*SEEING CLEARLY*

by Creassya
 
 
 

This takes place after Crying Out. The judge didn't award Dave bail so he remains in custody until the trial. Monica became hysterical when she woke up one morning and Chandler wasn't next to her, which scared him. After calling their psychiatrist for an emergency session, Chandler and Monica made an agreement. Chandler has to call Monica on his cell phone all the time, no matter where is. And last time we left off, Monica had just regained her sight. (Aren't you excited!)
 

Chandler looked into Monica's eyes finally understanding. She had regained her sight. He could barely contain his joy. He hugged her tightly, then he put his hands to her face and looked into her eyes again and passionately kissed her. He pulled back to look at her and smiled.

"You can see me!?"

"That's what I said gorgeous." She said smiling.

"Can you see clear?"

"Yeah. But not at first. It was blurry."

"I can't believe it. You finally have your sight back honey."

"Me either. I was starting think I would never see again."

"We have to celebrate." He said getting up.

"But don't you have to go to work?"

"Nope, I'll just call Doug, and tell him I need another week at home."

"You can do that?"

"Of course I can. He told me to take as much time as I needed as long as I'm working at home. He didn't even want me to take a leave of absence."

"Really? I didn't know that. You must be the best employee he has."

"Yeah, that's what he told me." He said smiling.

Monica looked at Chandler smiling and got tears in her eyes. She smiled through her tears enjoying the fact that she can finally look into his face.

"I almost forgot how gorgeous you are. I love that smile." She said.

"And I love you." He said coming closer and kissing her very softly and passionately on the lips.

Chandler called everybody and told them to come over to Monica's and Rachel's apartment after work. They were all wondering why they had to come over after work, but he didn't tell them anything about Monica getting her sight back. They wanted it to be a surprise. They even told Lana to come over. Chandler told Doug that he needed another week to work at home. He told Chandler that it was no problem and he'll be sending him so more work.

After work everyone was gathered at Monica and Rachel's apartment. Chandler was standing in front of the TV set facing his audience. Monica was in her room. They were all eagerly anticipating Chandler's big news. He stood in front of them with a serious look on his face, careful not to give away anything. He saw the anticipation on the faces of those who were sitting in front of him. They were all expecting bad news. With Monica being less and less like herself these days, they were afraid that something else might have happened. Monica's parents sat with their eyes glued to Chandler's face. Judy suspected that Chandler wanted to put her in a mental institution or something.

Monica sat on her bed waiting for Chandler to break the news. She couldn't wait to see the faces of those she knows and loves. She didn't understand why she was so nervous. She got up off the bed and began to pace across the floor. She had been eager to see everyone throughout the day. The plan was that Chandler would invite their friends and family over, tell them the news, have Monica come out, and it would turn into a party. It was definitely cause to celebrate. They had all been through so much. They needed some good news. With Dave behind bars and Monica regaining her sight, they had two reasons to celebrate.

Ross was the last person to arrive. Once he arrived, they were all urging him to tell them what was going on.

"Okay everyone, I know you're all wondering why I invited you here today." He began. I have some news that I just couldn't wait to share with you all."

"Well, can you tell us some time this year? We're getting old over here." Joey said.

"Okay, I've kept you waiting long enough. It's about Monica...."

"Oh God! What happened this time?" Judy asked.

"Nothing, she just got her sight back, that's all." Chandler said with a big smile on his face.

He then went over to her bedroom door and told her to come out. She walked out of her room and stood by Chandler. She looked at her family and friends through watery eyes. While everyone got up to hug and kiss her, Chandler went over to turn on the stereo. The party had officially started. Everyone was so relieved that she had finally regained her sight, and that Chandler didn't have anything bad to tell them.

Once the party started, they all relaxed and had a good time. For the first time in months, the gang was laughing and having fun. They put aside their worries for that evening. It was as if the last four months never happened. They even invited Ronald, who seemed to being having a good time with Lana. Gunther was sitting on the couch talking to Rachel. She was still sore all over, so she couldn't do much. Occasionally Monica left Chandler's side and went over to talk to Rachel, but she still kept a close eye on him. While she was talking to her parents, Chandler was talking with his boss Doug. Chandler had explained everything that had happened over the course of four months including Monica's behavior. Doug had noticed how much Monica clung to Chandler. At first Chandler wanted to work from home because he didn't want to leave Monica while she was blind. Then it got to the point where he couldn't go to work because she needed him there with her all the time. Doug understood.

Chandler was glad that he had such an understanding boss. He was already going through enough without having to worry about losing his job. When Doug went to mingle, Monica came back over to Chandler. He looked at her, then gave her a soft kiss on the mouth. She looked into his eyes and smiled. He was gorgeous. He still had a long cut across his forehead from the accident, but it was healing. Occasionally his legs ached, but he was dealing with it.

