SOMETHING IN COMMON
BY CREASSYA


This is my Sweet Heart series. It takes place after my non-related fic, Stranger Passing Through. Chandler and Monica met for the first time on the subway around Christmas time. They were stuck on the train due to technical difficulties. While on the train, they began to talk to each other, but didn't get each other's names. Rachel was trying to set the two of them up and they didn't even know it until she showed up at his house on the night of Rachel's father's Christmas party. It's now a few days after Christmas, and Chandler and Monica are still thinking about what a great time they had with each other on their blind date.
 

Monica paced back and forth across the room. Chandler had called her and left a message on her answering machine hours earlier. She was a little nervous about calling him back. She didn't have anything to say. When she finally stopped pacing across her room, she sat on the bed next to her night stand and picked up the phone. She held her breath until she heard his voice on the other end. When he spoke, it took her a few seconds to respond.

"Hi."

"Hello, who's this?" He asked.

"It's Monica."

"I see you got my message."

"Yeah, I just got it."

"So, how are you?" He asked.

"I'm fine."

"Listen, I was wondering if you had a date for New Year's Eve?"

"No."

"Good."

"Good?"

"What I meant was, would like to go out with me?" He asked with his fingers crossed.

"Sure, I would love to."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Rachel didn't put you up to this did she?"

"No."

"I'm glad that she set us up though."

"Me too. Hey listen, can I see you before New Year's Eve?"

"I don't see why not. How about tomorrow?" Monica asked nervously.

"Sounds good."

"All right, I'll see you then."

"Okay."

"Bye."

"Bye."

Monica sat on her bed with a big smile on her face. Seconds later, she realized that she hadn't mentioned where they should meet. As soon as she reached for the phone, it rang.

"Hello."

"It's me again," Chandler said.

"Hello again."

"It just occurred to me that you didn't mention where we should meet each other."

"I know. I was just about to call you back."

"So, where do you wanna meet?"

"We can meet at the coffeehouse at seven. Sound good?"

"Sounds great."

The next day, Monica walked into the coffeehouse and saw Chandler at the counter. When he got up to go over to the couch, he saw Monica and smiled. They both walked over the couch and took a seat next to each other.

"You're early," Chandler said.

"You too."

"So, what do we do now?"

"I have no idea."

"Can I buy you a cup of coffee?"

"No, I'm okay."

Monica looked into his gorgeous face and couldn't stop smiling. He was the cutest guy she had seen in a long time. She loved his personality. He was a lot of fun to be around. He was talking to her, but she wasn't listening to a word he was saying to her. She was mesmerized by his smile and his blue eyes. She hadn't realized how hard she was staring at him until he waved his hand in front of her face.

"You there?"

"Oh, I'm sorry," She said embarrassed.

"Wow, do I look that good?" He asked grinning.

"Actually you do."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah," Monica answered with a smile on her face.

"Y'know, you're quite a knock out yourself," He commented.

"That means a lot coming from you."

Chandler blushed and said nothing. The entire time he and Monica were there, they flirted with each other. Monica couldn't remember a time where she was so attracted to someone like this. On their way out, Phoebe and Rachel came in.

"Hey guys," Rachel said smiling.

"Hey Rach," Chandler spoke.

"What are you two up to?"

"We're going to the movies," Monica answered.

"Niiice!"

"Come on Monica."

"See you guys later," Monica said as they were walking out the door.

"Good job Rach. I think they really like each other."

"I know. I knew they would."

When the movie was over, Chandler walked Monica back to her apartment.

"Thanks for movie and for walking me back here."

"My pleasure. I'll call you," he said walking off.

Monica walked into her apartment and sat at the kitchen table after closing the door behind herself. She was hoping that Chandler would kiss her, but no such luck. She liked that he was a gentlemen, but she wanted to kiss him so badly. For a second while they were standing outside the door, she thought of making the first move, but decided against it. She got up from the table and went into her room.

Hours later, when she had gotten into bed, the phone rang.

"Hello."

"Miss me?"

"I'm thinking about it," Monica teased.

"So, were you thinking about me?"

"Why?"

"I asked you first."

"Yes, I was thinking about you."

"What about?"

"You ask a lot of questions."

"Not really. So what were you thinking about."

"I'm not telling. What were you thinking about?"

"Honestly?"

"Yeah, honestly."

"I was thinking about kissing you."

Monica took a deep breath. The sound of his voice saying that he was thinking about kissing her suddenly made her dizzy.

"Really? Why didn't you?"

"I guess I was feeling a little insecure about making the first move."

Monica smiled.

"So was I."

"No kidding!"

"I thought that maybe you didn't want kiss me just yet."

"Are you kidding me?"

"Well, I guess the next time we'll see each other will be on New Year's Eve," Monica said.

