You are friends of Sam Geller right?

Ross:    I’m his uncle….

DrB:     Are his parents with him?

Rach:    Well his Mom is…

Joey:    And we think Chandler is in there

DrB:     His father? Mr Bing?

Phoe:    Yes Mr Bing, but…

Ross:    Mr Bing is not Sams father…

DrB:            [shocked] Oh… he’s not?

Rach:    No….

DrB:     So why is he on the birth certificate?

All:            [shocked] He’s what?

DrB:     See for yourselves…. [she shows them a copy of his birth certificate…. They all look] His Mother had it… Miss Geller, she gave it to me, she had all his official documents… very organised… [the guys step back in shock] .

Ross:    All this time… we never knew…

DrB:     I have to get to my patient… I’m sorry… [she leaves, the guys all sit and look vacant, shocked]

 

Sams room, Chandler is mad, Monica looks upset and mad, they are standing arguing…

Chan:    And you just never thought to tell me this.

Mon:     Its not like I had much opportunity…

Chan:            [slumping in his chair looking defeated] I can’t believe we might lose him…

Mon:     I’m sorry [she sits in her chair next to  him] I can’t believe this is happening, we find each other and then lose the thing that binds us together…

Chan:    My son…. OUR son…. Are we going to lose him? Short of a miracle…

Mon:     [she takes his hand] I don’t know, we can only wait … wait and see…

Chan:    Will he ever know the truth? Huh? That I am his father? Will he ever know?
Mon:     We’ll tell him, of course he will know…

Chan:    I can’t believe you kept him from me… all these years… you kept him to yourself… to hell with the rest of us right?

Mon:     You don’t mean that…

Chan:            [standing, throwing her hand back to her] Yeah Mon I do…. You lied to him and to me, just so you could keep him to yourself… [walking toward the door, tears in his eyes] I should’ve known better than to think THIS [he gestures between him and Mon] Could ever work…

Mon:            [whispering] You don’t mean that… We love each other Chandler…I thought you forgave me?

Chan:    No Mon… I don’t know that I ever can either… [he turns away, tears start to run down her face, he turns back sharply] And as for love…. [she looks up] Just ‘cause I think you look cute in a tight dress doesn’t mean I want to spend my life with you…

Mon:     I don’t believe you… I know you are upset… you don’t mean any of this…. You do love me, you told me, and I believe you, I always will…

Chan:    You wanna believe something? Believe this… it looks like you ain’t the only good liar in this room… and I don’t mean Sam…. [DrB enters]

DrB:            [sympathetically] Hello… how are you all doing? [Chandler just exits, Mon sits vacantly]

Mon:     As well as can be expected…

 

The roof, the next day C&M have both been with Sam all night, he was mostly sleeping, neither said a word to each other, Chandler is standing looking out across the city… Monica looks out the roof door notices him and walks over crossing her arms, hugging his jacket closer to her, bearing the cold. She approaches.

Mon:     I figured you would want to be alone but still near by… you know….

Chan:    [staring out across the city] It’s beautiful isn’t it…

Mon:     [trying to follow his gaze] What is?

Chan:    All of it… we never appreciate what we have…

Mon:     [staring out] Yeah… that’s true… [silence] I brought you this… [she hands him his jacket… he takes it]

Chan:            Thanks… [looking at her] Where is yours?
Mon:     Well I figured I needed an excuse… if you were still not in the mood for talking then I could tell you I was just bringing your jacket and then leave… [he looks at her attempt at a smile, he looks into her eyes desperately, he gives his jacket back…she is surprised] You don’t want it?

Chan:    You keep it, you need it more than me… [she puts it on, he hesitantly goes to put his arm around her, but he pulls back, she notices out the corner of her eye and steps closer to him, he half smiles and puts his arm round her, he whispers into her hair] I’m sorry… SO SO sorry… [she closes her eyes] I don’t know what came over me… I don’t deserve you…

Mon:     [tears running down her face] You don’t deserve this…

Chan:    None of us do… [LONG pause, they look out at the view together] Just think of all the things he’ll miss out on… high school, growing up, having fun, making friends.

Mon:     [tearing up even more] college, career, marriage,  home…

Chan:    [tearing up too] Beer…

Mon:     [pause] Music…

Chan:    [pause] Action Movies…

Mon:     [pause] Chick flicks…

Chan:    [pause] computer games…

Mon:     [pause] real literature…

Chan:    [pause] the sunset…

Mon:     [pause] long walks in the park… in the rain…

Chan:    [pause] Sitting inside on a cold stormy night…

Mon:     [pause] Eating ice cream….

C&M:    [pause] When you’re depressed…

Chan:    [pause] Porn… [Mon looks at him] I mean… late night trash TV…

Mon:     [pause] Crying… the bad times

Chan:    [pause] laughing… think of all the laughs he’ll lose… the good times…

Mon:     [pause] family fights…

Chan:    [pause] travelling

Mon:     [pause] Dreaming… finding his goals…

Chan:    [pause] fantasising…

Mon:     [pause] sex…

Chan:    [pause] love…

Mon:     [pause] friendship [she squeezes Chandlers hand]

Chan:    [pause] Arguing…

Mon:     [pause] fighting…

Chan:    [pause] making up…. [he squeezes her hand, long silence]

Mon:     [pause] Going to the dentist alone..

