SBEING THERES

              BY CREASSYA
 
 

This takes place afterFiercly Protective. Monica and John have been dating for a month now. No one has mentioned to Monica that John only wants to sleep with her. Ross has been trying to tell her, but he keeps getting interrupted. Chandler doesn't know how to tell her and neither does Phoebe and Rachel.
 

Chandler is sitting in front of Monica in her living room. She's talking, but he doesn't hear anything she's saying. His eyes are focused on her face, and her eyes. He could get lost in those beautiful eyes of hers. Her lips looked incredibly soft, and so did her skin. She had the most incredible smile he's ever seen. He felt a little guilty for not listening to her, but he couldn't help himself. He was amazed at how gorgeous she was. How could anybody intentionally hurt you? He thought to himself.

"Chandler? Chandler?"

"Huh?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Because you weren't here just now."

"I'm sorry Mon."

"Something on your mind?"

"Yeah, it is."

"Okay, I'm listening, more than you were." Monica teased.

"I'm sorry....I just don't wanna see you hurt."

"Hurt? what are you talking about?"

"John...John...only wants to sleep with you. He told me. I've been trying to find a way to tell you.

"I see." Monica said looking down at the floor.

"I'm sorry Mon."

"It's okay. I'll be all right."

"Are you sure?" He asked softly.

"Yeah. Thank you for telling me."

"I should have told you sooner."

"You told me, that's all that matters."

"I'm sorry about this Mon."

"You don't have to apologize."

"I could beat him up for you if you want." Chandler said.

"It's okay." She said smiling.

"Are you sure?"

"Chandler, I'm fine. It's not like I'm in love with him or anything. I just thought he was cute, that's all. I thought he was nice, but I was wrong. I mean, whenever he complimented me or said things, he sounded so rehearsed."

"You mean fake?"

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry Mon."

"Chandler, you don't have to keep apologizing. You didn't put him up to it did you?"

"Of course not."

"Well okay then. Don't worry about it. I'll be fine. I won't break." She said smiling.

"I know, I just hate to see you hurt." He said looking into her eyes.

"I know, and I appreciate it. You're a good friend."

"So are you."

"And don't worry so much. I didn't expect it last."

"Okay. I'll try not to worry about it for you."

"Thank you."

"So, are you coming to the game next Saturday?"

"Yeah, I guess I can go this time. I'm not really a fan of football."

"I can tell."

Seconds later, Ross came downstairs.

"Monica, Mom wants you."

"I'll be right back." She said to Chandler.

As soon as she disappeared upstairs, Ross sat on the couch next to Chandler.

"I just wanted to thank you for looking out for Mon. I know that he was just using her. I tried talking to her about, but she's been so busy. I haven't been able to tell her. She's never by herself anymore."

"It wasn't a problem."

"Thanks anyway for looking out for her." Ross said getting up.

Monica came back downstairs as Ross went into the kitchen.

"What were you two talking about?"

"He was just thanking me for looking out for his little sis." Chandler said smiling.

"Have I even thanked you yet?"

"No." He joked.

"Okay."

"What? You're not gonna thank me now?"

"No."

"I forgive you."

"Thanks."

"Now she thanks me." Chandler said shaking his head.

The next day, Monica sat on the couch, waiting for Chandler to come downstairs. The butler had let her in. She heard laughing coming from the kitchen. When Chandler came downstairs, his face instantly turned red. He went into the kitchen to see what was going on. He was so angry with his mother, that he didn't say anything to Monica. She felt a little uncomfortable, so she stood up to leave. Chandler came back into the living room where Monica was, looking very upset.

"Chandler, I can leave if you want me to."

"Yeah, it's really not a good time."

"Okay." She said heading for the door.

"Wait." He said.

Monica turned to look at him. He was angry, but his eyes were full of pain.

"Yeah."

"Can you stay?" He asked.

"Are you sure you don't wanna be alone?"

"I want you to stay. Come on." He said, motioning for her to come upstairs with him.

They sat in Chandler's room for two minutes without saying anything. His face was buried in his hands. Monica sat there watching him, not knowing what to say or do. Suddenly she rose from his desk and went over to him. He was sitting on his bed. She slowly knelt down beside him and attempted to remove his hands from his face.

"Chandler? What's wrong?"

He then allowed her to move his hands. He looked at her with tears in his eyes.

"She just makes me so mad." He said softly.

"Your Mom?"

"I'm so embarrassed."

"Don't be. It's just me here."

"She's in there with her boyfriend, practically naked, rolling around on the kitchen floor. She's only been seeing him for two weeks. She knows that I'm home, but she shows me no respect, but she expects it in return. I would trade this big house, my car, all the money and popularity, for a least one good parent." He said as the tears fell from his face.

Monica felt like crying also. She felt so bad for him. She had never seen a guy cry before. They always tried to be so tough. She was surprised that Chandler let her see this side of him. She sat on the bed with him and took his hand in hers. She didn't have any comforting words to say to him, so she held his hand tightly to assure him that she was there for him.

"I'm sorry Mon."

"For what?"

"This. I didn't mean to fall apart."

"You don't need to apologize Chandler. I'm here. That's what friends are for right?" She said offering a smile.

"I guess so. I don't usually do this around any of my friends."

"Well, we can keep this just between the two of us."

"Thanks." He said smiling through tears.

"It's the least I can do."

"What are you talking about?"

"I heard about the conversation you had with John. Ross told me. He heard the whole conversation."

"Oh."

"I don't mind being here."

