THE TRUTH HURTS
BY CREASSYA
 

This takes place after All Is Forgiven. Monica and Rachel have decided to become Friends. They all went out to dinner one night, and Phoebe noticed that Rachel's boyfriend was staring at Monica. When Phoebe brought that to Monica's attention, she didn't believe that Rick had a crush on her, until he made a pass at her at the coffeehouse.
 

"Yeah, I'm all right. I have to go." Monica said getting up.

"Are you sure everything is okay?"

"Yeah, I'll see you later."

Monica fought the urge to run out of the coffeehouse. Instead, she casually walked out, trying to act as if nothing happened. She walked into her apartment and went straight to her room. She felt disgusted. She didn't know what to do. She knew that she had to tell Rachel what happened. She wouldn't be able to be around her and Rick. She wished that Phoebe hadn't been right. She and Rachel had just became friends, and now she had to break the news that her boyfriend came on to her. She was worried that Rachel wouldn't believe her, being that they didn't know each other that well.

For hours, Monica stayed in her room trying to decide what to do about Rick. She didn't answer the phone or the door. She didn't feel like being bothered. As soon as she woke up the next day, she heard someone on the door. She slowly walked to the door and opened it.

"Where have you been?" Chandler asked walking in.

"Why?"

"I was calling you all day yesterday. When I came over, you weren't home. Where were you yesterday?

"I was here."
 

Well, why didn't you answer the phone?"

"I'm sorry. I just didn't feel like being bothered."

She went over and sat on the couch. Chandler stood behind the couch looking at her with a frown on his face.

"What's wrong?"

"I just needed some time to think."

"What about? Is it about us?"

"No, it's not about us."

"Then what?"

"Rick made a pass at me yesterday."

"What?"

"Phoebe told me that he liked me, but I didn't believe her."

"How did this happen?"

"We were sitting on the couch at the coffeehouse. As soon as Rachel left to go to the bathroom, he started flirting with me. I mean, I didn't realize it at the time, but then he started rubbing my thigh. I was so embarrassed."

"When are they gonna be at the coffeehouse?" He asked angrily.

"Chandler, please don't say anything to him."

"Why not?"

"I don't want you to say anything until I tell Rachel."

"I can't believe this." Chandler said.

"I know. She's gonna hate me for this."

"Why would she hate you?"

"I don't know. It's just a feeling I have. She might think it was me who came on to him."

"Come on Monica...."

"I'm serious. We haven't known each other that long, and we didn't exactly hit it off when we met."

Chandler came around to the front of the couch and sat down beside her. He kissed her softly on the lips and pulled her in his arms.

"Everything will work out."

Later that night, Rachel stood in the bathroom looking at herself in the mirror. She had on a satin bathrobe with only her bra and panties on underneath. She slowly came out of the bathroom and made her way to the bed where Rick was. He was reading a book and didn't notice her. She then stood in front of him and slowly loosened the belt and slid it from around her waist and seductively threw it at him. He looked at her with a smile, then continued to read the book in front of him. She climbed on the bed and made her way over to him. She took the book out of his hands and began to kiss him. He kissed her back, but he wasn't responding the way he usually does. She broke the kiss and looked at him.

"Rick, what's going on? You haven't been yourself lately."

"I just have some things on my mind, that's all."

"Well, why can't you talk to me about what's bothering you?"

"I can handle it."

"Rick please."

"Okay, but what I'm about to tell you, you won't like."

"Just tell me."

The next day, Monica came home from work and got a message on her answering machine from Rachel saying that she needed to talk to her. Two hours later, Rachel showed up at her apartment upset.

"Rachel, what's wrong?"

"How could you?"

"How could I what?"

"I trusted you. I confided in you!" She said shouting.

"Rachel, can you please tell me what's going on." Monica pleaded.

"You have Chandler. Why would you go and make a pass at my boyfriend?"

"What!"

"I feel sorry for him. He should know what kind of girlfriend he has."

"I didn't come on to Rick. He came on to me!"

"Yeah right Monica."

"I knew you wouldn't believe me." Monica said shaking her head.

"Why should I? I can't believe you would do this to get back at me."

"To get back at you?"

"Yeah, for those things I said about Chandler."

"Oh My God!" You really think that I'm that petty?"

"I thought we put all this behind us. I thought you were my friend." Rachel said with tears in her eyes.

"Rachel, I am your friend. I wouldn't do that to you."

"Save it Monica. I don't want to have anything else to do with you."

