`A WAKE UP CALL`

BY CREASSYA
 
 

This takes place after When Emotions Run Deep. Monica clinging to Chandler has put a strain on their relationship. Chandler lied about having to stay at work late so that he could have some time to himself, and Monica feels as if he'll get tired of her and break up with her. When we last left off, Chandler and Monica had an argument. Chandler stormed out of the apartment leaving Monica alone crying.
 

It's a week after Chandler and Monica big argument. He left his apartment and checked himself into a hotel like he did in That Special Someone. No one knew where he was. He called Joey the whole week that he was gone to check on Monica. He knew that it was time to come home and deal with her, but he wasn't quite ready. He was in his office sitting at his desk staring into space. He couldn't think of anything that he had done to make Monica turn on him. He was loving, kind, and understanding. Occasionally he lost his temper, but she usually forgave him and they would make up. The week away from her he cried himself to sleep. He was used to falling asleep with her in his arms. He knew that eventually their relationship would hit rock bottom with all that's been going on in their lives lately. He loved her more than anything and was prepared to fight for their relationship.

Monica had just gotten home from work. She went straight to her room. She sat on the bed thinking about Chandler and tears in her eyes. She was even more upset with him. He's been gone for a week and nobody knew where he was. He called Joey to see how she was doing and he told her that Chandler was okay. She was going through all these emotions and she wasn't handling it well. She didn't know who she was anymore. She felt like she had lost her identity along with her sight. She regained her sight, but she wasn't the same. She decided that she would sit in her apartment a minute longer. It was too depressing.

Phoebe was in her room watching TV, when she heard a knock on the door. She turned off the TV and went to see who it was. She was a little surprised that it was Monica.

"Hey Mon."

"Hi." She said coming in.

"What brings you here? Are you all right?"

"I don't know. I came here to see how you were."

"Oh, I'm fine."

They sat on the couch to talk.

"It feel like I haven't seen you in ages." Monica said.

"I know. I haven't seen too much of anybody lately."

"Phoebe, do you still blame yourself for what happened that day we were held hostage?"

"Yeah."

"Sweetie, it's not your fault. Jake had already planned it all."

"Yeah, but....

"Phoebe, we don't hold you responsible for what happened. It could have happened to any one of us."

"I know, but it happened to me. I was actually going out with him. I helped him get closer to all of us." She said with tears in her eyes.

"This all happened because we witnessed a murder of two people."

"I know." She said crying.

Monica moved closer to her and pulled her into a hug. She really missed her friends. They barley hung out anymore. She felt that all the stressed they were enduring was tearing them all apart. She stayed with Phoebe for a couple hours. When she left her apartment, she decided to go over to Ross's. When he opened the door, he gave her big hug. When she walked in, she noticed that Faye was there.

"Hi Monica." She said getting up and giving her a hug.

"Hi. I didn't mean to interrupt anything."

"Don't be silly." Faye said sitting back on the couch.

"Yeah, we don't mind the company." Ross said sitting next to Faye.

"I just thought I'd stop by and see how my brother's doing. I don't get to see you much these days. You're always working."

"I know. I barely see him. He's become a workaholic." Faye said.

"So, what have you guys been up to?"

"Nothing much. This is the first time I've seen him in a week."

"Faye, let's not start this again." Ross said a little irritated.

"Oh hey, I didn't mean to start anything." Monica said.

"It's been started." Faye said.

"Whatever." Ross said going into his room and slamming the door.

"I'm sorry Faye."

"It's not you. It's this whole thing."

"What whole thing?" Monica asked.

"He's been having a hard time ever since he saw Jake holding you guys hostage. He has nightmare about Jake killing you. It's all effected him more than he realized."

"I didn't know."

"He didn't want to tell you. I think that's why he's been working so much lately. He's been trying get it out of his head. He hasn't even been spending time with Ben. I mean Carol's been really understanding and everything, but Ben misses him."

"Yeah, I can imagine."

"I didn't know you guys were having problems. I guess I've been pretty self absorbed."

