THE UNEXPECTED

                                           By Creassya
 

This is my What If series. It's about what probably would have happened if Chandler and Ross loss touch with each other after college, if Rachel never loss touch with Monica, and Joey was introduced to the gang through Phoebe.
 

Ross is in New Jersey for a Paleontology convention. The convention was only for the weekend and he was leaving tomorrow. He was on his way into the Marriott Hotel when someone tapped him on the shoulder. He turned around to see who it was. He was shocked to see that the person who tapped him on his shoulder was his old college roommate Chandler.

"Oh my God!" Ross said as they hugged each other.

"I know. How long has it been?" Chandler asked breaking the hug.

"Too long." Ross said.

"So, what are you doing here?" Chandler asked.

"They're having a Paleontology convention here."

"Oh. Well, how long are you in town for?"

"Just until tomorrow. So, you live here now?" Ross asked.

"Yeah. I've been living here for almost six years. Is the convention here, at the hotel?"

"Yeah. Today is the last day."

"Well, we can get together before you leave." Chandler suggested.

"All right. We can do that."

Back in NY, Monica and Rachel are at Central Perk. They're talking when Phoebe enters with an attractive man.

"Hey guys." Phoebe said.

"Hey Pheebs. Who's your friend?" Rachel asked.

"Oh, sorry. Joey, this is Monica and Rachel."

"Hey, how you doin?" He asked with a flirtatious smile.

Phoebe just looks at him.

"You can't flirt with them. They're my friends." Phoebe said.

"So." He said.

"Hi Joey, it's nice to meet you." Monica said.

"Thanks. So, what are you doing tonight?" Joey asked.

"Joey!"

"What?"

"She has a boyfriend." Phoebe said sitting down.

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"It's okay. Speaking of boyfriend, I have to meet him and I'm late. See you guys later." She said getting up and leaving.

"So, how you doin?" He asked looking at Rachel.

Phoebe and Rachel look at each other, and then back at Joey.

A couple days later Monica and Rachel are in their apartment watching TV when there's a knock on the door. Monica gets up and walks over to the door to answer it. She couldn't believe who was standing in front of her. She hadn't seen him in ages. He was gorgeous.

"Hi Monica." He said smiling.

"Chandler! Hi."

"How are you?"

"I'm fine." She answered.

"Can I come in?"

"I'm sorry. Come on in."

"Rachel, this is Chandler. He's Ross's old college roommate."

"Hi."

"Hi." He said shaking Rachel's hand.

"So, what brings you here?" Monica asked.

"I ran into Ross a couple days ago when he was in Jersey for a Paleontology convention. He told me to meet him here. I talked to him on the phone yesterday."

"Oh. He never mentioned anything about that." She said.

"I hope it's not a problem."

"Oh no, it's no problem. Have a seat."

"Thanks." He said sitting at the kitchen table.

"This is a nice place you have here."

"Thanks."

"You're looking good Monica." He said with that amazingly gorgeous smile.

"So are you."

Chandler always thought Monica was gorgeous, even when she was fat. Even though he wasn't crazy about her weight, he thought that she had a pretty face. Just then Monica's boyfriend Keith walked in with Ross.

"Hey Chandler. Sorry I'm late." Ross said.

"No Problem."

Keith walks over to Monica and kisses her. Chandler noticed that Monica didn't really want to kiss him.

"You ready Chandler?" Ross asked.

"Yeah." He said getting up.

Monica watched as Chandler left with Ross. It was weird, but she didn't want Keith to kiss her in front of Chandler.

"Are you ready Monica?" Keith asked.

"Yeah, I just have to get my purse." She said going into her room.

When Monica disappeared into her room, Keith and Rachel glared at each other. She didn't like him, and he didn't like her. She knew that Monica was happy with him, but there was something about him she didn't like. She was afraid to tell Monica how she felt about Keith, so she kept her feelings to herself. When Monica returned to living room, her and Keith said good-bye and they left. She secretly wished that Monica would dump him. She felt that she deserved better. She also wished that she knew somebody that she could set Monica up with.

Later that night Monica and Keith returned to her place. They were in her room sitting on her bed.

"What's the problem now Monica?" Keith asked angrily.

"It's your attitude. You talk to people any kind of way. You don't care about others feelings, including mine."

"I care about your feelings."

"Keith, not once have you opened up a door for me, or pulled out my chair. You never say sweet or romantic things to me."

"What do you want from me? I buy you whatever you want."

"I don't want you to buy me everything I want. I never ask for anything. I just want you to be more romantic."

"Where is all this coming from all of a sudden?" Keith asked.

"I've been feeling this way for a while now."

"Then why are you just bringing it up?"

"Because, I'm tired of this. It just doesn't feel like you care about me."

"Well, I do. Despite what you think, I care okay." He said standing up.

"It sure doesn't feel like it."

The next day Ross, Rachel, and Monica were in Central Perk talking about their plans for the weekend.

"So you and Keith aren't doing anything this weekend?" Rachel asked.

"No, he's going to visit his parents in long Island."

"What about you Ross?" Monica asked.

"Oh, Chandler's coming to town. We'll probably go bowling and to this new club I heard about."

"Sounds fun." Rachel said.

"You two want to come with us?" Ross asked.

"Yeah sure, why not?" Monica said.

Phoebe and Joey comes in and sits down.

"Hey Pheebs." Ross said.

"Hey."

"Ross this is Joey. He's a friend of Phoebe's." Monica said.