Chan:    [pause] Buying a newspaper…

Mon:     [pause] Going to the mall…

Chan:    [pause] Watching infomercials…

Mon:     [pause] Collecting the mail…

Chan:    [pause] Bills…

Mon:     [pause] cooking…

Chan:    [pause] surfing the web…

Mon:     [pause] Going to the library…

Chan:    [pause] driving….

Mon:     [pause] drinking coffee

Chan:    [pause] having a real conversation…

Mon:     [pause] Adolescence…

Chan:    [pause] Puberty…

Mon:     [pause] asking a girl out…

Chan:    [pause] Being rejected…

Mon:     [pause] Being accepted…

Chan:    [pause] Going to dinner… out to a movie..

Mon:     [pause] FALLING in love… [Chandler kisses her cheek, both of them are crying] We have to go Chandler… [he looks concerned]

Chan:            [terrified] Sams not… is he?

Mon:     No… but he is… well he is finding it harder and harder to breathe on his own, he will sleep soon, we just don’t know if he’ll wake up and the doctor says we should be with him… [Chandler closes his eyes pained] I told the guys EVERYTHING they are in talking to him now… but if we wanna talk to him… to umm… [she clams up]

Chan:    To say goodbye? [Mon nods]

Mon:     We have to do it now…

Chan:    I can’t believe this… a day ago he was fine… perfectly healthy… now we are saying goodbye when I feel like I barely know him…

Mon:            [hysterically crying] I am SOO sorry Chandler…. How will you ever forgive me…

Chan:            [cradling her face in his hands, wiping away her tears, she does the same for him] Don’t worry about that Mon…[takes her hand] Lets go see him [they exit]

 

 

Sams room a nurse is present, all the guys are sitting around his bed trying to be cheery, but are obviously upset,  Sam is half heartedly telling a lame Chandler joke, M&C enter, the guys look at them with pleading eyes, they all laugh when Sam finishes.

 

Rach:    [tears in her eyes] Well Sam, I’m gonna go get a coffee, I’ll see you soon ok? [she kisses him and hugs him for a while, then pulls back and looks into his eyes] And don’t be scared ok?

Sam:            [confused] Ok… [she kisses him again and slowly exits without taking her eyes off him]

Phoe:    [to Sam] Yeah I’ll go with Rach… she might need some help you know what she is like [Sam smiles]

Sam:     Good idea… [Phoebe kisses him and looks at him a while]

Joey:    [very upset] Have you seen the hot nurses here? I am losing flirting time… I should go make it up… [he hugs Sam tightly, kisses him and smiles at him] You’re alright kid… [Sam smiles]

Chan:    Ross would you mind giving us a minute?

Ross:            [distraught] Umm, yeah ok… [he kisses Sam and leaves, C&M go sit by Sam]

Sam:     If I didn’t know those guys so well I would be worried… [he flinches, C&M sit up worried, the nurse looks concerned, she whispers to C&M]

Nrse:    He is leaving us… you won’t have much time….

Mon:     [crying, wiping her tears] Could you give us a minute?

Nrse:    Of course I’ll go get the doctor… [she increases Sams medication and leaves]

Chan:    [to Sam] Hey buddy… how you feeling?

Sam:     Pretty good actually… real tired though…

Mon:     Well Chandler and I have something to tell you..

Sam:            [quietly] Oh yeah? What is it?

Mon:     [looking reassuringly  at Chandler] Well honey it’s about your dad…

Chan:    yeah there is something you should know…

Sam:     Can I get a drink…

Mon:            [standing, fetching a glass from his nightstand] Sure honey [she helps him drink]

Chan:    We want you too know…

Sam:            [interrupting] Can you tell Lauren that I’m sorry we fell out… she was right… can you tell her I’m sorry?

Mon:     Sure honey…

Sam:     And our project, its in my bag… can you get the teacher to mark it… Lauren did it with me… we did it together…

Chan:    ok…

Mon:     Sammy… we really wanna talk to you…

Sam:     Oh and tell Joey that we’ll call the tournament a tie… since we never finished it…

Chan:    Sam we REALLY have to tell you something… [the doc enters]

Mon:     Can we have just a few more minutes?

DocB:   [she checks his read outs and shakes her head]

Chan:    [tears in his eyes] Please Doc this is important…

Sam:            Chandler [Chandler turns] come over here [Chandler stands up and walks over to him] I wanna whisper, come down here [Chandler leans in] [Sam whispers] I know… [Chandler looks confused] I know that you’re my dad… [Chandler looks at him in shock]

Chan:            [whispering] How do u know?

Sam:     I just do….

Chan:            [stunned] How long?

Sam:     Long enough [he coughs, pained, Chandler stands back, tears running down his face]

Chan:    I can’t believe this…

Sam:            Mommy…  [Mon stands crying, she takes his hand] Thank you mommy… I have the greatest dad on earth… [Monica takes Chandlers hand]

Mon:            [attempting to sound brave] We’re together now sweetie… Chandler and I… so when we get you home we can be one big happy family… we’ll all be together…

Sam:            [smiling] How long would that last? [they all smile]

Chan:            [serious] I love you son….

Sam:     I love you too… dad… [he and Chandler smile, Sam slowly closes his eyes, Chandler and Monica sit beside him, Chandler puts his arm round Monica and pulls her close, she rests her head on his shoulder]

FADE OUT slowly…

 

 

The END!!!