Later that night, they were saying good to everyone as they were leaving. When the last person left, they went to bed. Chandler was tired and he immediately went to sleep. Monica sat up and watched him sleep. She didn't want to go to sleep just yet. She knew that she was being silly, but she felt that if she went to sleep, she would wake up blind again, as if regaining her sight was a dream. She couldn't take her eyes off Chandler. She had to wait four months to see his face again. Even with the long cut on his forehead, he was gorgeous. He was lying on his back with his arm thrown over his head. She took his hand and laced her fingers through his. Then she put his hand to her face. She looked at him lovingly and kissed his forehead. He stirred a little, but didn't wake up. She put his arm around her, cuddled next to him and went to sleep.

The next morning, Chandler felt something on his face, his forehead, and than his lips. Then he realized that someone was kissing him. He slowly opened his eyes and smiled. This time Monica had awakened him with a kiss. It was nice.

"Hey gorgeous." He said.

"Hey, that was supposed to be my line." She said kissing him again.

"I missed having you looking at me."

"Me too."

"Did you sleep good?"

"Yeah. It was weird. I was kinda scared to go to sleep."

"Why?" He asked touching her face.

"I thought that when I woke up this morning, I'd still be blind. I know, it's crazy."

"It's not crazy. I guess it's still hard for you to believe that you have your sight back huh?"

"Yeah. I thought I'd be blind for about a year or so, or forever."

Chandler caressed her face and she closed her eyes. She loved to feel his hands on her face, and other places as well. She and Chandler hadn't had sex in over four months. After they had gotten home from Virginia, they had tried several times, but Chandler would always freak out. She wasn't sure if he still had flashbacks. She wanted them to get intimate, but she was afraid that he would start seeing images of the explosion again.

"What are you thinking about?" He asked.

"Oh, I'm just thinking about how much I love you."

"Good answer."

"I know." She said laughing.

In the weeks that followed, Monica's behavior didn't change. She seemed happier, but she was still clinging to Chandler. He was back to work full time, and he had to call her every hour on the hour. His cell phone bill was huge from having to call her all the time. He still had to wake her in the middle of the night when he went to use the bathroom. He was wondering when all this would end. He thought that once she regained her sight, he wouldn't have to worry about this anymore. Monica's behavior was putting a strain on their relationship.

Monica was sitting on the couch watching TV and waiting for Chandler to call her again. He was supposed to have called her a half hour ago. She was getting tense and worried. She hated feeling this way. She fought the urge to call his office. She felt herself about to panic until the phone rang. It was Chandler.

"Chandler, you were supposed to call a while ago."

"I know, I'm sorry. I had meeting that run over."

"But you were still supposed to call me." She said near tears.

"Well, I'm calling you now Monica." He said slightly irritated.

Monica got angry and hung up the phone. When he called back she didn't answer. She sat and listened to him leave a message on the answering machine.

"Monica. Monica, honey pick up the phone. Please, don't act like this....... Fine, I'll call back in an hour. I love you."

Chandler sat at his desk feeling guilty. He was a little irritated with her, but he should have handled it better. He was tempted to leave work early and go home to check on her. Everything upset him these days. The trial was two days away and he was feeling the pressure. Doug told Chandler that he didn't have to come back to work until the trial was over when they had talked at the party two weeks ago, but he insisted on coming back. He needed to get out of the house and to keep busy. When he worked at home, he was distracted. In his office, he had time to himself.

Rachel came out of her room slowly and sat on the couch next to Monica.

"What's wrong?" Rachel asked.

"I'm a huge pain in the ass." Monica answered with tears in her eyes.

"Oh come on Mon, don't say that."

"It's true."

"You're not a pain in the ass Monica."

"Well, I'm afraid that Chandler might have to disagree with you."

"Why? What happened?"

"I hung up on him." She said feeling guilty.

"Why did you do that?"

"Because....he was late calling me."

"Monica.....

"I know. He said that he was in a meeting, and I got angry."

"Did he call back?"

Monica reached over and pressed a button so that Rachel could hear the message Chandler left of the answering machine. She pressed the stop button once the message was over and looked at Rachel.

"See, I'm a bitch."

"Monica, will you stop that. You're being too hard on yourself."

"Maybe, but I hate us being mad at each other."

Rachel reached over and gave her a hug.

"I'm sure he's not mad at you.