"Hi, nice to meet you." Ross said going over to him and shaking his hand.

"You too."

"So, are the two of you dating?" Ross asked.

"No. I met him through a friend from work."

"Yeah, I was dating her friend Samantha for a little while, and I got to know Phoebe and we became friends."

"Oh okay."

When Friday night came around everyone was at Monica and Rachel's waiting for Chandler to show up. Monica was in her room sitting on the bed. She was upset with Keith. She had talked to him hours ago and they were arguing. She was starting to see another side of Keith that she didn't like. He only wanted to spend a lot of time with her so that she wouldn't spend time with her friends. When he found out what her plans where for the weekend all of a sudden he wanted her to be with him and his parents. When she declined he got angry and hung up the phone. He was starting to do that a lot lately. Whenever she set aside time for her friends he got angry with her. She hated that about him. When she laid back on the bed, Phoebe came in and announced that Chandler was here.

Hours later, they were leaving the bowling alley and heading to the Peacock Club. Chandler couldn't help himself. He watched Monica the whole time. He couldn't take his eyes off her. He tried to control himself, but it was difficult. Once they were at the club, they never left each other's side. When she went to the bathroom, he sat at the bar and waiting for her to return. When she came back to the bar, they sat and talked and had a few drinks. They even danced together a few times. They were having a good time together. Monica had forgotten about how angry she was with Keith. Not only was Chandler gorgeous and fun to be with, but he was such a gentlemen.

The next day Monica was on the couch on her way to sleep, when she heard a knock on the door. She got up to answer the door and was excited to see Chandler standing there. They hugged each other and he came in.

"I'm not interrupting anything am I?" He asked sitting at the kitchen table.

"Like what?"

"You don't have company do you?"

"Oh no."

"Is there something wrong?" He asked concerned.

"Why?"

"Well, I don't know. You seem a little sad."

"How can you tell?" She asked surprised.

"I pay attention." He said smiling.

"I haven't told anybody this, but I'm really not happy in my relationship."

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"I'm starting to see the real Keith y'know. I'm not even sure what attracted me to him in the first place. He's not a gentlemen at all."

"So why stay with him?"

"I don't know. I guess I'm just stupid."

"Monica, you're not stupid. You're human. How long have you been with him?"

"Three months."

"Wow, that's longer than any relationship I've ever been in." He said grinning.

"I'm sorry. I don't mean to bitch about my relationship. This must be boring to listen to."

"No. I mean, I did ask you what was wrong."

"I know."

"I'm sure everything will work itself out." He said.

"I hope so. He doesn't even like my friends. How could I stay with somebody like that? I'm sorry. There I go again."

"Monica, honestly, I don't mind.

"You know, you've really changed a lot. I don't remember you being this sweet and sensitive."

"Really? What did you think of me?"

"Well, I thought you were a little arrogant and insensitive."

"Ouch!"

"But not anymore." She said.

"Why did you think I was insensitive?"

"I overheard you saying that I was fat."

"Oh Monica....I'm sorry....

"It's okay."

"No, it's not. My God, you must have hated me back then."

"I didn't hate you."

"If I were you I would have hated me." He said.

"I'm past it now. Don't worry about it. You were a different person then."

"Yeah, but I'm sorry Monica, seriously."

"Chandler, I accept your apology."

"All right. Can I make it up to you?"

"You already have." She said smiling.

Chandler came to town every weekend and sometimes during the week to spend time with Ross and Monica. Sometimes he did things with Ross, and other times he did things with just Monica, or both of them. He did this for months, which did sit too well with Monica's boyfriend. Keith didn't like anyone who he thought was taking Monica away from him, including Ross. Keith accused Ross of taking up too much of her time. He was beginning to become more and more obsessive about her. Rachel had already expressed to Chandler that she and Keith didn't get along. Chandler not only hated the fact that Monica had a boyfriend, but he also hated the way she was being treated. There was one time when he yelled at her for no reason right in front of him. He wanted to say something so bad, but Monica had the situation under control. He told himself that if Keith ever yelled at Monica like that again, he wouldn't be so nice.

Monica and Keith were at the Coffee House when Chandler walked in and sat down at the small table near the couch. He instantly noticed the angry expression on Monica's face.

"Okay Mon, let's go." Keith said.

"We just got here."

"Well, now we're just leaving."

"Why?" She asked near tears.

"Is it because you don't want her around us?" Chandler asked angrily.

"Chandler." Monica said.

"No, I wanna know."

"This is none of your business." Keith said standing up.

"I think it is. I'm sick of seeing you treat her like shit." Chandler said standing up.

"Come on, this is not the place." Monica said looking from Chandler to Keith.

Chandler and Keith ignore her and inch toward each other. Gunther notices this and comes in between them.

"You have to take this outside." Gunther said.

"We're leaving." Monica said to Gunther.

Monica grabs Keith's arm and stirs him toward the door. Chandler sits down with his fist still bawled up. When they opened the door to leave, Monica looked back at Chandler and mouthed thank you to him. He was so close to telling Keith to stay away from her, but he stopped himself. He was amazed at how fast he became angry. He couldn't remember the last time he had gotten mad enough to fight somebody. He was beginning to realize how protective he was over Monica. He was also beginning to realize that he was falling for her........
 
 
 

WHAT IS CHANDLER GOING TO DO ABOUT HIS UNEXPECTED FEELINGS FOR MONICA?
FIND OUT IN THE NEXT ONE......CATCHING FEELINGS!