UNCONSCIOUSLY SPEAKING
 

by Creassya
 
 

This takes place after One Turn Deserves Another. Keith told Monica that he held Chandler in an abandoned warehouse. She was instructed by Keith to come by herself and not mention where she was going. When she got to the warehouse, Keith wouldn't tell her where Chandler was. She didn't find him until after her fight with Keith. When she found him, he was unconscious.
 

The police noticed that Chandler was still breathing, but that he had been struck in the head with something. They immediately called the ambulance. Monica ran over to him and laid her head on his chest. She was happy that he wasn't dead. She felt enormously guilty. If only she hadn't gotten back together with him, he wouldn't be lying on the floor in an abandoned warehouse unconscious.

When she got into the ambulance with Chandler on a stretcher, she thought about calling the gang. She knew they had to be going out of their minds by now. When they arrived at Beth Israel Hospital, she stood outside and called the gang from her cell phone. It was now 2:30am. Rachel answered on the first ring. Monica told them that she  and Chandler were at the hospital, and hung up.

Monica was informed that Keith was dead. She didn't mean to kill him. She just wanted to knock him out. She suddenly felt weak, like she was about to collapse. One of the doctors noticed that she was about to fall and he ran over to her.

"Miss, are you all right?"

"I just felt a little light headed."

"You should probably get checked out. He said noticing the scrap on her on arm where she fell.

"I need to find out if Chandler's okay."

"I would feel so much better if you were checked out." The doctor said.

Minutes later, he had finally persuaded her to get checked out.

When Monica came back into the waiting room the gang was there. They all got up and hugged her.

"Monica, what happened?" Ross asked.

"Well, Keith told me where he had kept Chandler, and he told me that I couldn't tell  anybody where I was going. When I got to this abandoned warehouse, Keith came out and he never told me where Chandler was."

"How'd you find him?" Phoebe asked.

"I found him on my own, after Keith and I fought."

"Did he hurt you? Is the baby okay?" Ross asked.

"Yeah, we're fine." She said sitting down.

"Oh thank God!" Rachel said.

"So, how's Chandler?" Joey asked.

"He's still unconscious. I don't know much else, except that he was hit in the head with something."

"Where's Keith?" Rachel asked.

Monica sat silent for a few seconds.

"Mon?" Ross said.

"He's dead." She said looking at them.

"What happened?" Joey asked.

"I killed him."

"Well, it was self defense right?" Rachel asked.

"Yeah. He just kept coming at me, so I hit him a couple times until he went down. When I was sure he was out cold, I went looking for Chandler."

Thirty minutes later, the doctor came out and informed them that Chandler had been struck in the head with a two-by-four and slipped into a coma. Monica suddenly felt weak again so she sat back down. The rest of the gang wasn't allowed to see him, but Monica was taken to his room. She sat by the bed and held his hand.

"Hi sweetie. I'm sorry this happened to you. It wasn't supposed to be like this. I knew that I should have just stayed away from you until Keith was out of my life. I didn't want you to be hurt for anything in the world. I don't blame you if you hate me. This would have never happened to you if you hadn't gotten involved with me."

She sat there looking at him with tears in her eyes. The next day Monica got in touch with Nora and told her what happened. She was New York for a couple days, but decided to stay longer being that Chandler was in coma. Monica barely left his side. When Nora came to visit Chandler, the doctor forced Monica to go home, eat, and rest. She finally went home, showered, ate a sandwich, and hurried back to the hospital. She wanted to be by his side when he woke up.

A week had past, but there was still no change. The gang had just left. Monica sat in the chair and began talking to Chandler. She was sure that he could here her.

"Chandler sweetie, you have to come back to me. I don't know what I would do without you. I love you." She said squeezing his hand.

I love you too honey. I want to come back to you, I do. I wanna hold you in my arms and stop you from feeling sad and crying. I don't want you blaming yourself Monica. It's not your fault. Keith is the one who's done this to me. Tell me what happened Mon. Tell what he did to you and where he is. You haven't even mentioned the baby yet? I hope she didn't lose the baby.

"I haven't had a decent night's sleep since you've been here. I've gotten so used to your arms around me at night. The doctors keep trying to make me go home to rest, but I can't leave your side. I wanna be here when you wake up. I miss you so much Chandler." She said looking at him.

"I'm miss you too. I want you to stay by my side, but I also want you to take care of yourself. Listen to me. I'm talking to you as if you can hear me. I feel like I'm the one who's talking to someone who's in a coma. Monica, I know you're all right, but is my baby all right? Why won't you mention the baby? Maybe there is no baby. I need to get out of this coma. I have to find out what's going on. No one is saying anything. I guess it's because they feel like I can't hear anything that's going on. I wanna come out of this coma, but I feel so weak. Like by body is paralyzed or something.

"Every one is worried about you Chandler. They want you to pull through, and so do I. I know you can't hear me, but I just need to get this stuff out. It's weird, but I feel like you can hear everything I'm saying. Please sweetie, wake up. I need you. I really need you sweetie. I never wanted this to happen. I hate Keith for doing this to us, to you. But don't worry, he can't hurt us anymore. I'm not proud of it, but...I killed him Chandler. I know that will probably make you happy, but it's kinda hard for me. I've never killed anybody before. The police questioned me and everything, but there's no charges against me being that I killed him in self defense. Part of me is glad that he's gone and can't bother us anymore, but the other part of me, wishes that somebody else could have killed him instead on me."

