FIERCELY PROTECTIVE

BY CREASSYA
 
 

This takes place after The New Monica. Monica has lost weight and everyone has taken notice. She's now getting asked out by guys, which is okay for her, but doesn't sit too well with Chandler. There's one guy in particular that he doesn't want around her who admitted that he only wanted one thing from her. He doesn't know what to do about the situation, or how to tell Monica about it.
 

Monica sat in the lunch room with Phoebe and Rachel. She was looking across the room at Chandler, who was talking to his friends, minus Jeff. She loved to see him smile, which he did a lot of. With her eyes locked on him, he looked up and noticed her looking at him. He smiled at her and she waved. Every time he smiled at her, she melted and wanted to kiss him. It felt good to finally be noticed by Chandler. She finally turned her gazed away from him when John Sanders approached her. He sat down and put his arm around her. She liked John and thought that he was cute, but he wasn't Chandler. He had something about him, that no other guy had. He was special.

Chandler watched as John sat next to Monica, with his arm around her and bawled up his fist. He couldn't stand John being so close to her. He didn't want Monica to get hurt. He stood up, feeling like he should do something. He needed an excuse to go over there. He tugged on Joey's shirt and asked him to go over to Monica, Phoebe, and Rachel with him. He got up with Chandler, and they walked over to their table.

"Hey ladies." Joey said flirtatiously.

"Don't mind him." Chandler said, taking a seat across from Monica and John.

Joey sat next to Rachel and smiled at her.

"Oh stop it Joey." She said hitting him on his arm.

"So, how's it going over here?" Chandler asked looking at Monica.

"Everything's fine. Why?" Monica said.

"What are you guys doing tonight?" Joey asked.

"Nothing, why?" Phoebe asked.

"We can come get you guys to go skating." Chandler said.

"Oh, that sounds like fun, but I don't know how to skate." Monica said.

"Don't worry, I'll catch you if you fall." John said softly.

Phoebe and Rachel looked at each other and rolled their eyes. Neither of them liked John. They didn't trust him. Rachel was on the verge of saying something smart to him but decided against it. Chandler felt like kicking him from underneath the table. He sounded so fake. John noticed Chandler glaring at him, but didn't say anything. He wondered what his problem was.

"So, what time should we be ready?" Phoebe asked.

"Let's make it for seven." Chandler said.

"Cool. We can meet at Mon's." Rachel said.

"Sounds like a plan." Monica said.

"Good."

During fifth period Science, Chandler sat there with his work all finished, thinking about how he should tell Monica about John. He was so deep in thought, that he didn't hear when the bell rang for class to end.

"Chandler? Did you want to stay here?" The teacher asked.

"Oh." He said getting up.

He felt embarrassed as he left the classroom. While walking down the hall, he noticed John standing near Monica's locker waiting for her. He went over to have a few words with him.

"Hey Chandler."

"So, you waiting for Monica?"

"Yeah."

"So, are you and Monica...

"Is she my girlfriend?" John said.

"Yeah."

"She is." He said with smirk.

"Look, Monica's a very sweet person. Don't hurt her."

"What?"

"Don't pretend to care about her when you don't. We both know that you're only after one thing."

"That's none of your business."

"Well, I think it is. You made it my business when you told me what your intentions were." Chandler said inching towards him.

"Look Chandler, this has nothing to do with you."

"See that's where you're wrong. It has everything to do with me. She's my friend, and I'm looking out for her."

"Whatever Chandler."

"If you hurt her, you'll have to deal with me. So if you don't wanna have to deal with me, just walk away from her now."

"You think I'm worried about you?"

"You should be." Chandler said walking away.

Ross was standing five lockers away and herd the entire conversation. It surprised him that Chandler was defending Monica like he would, or like a boyfriend would. He barely knew Chandler, but he liked him already.

Later that night Monica was in her room waiting for Phoebe and Rachel, so that Chandler and Joey could pick them up to go skating.

