TOW THE ELEVATOR

By Creassya

This takes place a few months after (TOW The Vacation) Chandler and Monica have been avoiding each other ever since they slept together in Hawaii. They've barely spoken to each other. The gang is in London for Ross and Emily's Wedding, all except Phoebe and Rachel, but this is strictly about Chandler and Monica.

SCENE: (London Hotel, Chandler is waiting for an elevator. When it opens he sees Monica inside)

CHANDLER: Hi Mon.
MONICA: Hi Chandler.

(There's an awkward silence for a few seconds, then all of a sudden the elevator shakes, then stops, and the emergency lights come on)

MONICA: Oh My God!
CHANDLER: Are you okay?
MONICA: Yeah...I'm fine...you?
CHANDLER: Yeah.
MONICA: Oh My God, this is just perfect. First, my mother goes out of her way to make me feel as bad as humanly possible by constantly rubbing it in my face, that Ross is on his second marriage, and that I can't even manage to keep a boyfriend past three months, then I get stuck in an elevator with...
CHANDLER: Me
MONICA: Well...that's not what I meant.
CHANDLER: Really?
MONICA: Well, I meant it, but I didn't mean for it sound...
CHANDLER: Don't worry about it. It's all right. (Obviously hurt and a little upset)
MONICA: I'm sorry...I didn't mean...
CHANDLER: Mon I said don't worry about it.

(Monica sits down in the corner feeling guilty and even worse than she felt earlier)

MONICA: (Thinking to herself) (I can't believe I just did that. I just wanna go over there and hug and kiss him and tell him how much I love him, and want to be with him)

SCENE: (Elevator 2 hours later, Monica is asleep in the corner, and Chandler is watching her sleep)

CHANDLER: (Thinking to himself) (She looks so beautiful and peaceful. I love watching her sleep)

(Suddenly Monica's eyes open wide)

MONICA: Wow!
CHANDLER: What's wrong?
MONICA: Oh...nothing...I just had a dream that's all.
CHANDLER: Oh (Monica shivers so Chandler gets up, takes off his jacket, and goes over to Monica)
CHANDLER: Here...take my jacket.
MONICA: (Gazes up at him) Thankyou, but won't you be cold?
CHANDLER: I have sleeves. (Smiles)
MONICA: Thanks a lot Chandler.
CHANDLER: No problem.
MONICA: Chandler?
CHANDLER: Yeah...
MONICA: Things are so awkward between us.
CHANDLER: I know.
MONICA: I don't like it. I miss our friendship.
CHANDLER: Me too.
MONICA: If I would've know what this was going to do to our friendship, I wouldn't have...
CHANDLER: Slept with me?
MONICA: Well...I...I...
CHANDLER: What?
MONICA: (Frustrated because she's too afraid to tell him how she really feels about him) Nevermind.

SCENE: (London Hotel, elevator an hour later, Chandler has his head down and Monica is staring at him)

CHANDLER: (Thinking to himself) (Why can't I go back over there and tell her how I feel? I really feel like Monica is the one, and I really need to tell her)
MONICA: We've been in here for 3 hours.

(Chandler walks over to Monica and sits down)

CHANDLER: Maybe it's a sign.
MONICA: A sign?
CHANDLER: We've been so distant with each other for the past three months. We've never even talked about our feelings for each other after that day.
MONICA: What are you saying?
CHANDLER: I'm saying...I'm saying that this probably happened for a reason.
MONICA: What reason is that?
CHANDLER: C'mon Mon...we need to talk about this...y'know...our feelings...the day we slept together. Monica...ever since I can remember, I've had feeling for you. And from what you told me, the feeling is mutual.
MONICA: Chandler...I don't think...
CHANDLER: Monica...(Looks deep in her eyes) You're the one.
MONICA: (Obviously touched, but trying not to show it) Chandler please...
CHANDLER: No...I'm serious. I think about you before I go to sleep at night. I think about you when I wake up. Mon, I think about you constantly. I can't shake this feeling. I can't keep pretending that just being your friend is enough for me. I really really want to be with you. I mean...I can't stand not being with you.
MONICA: Chandler...I do have feelings for you too...but...I'm...scared.
CHANDLER: So am I...I have feared this place my entire life...y'know...being so afraid of commitment. I can't keep living like this. I want to face my fear...and I want to face it with you. I love you....Monica....I love you.

(Monica stares at Chandler with tears in her eyes)

MONICA: I don't know what to say.
CHANDLER: I do...

(Chandler leans in and kisses Monica, when they pull apart, he notices that she's crying)

MONICA: Chandler...I....

(Chandler interrupts her by kissing her more passionately)

CHANDLER: I'm not giving up you this time Monica.

