HER FIRST STEPS
BY CREASSYA



This takes place nine months after The Joys Of Parenthood. Being that Chandler and Monica will be getting married, they've been looking for a place to live together. When Jasmine turned six months old, Monica started back to work. She wasn't crazy about the idea of leaving Jasmine with a baby-sitter, but she was ready to return to work. She and Chandler had to put money away for a new house. With Rachel being her maid of honor, they spent a lot of time on the phone. She and Phoebe came to Florida for the weekend a month ago to help with the planning of the wedding.
 

While Chandler was on the phone with Monica, she had to keep putting him on hold because Jasmine was getting into everything. She was now trying to walk, and was tearing up Monica's plants in the process. Monica didn't keep anything on the table because Jasmine had a habit of throwing things on the floor. When Monica got back on the phone, she had Jasmine sitting on her lap. She put the phone to her ear so that Chandler could hear her. Whenever she heard her father's voice, her face lit up and she became excited. He was at work, and Monica had the day off.

"You having fun?" He teased.

"Not really." She said smiling.

"Is she still trying to walk?"

"Oh yeah."

"I hope I don't miss it."

"Me either. What if the baby-sitter is the first to see her walk." Monica said sadly.

"I know."

"I shouldn't have went back to work so soon."

"Mon, you were already out of work for eight months."

"I know, but I still feel a little guilty for having to leave her. I know it's stupid being that we don't have anyone else to look after her while we're at work."

"It doesn't sound stupid."

"I knew there was a reason that I loved you."

Later that night, Monica and Jasmine were at Chandler's apartment. Jasmine was asleep in her crib in the corner of his room. Chandler and Monica were sitting on the bed.

"Can you believe it? Next year, we'll be married," Chandler said touching Monica's face.

"I know."

"Are you getting nervous?"

"Of course not. Not yet anyway. You?"

"No."

"So, have you decided on your best man?"

"I'm thinking of asking Ross. I mean, I've known him longer."

"When are you telling him?"

"Probably tomorrow."

"Good, because before you know it, next year will be here."

The next morning, while Monica was still in bed asleep, Chandler stood over her with his camcorder. She turned over on her back and he smiled. Jasmine crawled in the room after him. When Monica opened her eyes and saw Chandler standing there with the camcorder focused on her, she put the covers over her head.

"Chandler, I'm gonna kill you!"

"Awww Come on honey, you're still gorgeous in the morning."

She took the covers from her face and smiled. She sat up, removed the covers from her legs, and got out of bed.

"Now, I have to use the bathroom. I don't think you wanna take the camera in there."

Chandler pressed pause and laid the camera on the bed. Monica knelt down to give Jasmine a kiss on the forehead and left the room. As Jasmine crawled after her, Chandler picked the camera up off the bed and began recording her. He slowly followed her as she made her way out of the room. Once in the hallway, he stood in front of her and began walking backwards. When she saw him with the camera in his hands, she crawled towards him smiling. He walked backwards until he reached the living room, and stood in the center of the room while Jasmine made her way to him. When she crawled to his feet, he put the camera on pause and laid it on the table. He wanted to see if she'd walk, so he stood her up, and backed a few inches away from her. He picked up the camera once again and told her to walk to him. She stood there for a few seconds trying to maintain her balance. She put her left foot in front of her and stopped.

"Come on Jazzy, walk to daddy. Come on."

She then put her right foot in front of her and tried her best not to fall. For months, she had been trying to walk, and would always fall down. Chandler held the camera in his right hand while holding out his left hand. When she saw him reaching for her, she started walking slowly. With each step, she paused. Monica came out of the bathroom and walked into the living room. When she saw that Jasmine was walking, she put her hand over her mouth to keep from screaming with excitement. The last time she did that, she lost her balance and fell. Chandler noticed Monica, but kept the camera on Jasmine. When she was about to fall, she stood there until she regained her balance and took a few more steps toward Chandler before she fell. When he put the camera down, he and Monica ran over to her. They were excited that they had finally saw her walk.

"Good girl Jasmine, you walked! I'm so proud of you sweetie," Monica said while hugging her.