Rachel stormed pass Monica and left. To Monica's surprise, she wasn't upset with Rachel for accusing her of hitting on Rick. She felt really bad for Rachel. She wanted to go after her and convince her that she was telling the truth, but Rachel already had her mind made up.

Shortly after, Chandler walked in and could tell that she was upset. She didn't even turn around to see who was coming in the door. H went over to the couch and sat down. He didn't say anything when she looked at him. He just put his arm around her and stroked her hair. He knew from the look on her face, that things didn't go too well with Rachel.

Phoebe had gone away for the weekend with Jimmy, and when she came back, Chandler informed her about what happened between Monica and Rachel. She went over to Rachel's right after she talked to Chandler. She stood at her apartment door for ten minutes waiting for Rachel to answer the door. She told Phoebe that she didn't want to see her or Monica.

"Rachel, please open the door."

"I said go away!" Rachel shouted from inside.

"Monica's telling the truth. I saw how he looked at her when we all went out or, whenever we were all hanging out at the coffeehouse. Didn't you notice how strange he was acting?"

"Leave me alone." Rachel said in low tone.

"Rachel, I noticed that Rick had a crush on Monica before she did. You have to believe me, it was Rick who made a pass at her. Rachel...Rachel."

Rachel remained silent. She sat on her couch with tears in her eyes. Phoebe stood outside her door for another ten minutes before she gave up and left.

In the weeks that passed, no one had heard anything from Rachel. Chandler was hoping that he would see Rick somewhere, but he didn't. Chandler was sitting on the couch in his apartment waiting for Monica to show up. She arrived an hour later. When he opened the door, she walked in smiling at him. He was dressed in the Versace suit that she bought him.

"Wow, you look gorgeous, as always."

"Thank you. My girlfriend bought it for me."

"She has good taste, especially having you as a boyfriend."

Chandler smiled and leaned in for a kiss. She put her hands to his chest and began taking off his jacket. He pulled away and shook his head.

"We can do that later. We're going out to dinner."

"Oh, so that's why you're all dressed up."

"Yep."

"Chandler I can't go out looking like this."

"I have something for you to wear."

"Like what?"

"It's in my room."

Monica walked into Chandler's bedroom and saw a brand new navy blue dress lying on his bed. She ran back out of the room and hugged him.

"Thank you sweetie."

"You're welcome, now go get dressed."

"Okay, but Chandler....

"I know. I'll get you a towel and a wash cloth."

"Thank you." She said.

"And don't take a long shower, we have reservations."

"Okay." She said going into the bathroom.

A half hour later, Monica was dressed and ready to go. He wanted to do something special for her. She had been feeling bad about how things happened with her and Rachel. She kept calling her and going to her apartment, but she didn't want to see her. Monica didn't want Rachel to think that she was the kind of person would try to take someone's boyfriend. She wanted her to understand the type of person she was. She didn't even want to see Phoebe. She knew that one day Rick would show his true colors and Rachel will realize that she was telling the truth. Chandler wanted her to forget about the argument she had with Rachel for the night, and enjoy herself. He treated her to a nice dinner, bought her a new dress, and to top the night off right, he turned on some romantic music and made love to her all night. That definitely took her mind off things.

The next night, she and Phoebe were having a conversation outside the comedy club while they waiting for Chandler and Jimmy, when the saw Rick from across the street. He had his arm around some woman. Monica and Phoebe looked at each other and then back at Rick. When he and the woman approached the car, he opened the door for her and walked around to the driver side and soon pulled off. He didn't notice that Monica and Phoebe were watching him.

"Can you believe him?" Monica said to Phoebe.

"I don't like him."

"Poor Rachel."

"I know. I can't believe that she still won't talk to me, and I didn't have anything to do with it."

"Well, you did a little bit. You saw how he was looking at me."

"I know, but she didn't know that until I told her. Did you tell her that I knew?"

"No."

"Then why won't she talk to me?" Phoebe asked.

"I don't know."

Ten minutes later, Chandler and Jimmy emerged from the building. Chandler kissed Monica, and Jimmy put his arm around Phoebe. They all got in Jimmy's car and headed for the coffeehouse.

Rachel walked by the coffeehouse and noticed them laughing and talking. She didn't want them to see her so she kept going. She had the urge to go in, but decided against it. She hailed a cab and went home. She sat on the couch with tears streaming down her face. She felt so alone. She wanted someone to talk to, but she didn't have anybody. She laid on the couch wondering if she'd ever have any real friends that she could trust.......
 
 

WE MEET JOEY NEXT IN...........

"FRIENDS"