"Can't wait."

"Me either."

Chandler had some business to take care of out of town. He was just getting in town an hour before the New Year's Eve party. Everyone was already dressed except for Chandler. He hurried home to shower and change. Monica promised to wait for him even if the rest of the gang decided to leave.

To Chandler's surprise, he was dressed on time. He was looking forward to the New Year's Eve party, and looking forward to kissing Monica at the stroke of midnight. He hadn't known Monica for that long a time, but he really liked her. He found himself liking her more and more each day, and he wanted to get to her better. Rachel was really excited that the two of them hit it off, and so were Chandler and Monica.

A few hours into the party, Joey had to pry Chandler away from Monica. He wanted to talk to Chandler alone. They put on the coats and went outside.

"Can you please tell me why you dragged me out here?"

"Did you see that hot girl with the short skirt on?" Joey asked.

"What?"

"Y'know, the hot girl with the red top and short skirt. She's a red head with curly hair."

"Yeah, I know who you're talking about."

"What should I do about Jenny?"

"Joey!"

"Come on. I need help!"

"What are you talking about? Jenny is your date and now you want advice on how to dump her?"

"Yeah!"

"Unbelievable."

"I'm no good at dumping people, but you are."

"Why don't you just wait until after the party to dump her?"

"And to think I came to you for advice."

Chandler looked at Joey and shook his head. Sometimes he wondered how the two of them remained so close. They were total opposites. Sure neither one of them kept a girlfriend around for a long period of time, but other than that, they viewed things differently.

"Look Joey, it's freezing out here. I'm going back inside."

"I guess I could dump Jenny after the party."

"There ya go."

Monica was standing in the corner trying desperately to be nice a guy who obviously had too much to drink. He was standing two inches in front of her trying to get her to leave the party with him.

"Look, I've already told you that I'm here with somebody."

"Well...I don't see him around."

"There he is," Monica said looking in Chandler's direction as he was approaching them.

The guy turned around and saw Chandler walking in their direction. He stepped to the side when Chandler stood in front of Monica.

"Come on Monica," he said, taking her by the hand.

As they walked away, the guy stood in the corner looking angry.

"Thanks for rescuing me."

"My pleasure," he said grinning.

"Y'know, you have the cutest smile."

"I do?"

"Yeah."

"Are you flirting with Monica Geller?"

"Maybe."

Chandler looked into her eyes and wanted to kiss her at the very moment, but forced himself to wait.

"You're smile is sexier than mine though," he said lightly touching her face.

Rachel noticed them from across the room. She smiled. She knew they were flirting with each other. They had only gone out a few times, but it seemed as though they were a couple. They noticed her looking over at them, so they walked over to her.

"You two look like you're having a good time," Rachel said.

"We are," Monica said.

"I'm glad to hear that."

"We know you are," Chandler said.

He had his arm around Monica the entire time they were talking to Rachel. Rachel marveled at her perfect match making skills. Putting Chandler and Monica together was genius and she was really proud of herself. Monica was in a better mood these days, and so was Chandler. The two of them finally had something to smile about.

At 11:59 the music ceased, and everyone began counting down to the New Year. Chandler and Monica looked into each other eyes. They were silent during the count down. Both had it set in their minds to kiss at midnight. As the counting reached five, Chandler and Monica inched closer together and kissed when everyone shouted Happy New Year. He held Monica tightly in his arms. He stroked the back of her head as they kissed. The gang noticed Chandler and Monica kissing. They were all smiles. The hugging, kissing, and cheers ceased, but Chandler and Monica were still lip locked.

"Okay, get a room," Phoebe said.

"All right Chandler. Looks like he's gonna some action tonight."

"Joey, could you be any more of a pig?" Rachel asked.

"I could try."

When the kiss ended, they looked at each other and smiled.

"Helluva kiss Geller."

"It sure was Bing."

Chandler looked across the room and noticed the gang looking at the two of them.

"Don't look now, but there are four pair of eyes staring at us."

Monica laughed, knowing that those four pairs of eyes belonged to Joey, Ross, Phoebe, and Rachel.

Hours later, Chandler was standing at Monica's door.

"Did you have fun tonight?" Chandler asked.

"Not really," she teased.

"Yeah me neither."

"So, are we getting together next weekend?"

"We can get together before that."

"Okay."

"I'll call you," he said inching toward her.

"Will do."

He put his hands to her face, and leaned in to kiss her. This time the kiss lasted longer. Neither one of them wanted to pull away. Chandler reluctantly broke the kiss and touched her face.

"Well, goodnight," he said softly.

"Good morning you mean."

"Whatever."

She watched him walk away with a smile on her face. The New Year was definitely looking up!
 
 

MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN.........NEXT!