When Monica put her down, Chandler picked her up and kept kissing her cheeks. Whenever Chandler would do that, Jasmine laughed. The first time she laughed, sat up by herself, said da da, pulled herself up, crawled, and got her first tooth, were emotional times for Chandler and Monica. Whenever she had a first in anything, they reflected on the beginning of her pregnancy when Keith was stalking her. She arrived at the warehouse the night that he kidnapped Chandler, thinking the worst, and fearing for her life and her unborn child. While fighting with Keith, she worried if Chandler was lying somewhere dead, and that Keith would kill her or either cause her to lose the baby. Chandler remembered Monica being at his bed side talking to him, and him wondering if she was still pregnant. When she finally mentioned the baby, all hope that everything  would be all right, surfaced. While being in a coma, he was able to hear what people said to him. He knew that Monica wasn't excited about being pregnant at first because of all that was going on at the time, but she grew to love the idea of becoming a Mom. They knew that there were many reasons why the bond between them and Jasmine was so strong, but the main reason was because of their unfortunate situation with Keith. Monica still struggled with the fact that she had taken Keith's life, even though it was in self defense. There were many nights where she found it difficult to sleep. She was glad that he was gone and out of their lives, but she didn't want to be the one to kill him. Chandler and Monica were happy with the way their life was going, but ever so often, the thought of Keith enters their mind.

The two of them looked at each other. Monica smiled with tears in her eyes. Chandler put Jasmine back down, and he and Monica embraced.

"We over react to everything don't we?" She asked.

"Well...not everything."

As soon as she and Chandler pulled apart, Monica ran to the phone to call her parents. While she was talking to them, Chandler was on the floor wrestling with Jasmine. Monica loved to watch them play. Jasmine sounded so cute when she laughed. Chandler adored her. She had pretty blue eyes, and dark shiny hair like Monica. By the time the two of them had grown tired of playing around on the floor, Jasmine sat on the carpet trying to pull out her barrettes.

"Jazzy, no."

Jasmine put her hand down and smiled at him. Whenever she smiled, cried, or frowned up her face, he got a lump in his throat. Jasmine had him wrapped around her finger. He spoiled her. Monica did too, but she put her foot down more often, and try to make Chandler do the same. They wanted her to feel loved, but they didn't want to spoil her so much that she wouldn't listen to them when it was time to discipline her. When Monica got off the phone with her Mom, she went over to Chandler, sat between his legs and he wrapped his arms around her. Jasmine stood up, but seconds later, she fell. She didn't hurt herself, she just smiled at her parents and stood up. She slowly walked to them. They both held out their arms and encouraged her to come to them. When she was approaching them, she started to get excited and fell into their arms. Monica wrapped her arms around Jasmine, and Chandler wrapped his arms around the both of them. In his arms, were the two most important women in his life, and at that moment, he felt like he was the luckiest man in the world.

Six months later, The gang was gathered at Chandler's apartment. The guys were chasing Jasmine through the apartment, and the girls were busy planning the wedding. The wedding was now only six months away. There was a slight mix up with Jasmine's dress, but they soon straightened everything out. When Monica left the kitchen and walked into the living room, Joey was crawling around the table after Jasmine. Monica smiled and shook her head.

"Y'know Joey, she acts older than you."

"Thanks."

"Sweetie, do you want anything to eat?" She asked Chandler.

"No honey, I'm fine."

"Okay, let me know if you need anything."

"Oh, I just thought of something I need."

"What is it?"

"Come here," He said.

He got up off the couch, took Monica by the hand, and lead her to his bedroom. Once inside, he closed the door behind them.

"What's wrong?" Monica asked with her faced frowned up.

"Nothing," He answered, coming close to her.

He put his hands to her face and leaned in to kiss her. He kissed her as if he hadn't kissed her in months. She held him tightly around his waist, enjoying the tenderness of his lips and the feel of his tongue in her mouth. At that moment, she wished that everyone in the next room could disappear for a little while. His hands were now in her hair and her hands were on his face. For five minutes, they stood in the center of his bedroom kissing. When they broke the kiss, they both smiled at each other.

"What was that for?" Monica asked.

"What? I can't kiss my fiance'?" He asked with a grin.

Monica gave him a peck on the lips and held him tightly. Chandler was spontaneous and she loved that about him.

"I just wanted to have you to myself for a couple minutes."

"But see now I want you alone for a couple hours," Monica said seductively.

"We can arrange that later."

"Okay," Monica said while caressing his face.

When Monica returned to the kitchen, Jasmine was sitting in Phoebe's lap. She was feeding her an apple. She took a seat next to Rachel and they continued to discuss the wedding plans. While the gang was there, Chandler and Monica didn't have to worry about Jasmine running around getting into everything. They took turns playing with her, which kept her busy and out of trouble. They all adored Jasmine, and she adored them.

An hour later, Chandler dressed Jasmine and was heading out the door with her holding his hand. The guys were taking her to the park for a few hours. Monica went over to the door and gave both of them a kiss before they left.