"Hey Mon, can I talk to you for a minute?" Ross asked peaking his head in the door.

"Yeah."

"Well.....

"Hey Mon." Rachel said coming in with Phoebe.

"Hey guys."

When Phoebe and Rachel came in and sat down, Ross looked at Rachel and smiled. He didn't want to tell Monica about the conversation Chandler had with John in front of them.

"I'll talk to you later Mon." Ross said.

"Okay."

"Mon, I wanted to ask you a question." Phoebe said looking from Monica to Rachel.

"Okay."

"Why are you dating John?"

"What?"

"Yeah, I mean, you like Chandler." Rachel said.

"C'mon guys. I don't have a chance in hell with Chandler. Besides, John's cute, and he's nice."

"Why would you still think that you don't have a chance with Chandler?" Rachel asked.

"I don't know. I mean, I've lost weight and everything, but he's popular, and....I don't know, I can't explain it."

"So, do you like John more than you like Chandler?" Phoebe asked.

"No."

"Well, there you have it." Phoebe said.

"Guys, forget about it. It's just a crush. People grow out of crushes."

"So, you think you'll get over him?" Rachel asked.

"Yeah."

"What makes you so sure?" Phoebe asked.

"I'm not sure, and anyway, it's time to go downstairs to wait for them." She said getting up and heading for her door.

"Okay, we'll let you off the hook this time." Phoebe said smiling.

Phoebe and Rachel liked Chandler and wanted to see them together instead of her being with John. They felt that John was phony and didn't really care about her, but they didn't know how to tell her how they felt about him. Phoebe felt that it was best for them not to mention their feelings about Monica's boyfriend so that they wouldn't offend her or make her think that they weren't being supportive of her.

As soon as they arrived downstairs, Judy let Chandler in. He spoke to everyone and they soon left.

Monica was putting on her rented skates, when Chandler went over to the counter to get his. When he got them, he looked over at her. She was beautiful. He thought about the dream he had about her a few night ago. He dreamt that they were walking along the beach holding hands and talking. Soon after, they were sitting in the sand and he gazed into her eyes and touched her face gently. As soon as he leaned in to kiss her, his alarm woke him up.

He walked over and sat next to her.

"Need help?"

"Out here, no. In there, yeah." She said.

"Just hold on to me, I'll go slow."

Monica blushed when he said that, and so did he.

"You won't let go?" She asked.

"Nope."

Phoebe, Rachel, and Joey were already skating when Chandler and Monica made their way on to the floor. He held her hand tightly making sure that she was able to steady herself. He began skating with her slowly as the other skaters on the floor passed them by. It felt good holding her hand and being close to her. She was good company. For an hour and a half, he skated with her until they decided to take a break and sit down. While she sat down, he went to get them a soda. He was having a really good time with Monica and couldn't wait to get back over to her. When he turned around with the sodas in his hand, he saw John sitting next to Monica and instantly became angry. He wished that he and Joey hadn't mentioned going skating in front of him. He gritted his teeth and went back over to Monica. As he approached them, John looked up at Chandler and glared at him. Chandler glared back and handed Monica her soda.

When Monica was finished with her soda, she and John got up to skate, leaving Chandler sitting there glaring at John. As soon as they made their way on to the floor, Phoebe and Rachel came and sat by Chandler. They all looked at Monica skating with John.

"I don't like him." Rachel said.

"Me either. I don't know why. It's just something about him." Phoebe said.

Chandler looked at the two of them, kinda surprised.

"I thought I was the only one who felt like that."

"Nope." Rachel said.

"Why don't you like him?" Phoebe asked.

"He's only after one thing."

"How do you know? Did he tell you that?" Phoebe asked.

"Yeah."

"Snake." Rachel said.

"I don't know how to tell her." Chandler said.

"Someone should go over there and push him." Phoebe said.

"I would do it, but he's skating with Mon."

"She should know how to skate." Phoebe said.