(Chandler touches Monica's face)

MONICA: When we slept together in Hawaii...it really meant a lot to me. I've never had anyone make me feel that special. I mean, the way you held me, looked at me, kissed me, everything. I haven't been able to get that day out of my mind.
CHANDLER: Me either.
MONICA: I mean...you're so..so...sweet...caring..charming..cute...sensitive...and funny.
CHANDLER: Wow, I didn't know that.
MONICA: (Smiles) I always knew. That's why I don't wanna hurt you.
CHANDLER: What are you talking about?
MONICA: Chandler, I saw how those other women treated you. I don't want to be like those other women.
CHANDLER: Mon..why are you even comparing yourself to those women? You are so much better for me.
MONICA: Chandler you deserve better than someone like me.
CHANDLER: why are you talking like this?
MONICA: C'mon Chandler...I'm so bad at relationships. I can't even stay in a relationship past three months.
CHANDLER: Mon..you have to stop letting your Mom do this to you. She's the reason you can't stay in a relationship. She makes you feel like a failure doesn't she?
MONICA: Pretty much.

(Chandler takes Monica's hand in his)

CHANDLER: I just wish you could see how amazing you are. I feel so complete when I'm with you. I mean...you really make me feel good about myself. Noone's ever made me feel like this before.

(Monica reaches up and touches his face)

MONICA: I don't deserve you.
CHANDLER: We deserve each other. And Mon, I'm no better at relationships than you are.
MONICA: Then how are we supposed to make this work?
CHANDLER: It won't be easy, but what is? I don't have all the answers, but all I know is that I need you. And I know you're scared, but so am I.
MONICA: But I'm so neurotic, and....
CHANDLER: Don't you think I know that? It doesn't matter. I still want you. And besides...I'm just as neurotic as you are...but on a different level.
MONICA: (Smiles) You always know how to make me feel better.
CHANDLER: See...we bring out the best in each other. We always have.

(As they're about to kiss, the lights come back on, and the elevator starts moving again)

MONICA: (Stands up) We're moving.
CHANDLER: It's about time.

(The elevator stops on the 5th floor and the doors open. Monica is about to say something, but the maintenance guy interrupts her.

MAINTENANCE GUY: Are you two okay?
CHANDLER/MONICA: We're fine.
MAINTENANCE GUY: I'm sorry it took so long to get you out, but we've been having problems with this elevator for a while now. I was on my way to putting an Out Of Order sign up...but...
CHANDLER: We understand.
MONICA: Well this is my stop. So I'll see you tomorrow Chandler. (She leaves)
MAINTENANCE GUY: (Points to Chandler) You might want to take another elevator.
CHANDLER: No, I'll take the stairs.

SCENE: (London Hotel, 1 hour later, Monica's room, Monica is sitting on her bed thinking about what her and Chandler talked about in the elevator and when they were in Hawaii. Also, a montage of Chandler and Monica moments. Just picture (TOW The Birth) when Chandler hugs her after she's done talking to her mother on the pay phone. (TOW The Free Porn) when they're sitting in the same chair together, (TOW Phoebe's Husband) when they walk out of Ross's apartment and Chandler has his arm around her, (TOW The Screamer) when they're sitting on the couch in Central Perk, and Monica's leaning on Chandler, (TOW All The Feelings) when they reveal their feelings for each other, and (TOW The Vacation) when they're in the bathroom and Chandler comes behind her and hugs her like he did in (TOW The Last Night), both mine....

SCENE: (London Hotel, Chandler and Joey's room, Chandler is just hanging up with Joey when he hears a soft knock on the door)

CHANDLER: (Goes over and answers the door and sees that it's Monica) Hi
MONICA: Hi, is Joey here?
CHANDLER: No, he just called and told me that he'll be spending the night with that bridesmaid girl. Why?

(Monica gazes at Chandler for a few seconds, then puts her hands on his face and kisses him. Chandler closes the door as they're still kissing. He then leans her up against the wall still kissing her. Then he passionately kisses her neck as she runs her fingers through his hair. Before things become even more intense, she puts her hands to his face, and puts his face to hers so that they're looking at each other)

MONICA: I love you too Chandler.

(At the sound of those words, Chandler smiles at her with tears in his eyes. As Chandler and Monica continue to kiss and...y'know...we hear the song "After Tonight" by Mariah Carey, in the background. In case you don't know the song, here are the words. (Author's Note: I think this song is perfect for the night they spent in London. Pay close attention to all he words)

AFTER TONIGHT

I look at you looking at me
Feels like a feeling meant to be
And as your body moves with mine
It's like I'm lifted out of time
And time again
Patiently I've waited
For this moment to arrive

CHORUS 1:

After tonight
Will you remember
How sweet and tenderly
You reached for me
And pulled me closer
After you go
Will you return to love me
After tonight begins to fade

I feel your touch caressing me
This feeling's all I'll ever need
With every kiss from your sweet lips
It's like I'm drifting out of time

Alone will tell
If you feel the way I feel
When I look in your eyes

CHORUS 2:

After tonight
Will you remember
How sweet and tenderly
You reached for me
And pulled me closer
After you go
Will you return to love me
After the night becomes the day

Time
And time again
So patiently I've waited
For this moment to arrive

CHORUS 3:

After tonight
Will you remember
How sweet and tenderly
You reached for me
And pulled me closer
After you go
Baby will you return to love me
After tonight begins to fade