Later that day, Chandler came in Monica and Rachel's apartment while Monica was sitting on the couch. She turned around and looked at him without a word. She got up and walked over to him. She met him in the middle of the floor. They stopped and looked at each other. Then they stepped closer to each other and kissed really slowly and passionately. They kissed each other as if they hadn't kissed in months. While they were kissing, he held her tightly in his arms, and she ran her fingers through his hair. His hands left the small of her back and slowly moved to her face and then to the back of her head. They kissed for a couple minutes, then they stopped and held each other.

"I love you Chandler." She whispered.

"I love you too." He said squeezing her tighter.

"I'm sorry for being such a bitch."

"You're not." He said softly kissing her.

"I don't know how you put up with me."

"I don't know how you put up with ME." He said.

Later that night in Chandler and Joey's apartment, Monica was awaken by Chandler tossing and turning. He was having trouble sleeping. She sat up in bed and looked at him. He laid on his back with his eyes open.

"What's wrong sweetie?"

"I can't sleep."

"You thinking about the trial?"

"Yeah."

"You don't think they're gonna get off do you?"

"The thought crossed my mind." He said putting his hands over his face.

"Yeah, me too. I get to see their faces for the first time. I'm not looking forward to it."

"I just wish we never went to that damn store." He said.

"I think we've all felt that way one time or another."

"So much has happened. Just think, I get to testify at Dave's trial in another four months." He said letting his hands drop to the bed.

"There gonna rip us apart on the stand." She said.

"Yeah, like we're the criminals. I wish they never made it out of the store." Chandler said angrily.

"You don't mean that."

"Why don't I? Look how much pain they've caused us. Look how much has happened."

"I know." She said. But I would rather for them to suffer in jail for the rest of their lives then to die."

"Well, I would rather them be dead."

"Death is too easy for them. It let's them off the hook. In jail, they have to deal with what the did to us and to God knows who else."

"I keep thinking about Phoebe." Chandler said.

"I know. I think she still feels guilty for letting Jake know about everything we knew."

"Yeah, she really doesn't want to see him again."

"I don't blame her. I mean, can you imagine going out with somebody and then found out that that person not only wants to use you, but wants to kill you and your friends? I feel so bad for her. We haven't exactly been good friends to her lately." Monica said.

"I know. We almost forgot how hard this is for her because we were so wrapped up in our problems."

"Joey said that he found her out in the hall crying that day I lost it."

"Really? He didn't tell me that."

Chandler and Monica laid in bed quietly. They started seeing their friends pain and misery, and ignoring their own for once. They felt extremely guilty for not being there for their friends. They hadn't realized how selfish they were being until that moment. They didn't sleep at all that night. They left early to go see Phoebe before she headed off to work. When Phoebe opened the door, she looked a mess. Her eyes were puffy, red, and swollen.

"Phoebe, your eyes!" Monica said.

"Come on in guys."

They came in and sat on the couch. Chandler handed her some flowers he and Monica bought. She thanked them and put the flowers in a vase.

"Have you been crying?" Chandler asked.

"Yeah. I didn't want anybody to see me like this." She said with tears in her eyes.

"Phoebe, we're your friends." Monica said going over and hugging her.

"Yeah. We're sorry we haven't been here for you."

"What are you talking about?" Phoebe asked.

Monica went over to the couch and sat back down.

"Well, we've been so wrapped up in what we were going through that we didn't see what you and everybody else was going through. We're sorry." Chandler said.

"Oh come on, I don't expect you to be here all the time checking on me. You guys have so much on your minds....."

"Yeah, but that's still not an excuse. We haven't even asked you how all of this was affecting you." Monica said.

"It's okay, you're here now." She said with tears streaming down her face.

They stayed and talked with her all morning. She was too upset to go into work, so she called out. She told them that she had flashbacks all the time, but she didn't have nightmares. Just once in the last four months. After they were held hostage, she had her phone number changed. She didn't want Jake calling her to harass her like he did with the others.

The next day, they were all dressed and sitting in Monica and Rachel's apartment. The trial was in less than two hours and they wanted to get something to eat before they went to court. Monica was in her room sitting on the bed with her face buried in her hands. She was nervous about testifying. Chandler was kneeling beside the bed rubbing her leg.

Phoebe was sitting next to Joey with her head on his shoulder. She looked a lot better than she had the day before, but she didn't feel better, she felt worst. Chandler and Monica finally emerged from her room and they all left. Once they were in the courtroom and everyone was seated, the defendants were brought out of holding and placed at the defense table. When Jake looked back at them, Monica got her first glimpse of one of the men who caused her blindness and she shuddered. Chandler held her hand as if to reassure her that everything was going to be okay. Then Jake gave them an evil grin just as Dave had done when they attended his bail hearing. Chandler glared at him. He knew that this was going to be a long trial.......
 
 
 

GETTING INTERESTING?

STAY TUNED................