Chandler and Rachel looked at her and laughed. Twenty minutes later, Monica and John made their way back over to the bench where Chandler was sitting with Phoebe and Rachel. They got up to skate as soon as they noticed them heading in their direction. After five minutes of sitting next to them, Chandler got up to go talk to Joey, who was eating as usual. He noticed the expression on Chandler's face as he approached him.

"What's with the face?" Joey asked.

"Nothing." Chandler said angrily.

"Oh, John's here."

"I hate him." Chandler said.

"You got it bad." Joey said smiling.

"I know, I can't stand him."

"I'm talking about Monica."

"What?"

"Chandler, we had this conversation before. I know you like her."

"Yeah, as a friend, like I told you before."

"I don't believe you Chandler."

"Fine, okay. I like her."

"Well, make a move on her."

"I'm not gonna just make a move on her."

"Why not?"

"She has a boyfriend, and.....

"And what?"

"I don't know."

"I'll make a move on her, and tell her it's from you."

"Joey!"

"What, I'm just trying to help out."

"That's okay. I don't need any help."

"Sounds to me like you do."

When they were ready to leave, they turned in their skates. Chandler and John were the last to turn in their skates. Chandler didn't say anything to him until he was about to leave.

"Remember what I said about Mon." Chandler said.

"Chandler, go to hell."

Chandler pushed him hard and he fell. When John got up off the floor, Joey ran over and stood in between them.

"Come on Chandler." Joey said.

John glared at Chandler and walked away.

"Chandler, you have to keep it together man."

"I know. Where's Monica?"

"She's in the car with Phoebe and Rachel."

"Good."

Later that night, once Chandler was home, he sat at his desk thinking about Monica. He was glad that Monica was in the car when Chandler pushed her boyfriend. He would have had to explain why he lost his temper. He was having a great time until John showed up. He didn't know how much longer he could take seeing them together, knowing that John wasn't interested in her, but what he could get from her. He knew that he had to tell Monica what her boyfriend's real intentions were, but didn't know how to bring it up.

Monica was sitting on her bed about to write in her diary until the phone rang. At first she wasn't going to answer it, but something told her to pick up the phone.

"Hello."

"Hi, can I speak to Monica?"

"This is Monica."

"And this is Chandler."

"Hey Chandler. How'd you get my number?"

"Rachel gave it to me."

"Oh." Monica said smiling.

"So, what were you doing?" Chandler asked.

"Nothing, you?"

"Nothing."

"Okay."

"Boy, I talk too much don't I?" Chandler asked.

"Yeah, I was just about to tell you that." Monica teased.

"So, did you have fun tonight?"

"Yeah, I really did. Thanks for skating with me."

"I didn't mind."

"But you barely got to skate like you wanted to."

"That's not true." He said softly.

Monica covered her face with her hand. She couldn't believe she was actually talking to Chandler Bing on the phone. He sounded so cute.

"Thanks again."

"No problem."

"So, what are you and Joey doing for the rest of the weekend?"

"Why? Are you and Rachel coming to get us?"

"Very funny."

"I know, that's why I said it."

"You are too much." Monica said laughing.

"Why thank you." Chandler said in a deep weird voice.

"Are you always this much fun?" Monica asked.

"Not really. I'm usually pretty dull."

"Yeah right. That's why you're one of the most popular guys in school?"

"Yeah."

"Okay." Monica said laughing.

Monica stayed on the phone with Chandler for over two hours. She couldn't remember a time where she laughed so hard or so much. She really liked being his friend. She couldn't believe that she was actually hanging out with two of the cutest and most popular guys in school. It felt great. They weren't superficial like many people perceived them to be. When she got off the phone with Chandler, she went back over to her bed and began writing in her diary. She had a lot more to write about this time.