"Don't be so hard on yourself. Everybody's been effected by what's happened."

When Monica opened the door to her and Rachel's apartment she saw Chandler sitting on the couch. She didn't want to speak to him. She walked over to the couch and sat down.

"How are you?" He asked.

"How do you think I am?"

"I don't know. That's why I asked." He said getting angry.

"You leave for a week and don't tell anybody where you are. I'm pissed."

"Look, I just needed some time to think."

"About?"

"Us."

"So you do wanna end it."

"Why do you assume that I want us to break up?"

"It's what you want isn't it?"

"No!"

"That's what it sounds like."

"No, it sounds like you're the one who wants to break up."

"I don't feel like getting into this Chandler."

"Neither do I. I just came by here to see how you were doing." He said getting up and leaving.

She sat there wishing that she hadn't put her foot in her mouth. She hated making him mad, but she couldn't help it. She had so much anger bottled up inside her. She didn't want to lose him for anything, but she felt that if she continued to behave this way she would.

Chandler went to his room. He missed the Monica he fell in love with. These days she was so cold to him. He wanted her to open up to him and tell him what was wrong, but she wouldn't. He realized that what happened to them that night of the explosion changed their lives for the worst. None of his friends were the same. Ross worked all the time, Joey spent the weekends at his parents house because he hated staying at home, Rachel woke up screaming in the middle of the night, and Phoebe distanced her self from everybody. He knew that their lives would never be the same, but he never thought that it would cause them all to go in separate directions.

The next day Monica decided to take a walk in the park. She didn't want to be there when Chandler came home from work. She knew that she should tell him want was bothering her, but she didn't feel like talking about it. She grabbed her purse and headed out the door. She felt like a walk would do her some good. She realized that she and Chandler weren't the only couple haven't problems. She spent all night thinking about Ross and Faye. She didn't know Ross was having such a hard time. He saw the gun being pointed to her head and he couldn't do anything but watch. Now it was eating him up inside and he was taking it out on Faye. She wished that there was something she could do for him.

Chandler walked into his and Joey's apartment after a hard day at work. He spoke to Joey and Ross and went straight to his room. Joey and Ross looked at each other. Chandler looked bad. He wasn't sleeping and he was working overtime. Him not getting along with Monica was tearing him inside. He put his briefcase beside his bed. He wasn't feeling too good so he sat down on his bed. Seconds later he noticed that his chest hurt, so he loosened up his tie. He was beginning to get scared because he thought he was about to have a heart attack. Suddenly he began having difficulty breathing. When he stood up he felt dizzy. The room was spinning in slow motion and him not being able to breath got worst. He was experiencing really bad chest pains. He slowly walked to the door and opened it. He walked out of the room clutching his chest and wheezing. Joey and Ross quickly got up out of their chairs and went over to him. He collasped on to the floor still holding his hand to his chest.

Monica was slowly walking back to her apartment. She did a lot of thinking as she walked. It felt good to by out by herself. She didn't really want to go back home, but something told her too. She couldn't explain what she was feeling, but she felt like something was wrong. She had no logical reason to believe that something bad was happening, but she starting shaking and she rushed back to her apartment. When she opened the door Rachel came out of her room.

"Monica where have you been?" She shouted.

"I went for a walk why?"

"Joey and Ross just rushed Chandler to the hospital."

"What? What happened?"

"I don't know. They think he might be having a heart attack."

"A heart attack!"

"I'm not really sure."

"Oh My God!" She said with tears in her eyes.

"Come on, we have to go." Rachel said.

Joey and Ross are in the hospital waiting area when Monica and Rachel arrive.

"What's wrong with him?" Monica asked sobbing.

"We don't know yet." Ross said.

After an hour, a doctor came into the waiting area to tell them what was wrong with Chandler. The three of them stood up, but Monica was too nervous to stand.

"What's wrong with Chandler?" She asked looking up at the doctor.
 
 
 

WHAT'S HAPPENING TO CHANDLER?

STAY TUNED.............