"How do you think she'll act walking down the aisle?" Rachel asked.

"Well, she loves attention, so I think she'll be fine. At least I hope so."

"You guys should start practicing with her," Phoebe suggested.

"That's a good idea."

"I know."

"Listen, I just want to thank you guys for being here and helping me plan the wedding."

"You don't have to thank us."

"Yes I do. You could have just decided to help me plan the wedding from New York, but you've been coming down here and...it's really been easier on me."

"We don't mind," Phoebe said.

"I love you guys."

"Awww, we love you too."

Phoebe and Rachel got up to hug her. They were really excited that she was getting married. They did whatever she asked them to do. She felt incredibly lucky to have them as her friends. When they broke the hug, Monica sat there thinking about her life, and how everything had fallen in place. Before Chandler came along, she felt like her life was a total mess, with the exception of having good friends by her side. Her relationships before him were disastrous. She seemed to be attracting guys that she had no future with. Once she and Chandler fell in love, everything else slowly but surely became much better. There were some bumps along the way, but it made their love for one another even stronger.

"What do you think?" Rachel asked.

"Huh?"

"Where were you just now?"

"Yeah, what were you thinking about?" Phoebe asked.

"I'm sorry. I was just thinking about how lucky I am. I finally have everything I've always wanted."

"That's right, and you SO deserve it," Phoebe said.

"We're really happy for you," Rachel said.

"Thanks. Now what were you asking me?"

"We were wondering what you thought of these flower arrangements," Rachel said, showing her the picture in the magazine.

"They're okay, but it's not quite what I'm looking for."

"Okay, we'll keep looking."

"Guys, I'm not being a pain am I?"

"Of course not. Not yet anyway," Phoebe said grinning.

"Yeah, I mean, this is your wedding. You can be just as picky as you wanna be. Whatever you want."

"Am I really that picky?"

"Yeah," Phoebe and Rachel answered.

"But it's okay. You want the best," Rachel said.

"I knew you would understand," Monica said smiling.

A few hours later, The guys came back to the apartment. Chandler was carrying Jasmine, who was asleep. Monica smiled and went over to him.

"You guys have fun?"

"Yeah, and she had the most fun, well, besides Joey."

Monica took her out of Chandler's arms slowly and carried her into his room. She took off her shoes and covered her up. She sat there looking at her for a few seconds before giving her a kiss on the cheek. When she was about to walk out of the room, Chandler came in.

"How long has she been sleep?"

"She didn't go to sleep until we were on our way back here."

"She looks so much like you," Chandler said coming up behind her.

"She has your personality, thank God," Monica said laughing.

"What's wrong with your personality?"

"I'm just glad that she has a personality like yours. I'm too neurotic."

"So am I."

"You're not as bad as I am though."

"True."

Monica looked him and smiled. He smiled back and gave her soft peck on the cheek. They quietly left the room and went back into the living room with the gang. Phoebe was sitting on Joey's lap whispering something in his ear. It had to be something about sex, because he had a huge smile on his face.

"You guys need to use Monica's apartment?" Chandler asked.

"Nah, we're checking into a hotel later on."

"Looks like you two need to check into a hotel right now," Monica said.

"Yeah, we should probably do that," Joey said.

"See you guys later," Phoebe said, getting up.

"Have fun you guys," Rachel said to them as they reached the door.

Chandler and Monica smiled at them. They were really cute together. Chandler was still surprised that Joey remained faithful to Phoebe. He had never seen Joey this happy before, and had never seen him so into someone this much. He adored Phoebe, and told Chandler that he doesn't miss having a lot of girlfriends. He admitted to Chandler that being with all those women wasn't fulfilling and that he was lonely. Chandler was surprised to hear him say that because it seemed like he enjoyed being with a different woman every week. He confessed to him that being with Phoebe made him realize just how lonely and incomplete his life was. It was obvious that Phoebe touched something in him because he had never heard Joey express himself in that way before. When Phoebe and Joey left the apartment, Chandler and Monica looked at each other and smiled. They wanted them to experience the same kind of happiness that they've been experiencing. Monica liked Phoebe and Joey's relationship. Their relationship was fun and spontaneous, not that her and Chandler's wasn't, but they were really playful with each other all the time, and really secure within each other. It took her and Chandler a long time before they were completely secure with one another. Their relationship may not be as fun as Phoebe and Joey's relationship, but Chandler and Monica have their fun and they're really romantic and affectionate towards each other. Most importantly, they love each other so much, that they're willing to spend the rest of their lives together.
 
 

NEXT.......LAST NIGHT SINGLE