"I appreciate it."

"No problem."

"You don't think I'm a girl for crying do you?"

"No, of course not."

"Good." He said smiling.

"Besides, it takes guts to cry in front of a girl."

"I'll say."

"Any time you need a shoulder, or an ear, I'm right here."

"I'm just so tired of this. She's never there for me. I just feel like such a nobody when I'm here."

Monica's heart when out to him. Her parents often made her feel like a nobody. They were too busy putting Ross on a petal stool, to notice how bad they made her feel. For years, she used food as a way of making her feel better. Food was her comforter. She understood how he felt.

"I know the feeling." She said looking into his eyes.

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"Am I bringing you down?"

"No. No more than my parents do." She said smiling.

"Good, I wouldn't wanna do that."

"Don't worry."

Monica spent hours with him. She wanted to make sure that he was feeling a little better by the time she was ready to leave. After talking about their parents, they laughed and talked the rest of the time she was there. She had so much fun with Chandler. He was so funny. She saw the funny side of him all the time, but never saw the really serious intense side him until today.

She spent the remainder of the day with Phoebe and Rachel. Even thought she wanted to, she didn't mention how Chandler opened up to her. She usually tells them everything, but she felt like she would be betraying Chandler, so she kept it to herself. She told him that she would keep it between the two of them, and that's what she intended to do. She went shopping with Rachel and Phoebe, even though she didn't buy anything. They went over to Rachel's when they came back from the mall. She thought about Chandler the whole time she was with them. She played it off pretty good, because they didn't seem to notice.

Later that night, she got a call from John.

"Hello."

"Hey gorgeous."

"Can I help you?"

"You sound a little mad. Are you okay?"

"I've been better."

"What's wrong?"

"Us."

"Us?"

"Yeah, us. It's not working out."

"What?"

"Come on, don't act like your devastated."

"Where is this coming from?"

"I just think you're cute. There's nothing else going on."

"Excuse me?"

"There's nothing else going on. I don't have feelings for you."

"Well then why are you with me?" He asked angrily.

"I'm not." She said hanging up the phone.

She sat there with a smile on her face.

A week later, Monica, Chandler, and Phoebe were sitting on the bleachers, watching Joey and the Bobcats defeat the Tigers. They were up 28 to 14 with a minute left in the game. Rachel and her teammates were on the sidelines cheering. Ross was sitting at the top of the bleachers with a few of his classmates. Monica wasn't a sports fan and had never attended a sporting event, but she really enjoyed herself. The game was interesting. Chandler explained what was going on in the game and she managed to follow. She was laughing at him when he stood up and started yelling at the other team for being a little too rough on Joey. They were bestfriends and Monica though that they had a cute relationship. He was the only one that Monica felt was a true friend to him. When the game ended, Monica went to the top of the bleachers to speak to Ross, who was drooling over Rachel.

Chandler watched her as she talked with Ross. Sometimes it was difficult for him to take his eyes off her. Phoebe looked at Chandler as he stared at Monica. She smiled to herself. She was thinking about going back over to him to tease him, but decided not to just yet.

Two weeks later, The gang was over at Chandler's except for Ross. They were all in Chandler's room. He didn't want to sit downstairs and take the chance to be embarrassed by his mother. Monica was the only one besides Joey who knew how Chandler felt about his Mom. He still couldn't believe that he allowed himself to cry in front of someone. She wasn't just anyone to him, she was a friend. She understood him like no one else, which made it so much easier for him to let his guard down. He watched her as she laughed and talked, unaware that Phoebe and Rachel were looking at him, staring at Monica. Phoebe had mentioned to Rachel that she thought Chandler liked Monica, now she saw what she was talking about, and smiled at Phoebe.

"Told you." Phoebe whispered.

"Should we tell Mon?" Rachel whispered back.

"I think we should look into this more, just in case we're wrong."

"Good idea."

"I know. I'm so smart." Phoebe said.

"What are you too whispering about over there?" Monica asked.

"Oh, we....were...just talking about the crush Rachel has on Joey."

"What!" Rachel shouted.

Phoebe winked at Rachel to go along with her.

"Really?" Joey asked raising an eyebrow.

"Oh get over yourself." Rachel said.

"Come on Rach, the secret's out. You don' t have to be embarrassed." Joey said with smirk.

"Oh my God." Rachel said rolling her eyes.

"You know you want me."

"Get a life Joey."

A week later, while Chandler and Monica were studying, Nora walked in.

"Hi honey, you didn't tell me you had your girlfriend over."

"Mom, she's a friend."

"Oh, I'm sorry. How are you?" She asked Monica.

"Hi, I'm fine."

"Have you been over here before?"

"Yeah, but you were too busy doing other things to notice."

Nora looked at him in surprise. He usually didn't say things like that to her. Monica felt extremely uncomfortable. She was sure that an argument was about to start.

"It was nice meeting you Monica. We'll talk later Chandler.

When she left the room, he stood up and went over to the window.

"Chandler, what's wrong?"

"She just gets to me."

Monica got up off his bed and went over to the window and stood in back of him. She gently touched his arm and he turned around. When he looked into her eyes, she wanted to kiss him so bad, but instead, she came closer to him and they embraced. It was the first time she had been in his arms. She closed her eyes as he held her tightly. She wished that she could stay in his arms as long as possible, and so did he.

"Thank you Monica." He softly whispered.

"No problem." She said hugging him tighter.
 
 

THE NEW GIRL IN HIS LIFE......IS NEXT