And I wish it could have been me. Don't beat yourself up over someone like him Mon. I know that's easy for me to say, but I hated him, and so did everybody else. I know you hated him too, especially for what he did to me.

Two days later, while Monica waited outside Chandler's hospital room, while Nora was at his bedside.

"Chandler sweetheart, you're scaring me. I need you to wake up. Well, we all want you to wake up. You know, Monica is really good for you. The doctors said that she won't leave your side. I know it's killing her to be just outside your room. I really hope that the two of you can make it last. I like Monica, a lot better than your other girlfriends. She makes you happy doesn't she? Like you can really answer me." She said holding his hand.

I can hear you Mom, but the problem is, you can't hear me. Nobody can hear me. So, this is what it takes to get you to show me some respect huh? Maybe I should have tried this as a kid.

When Nora left the room, Monica came back in. She stood by his bed for a couple seconds and looked at him before she sat down. Minutes later she ran to the bathroom and threw up. She hated morning sickness. Everyone kept telling her to eat, but she couldn't keep any food down. Ross told her to tell their parents that she was pregnant, but she didn't want to tell them yet. She wanted to at least tell them when she was in her third month. She didn't want to have to deal with her mother just yet. She wanted to focus on Chandler coming out of his coma and recovering. She didn't need additional stress at the present time.

A week later, she laid her head on the kitchen table feeling nauseated. Nora and Rachel walked in and went over to her.

"Monica, are you all right?" Nora asked.

"Yeah, just morning sickness." Monica said lifting her head up.

"Honey, I brought you some saltine crackers. I ate these when I was pregnant with Chandler. It'll stop the nausea."

"Thanks." She said weakly.

"Are you ready to go the hospital?" Nora asked.

"Yeah."

"Monica, I know that you want to be by Chandler's side, but you haven't been sleeping. You need your rest." Rachel said putting her hand on Monica's stomach.

"I'll be fine."

"Monica, she's right." Nora reminded her.

"I'm going to see Chandler." She said heading for the door.

They knew that it was hopeless trying to talk some sense into her, but they felt that they had to try. Rachel knew how excited Chandler was to become a father, and she didn't want Monica stressing too much and lose the baby.

When Monica and Nora arrived at the hospital a nurse was in his room lifting and bending his legs.

"Hi." Monica said to the nurse.

"Hi. He needs his exercise." The nurse said.

"Of course. Nurse, can you show me where to get some coffee?" Nora said.

"Yeah sure." She said laying Chandler's legs gently on the bed. "If you want to, you can do this."

"Okay." She said going over to his bed.

When Nora and the nurse left the room, Monica began to message his legs and bending them just as the nurse had been doing. She didn't talk to him. She just exercised his legs and sat and watched him until Nora came back.

"I wish he would wake up." Monica said.

"So do I."

"I'm sorry this happened to him. It's all my fault."

"How is it your fault?"

"Keith told me that he would harm Chandler if I didn't stay away from him. I broke up with Chandler, but he didn't want us to be apart, and neither did I. We tried keeping our relationship a secret figuring Keith wouldn't find out, but he did. I should have known better."

"Monica, the only person to blame for all of this is that bastard Keith. And I'm really glad that you killed him."

"I wish I hadn't."

"What?"

"I wish somebody else would have. I took someone's life."

"Monica, he was pure evil. He was a monster. The police said that he beat up on most of his girlfriends and two of his ex-girlfriends had restraining orders on him."

"I know."

"Just keep telling yourself that. Plus you had no choice. He was trying to harm you. You had to defend yourself. There was nothing left to do."

"I don't know what I ever saw in him in the first place. What was I thinking?"

"Don't do that Monica. It's not healthy."

Monica reached in her bag and began eating her crackers. She was feeling nauseated again.

"You want me get you some water?" Nora asked.

"Yeah thanks."

Monica got up and gave Chandler a soft kiss on the mouth. She missed the feel of his lips against hers and the touch of his hands against her skin. She stood next to his bed caressing his hair. When Nora walked back in the room she smiled.

"Here's your water honey."

"Thank you."

Later that night, Monica sat on the edge on Chandler's bed with her hand in his. She put his hand to her cheek and closed her eyes.

Don't worry Monica. I won't be like that for this for long. I can't stay away from you, you know that. I wish I could let you know that I'm okay. I don't know what I would do if it were you in a coma instead of me. I hate even thinking about that. I hate thinking about you losing the baby also. I try not to think about it, but it's hard, especially since you haven't mentioned the baby. I can't help obsessing over it. Just please mention something, anything to let me know everything is okay. Please Monica.

Monica sat on the edge of the bed caressing his face. She felt that if she touched him and kissed him, he would eventually wake up. He looked so peaceful and so sweet. She wished that she could climb in the bed next to him. She leaned in once again and softly kissed him.

"Wake up sweetie."
 

WILL CHANDLER WAKE UP ANY TIME SOON?

CATCH THE NEXT ONE......SWEET KISSES