I'm sitting here, feeling better than I have in years. I finally feel like somebody. Of course I still have some insecurities. I think everybody does. It's not just the losing weight, but its the qualities within me that I'm starting to appreciate. I'm beginning to take a good hard look at myself, and I like what I see. I see a lot of good things about myself that I've never realized before, because I had such a low opinion of myself. I like having other friends. Even though I have a major crush on Chandler, I can deal with just being his friend. It's not like a have much of a choice in the matter. I wanted him to notice me, and now he does. Tonight, when he took my hand, my heart starting racing, and it felt as if I would faint. I melt when I look into his gorgeous blue eyes, and cute smile, and being near him.  I know that I have a boyfriend and everything, but he has nothing on Chandler. He would never be the kind of person he is. Sure John is cute, but that's all I see in him. He's nice too, but some of the things that he says to me, sounds a little rehearsed. When Chandler compliments me, it seems as though his words are coming from the heart. I told Phoebe and Rachel that I'll probably get over Chandler one day, but I'm not sure if I ever believe that myself. His charm and sense of humor are such a turn on.

Now that I know him on a more personal level, I see how great he is. I liked him from a far, but now I like him even better up close. He's a good friend and I like having him around. On the way back home from the skating ring, I noticed how quiet he was. I meant to ask him about that. He seemed a little mad about something. I've never seen him like that before. I don't know, maybe I'm making too much out of it. Look at me, I talk about Chandler in here more than I talk about my boyfriend. I can't help it. Chandler has so many more appealing qualities than any guy I know. He's funny, smart, kind, gorgeous, sweet, charming, caring, honest. I can go on and on. I often daydream about kissing him and being in his arms. I know it'll probably never happen, but I like thinking about it. I was surprised that he called me tonight. Sometimes I wonder what made him notice me. Other guys have taken notice only because I lost weight, but not him. He noticed me before I lost weight.

Sometimes when he's joking around, I can hear the pain in his voice, which I think he uses to hide how miserable he is. When we talk, it's like I can easily see into his soul and he allows me to. I think he appreciates that I listen. It's the least I can do for him taking up for me. I still feel bad that he and Jeff aren't friends anymore. He told me that them not being friends anymore isn't my fault, but I feel like it is. He didn't tell me, but that night at the party, Jeff was saying some negative things about me, and Chandler came to my defense. I still wonder what made him stick up for me. It's one of the many question I have to ask him. One thing's for sure, Chandler's everything I want in guy, but can't have.

I had a dream about him the other night. I don't remember much about the dream, except for me being in his arms. We were at his house sitting on his bed watching something on tv. I was sitting in between his legs and he had his arms wrapped around me. I had my head leaned back against his shoulder and he lightly kissed my neck. It's amazing, because I don't remember how the dream began or ended. Then again, my dreams are always like that. I know I said that I can deal with being just his friend, but I still wish that I was his girlfriend. Feeling like this about him, I shouldn't be with John. It's not fair to him. I thought by going out with him, it would make me less interested in Chandler, but I was wrong. I should have know better.

I've had crushes on guys before, but not like this. Makes me wonder if this crush will turn into more than a crush. Or maybe I'm just worrying too much. I think I should just accept the fact that Chandler is just my friend and will be nothing more than that. I should just concentrate on being his friend. It'll be hard, but I think I can manage it. I have so far. We didn't even talk last year around this time. I remember sitting at my desk wishing that he'd come over to my desk and borrow a pen or some paper. Now we're getting close so I shouldn't complain, and try my best not to think about him so much.

Monica put her diary away and put her pen back in the desk drawer. She changed into her pajamas and got into bed. When she closed her eyes, she saw Chandler reaching for her hand when they stepped into the skating ring. She turned on her left side and closed her eyes again, but this time, she saw Chandler smiling at her from across the lunch room. She wondered if she'd be able to sleep tonight with Chandler so heavy on her mind. She was beginning to think about him more and more, ever since they became friends. He was on her mind constantly now. She sat up in bed, frustrated because she couldn't sleep, or get Chandler off her mind. After sitting up in the dark for ten minutes, she laid back down, and finally drifted off to sleep.
 

NEXT UP.......BEING THERE