TOW AWKWARDNESS
WRITTEN BY: TRACEY


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

This is my third fanfic, I have taken a lot of time writing these fics, and I enjoy it but I would still love to know what you think, good, bad or impartial.

This follows on from my previous two, and will make little sense if you haven't read them (so go read them now) but if you decide to read on anyway, there are a few things you should know. First C&M (of which this fic is mostly about) have broken up, secondly, this fic would take place in season 5 after everyone has found out but before Joey's big break or Vegas. Thirdly, Ross is uncomfortable with C&M's relationship (he thinks they make each other happy, but that his little sister and his best friend doing stuff is weird, he is not sure how to handle it). And, last but by no means least Phoebe is trying to "broaden her horizons" by finding new coffee-houses to play in. So, without further ado I present to you my third fanfic. Enjoy.

Disclaimer: Characters belong to Bright, Kauffman, Crane, Warner Bros. NBC etc, not mine, no profit etc.
 
 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

Central Perk, Ross, Joey and Phoebe are present (seat them exactly yourselves)

Ross: (sympathetically) Joey, the part was yours

Joey: (sadly) I know, I don't know what went wrong.

Phoe: (matter-of-factly) maybe, it was because you took that moping minnie you live with.

Joey: Do you think so?

Phoe: (mad) Totally, his aura is all outta whack, it's enough to put anyone off.

Ross: She has a point(unsure) maybe not about that aura thing but (normally) he is sending out the wrong signals to a prospective employer. (Joey looks at him confused) (Explaining) The casting director.

Joey: (mad) You're right (stands on the spot) I'm gonna go give him apiece of my mind, ruining my career.

Phoe: (suddenly all sympathetic, takes his hand) Oh no, leave him he is so fragile now.

Joey: (his eyes soften) Yeah you're right.

OPENING CREDITS

Same as before, but Rachel is there (seat them yourselves againtalk about interactive TV)

Ross: So, does the place seem empty without Stewart around.

Joey: Nah, it's pretty much the way it was (all look at him shocked) space wise.

Rach: I cannot believe Chandler hit him,

Phoe: I know

Ross: what!? I never heard that, what happened?

Joey: It was so cool, when Stewart got back from his interview, he strolled in and opened his big mouth to talk and suddenly there was Chandlers fist, it was quite funny (all look shocked again.) It was funny afterwards, at the time it was like whoa, scary, I had no idea you could break someone's nose in three different places in one punch, or that Chandler could do it, I tell you, I've been following any of his instructions really carefully since then.

Rach: (unsure) I think he would only hit you if you hit on Monica, not if youyou took the trash out wrong.

Joey: You think, cool,

Phoe: (changing the subject) so, does anyone want to know how my coffee-house hunt is going?

All: (uninterested) yeah, sure, etc (they are mumbling amongst themselves, obviously about C&M)

Phoe: Fine, then I won't tell you which famous, (Joe sits up), Very rich, (Rach listens) and dinosaur related (Ross sits up) movie star I ran into yesterday. (This doesn't mean he's old)

All: (very interested) Who,

Phoe: (excited) Well, I was in this little coffee-house down the street, and they through be out, so I was walking down the street and bam, there was Jeff Goldblum.

All: (amazed) Wow!

Phoe: I know

Rach: Was it really him?

Ross: (to Rach) Of course it was him, do you doubt phoebe (to Phoe) did you get his autograph?

Phoe: Thank you Ross, but no, I couldn't get his autograph,

Ross &Joey: (disappointed) Why?

Phoe: 'Cause it turns out he was promoting his latest film and even though I'd been talking to him for half an hour(to Rach) he's a really good listener some guy yelled at me (mimicking) "Stupid woman stop talking to that cardboard cut out of an actor," so I ran after the guy, to defend Jeff. (Ross and Rachel look at each other, Rach laughs at Ross)

Rach: (mimicking) "Of course it was him, do you doubt Phoebe."

Joey: (Confused) I always thought Jeff Goldblum was good? (Ross and Rach look at him, and Phoebe nods like he is)

Hallway between apartments, we see Ross, Phoe, Rach and Joey coming back from the coffee-house, all look pissed.

Rach: Can you believe they kicked us out?

Ross: I know, the amount of time and money we spend in there.

Phoe: Well, they were closing

Joey: (as they reach the doors) You know what this means don't you. (They all look from one door to the other two or three times as if watching a tennis game,)

Phoe: (game show host voice) Only, you can decide door number one, (they all look at J&C's) orrrrrrrr (rolling her R) door number two. (All look to M&R's)

Rach: SO, what do we do?

Ross: We could go to mine?

All: Brilliant idea, great, I am there etc. (turning to leave)

Rach: Stop, wait a minute, we can't avoid them forever, they need us right now(all look sorry) Plus, I have a date tonight and my stuff is in there (pointing to 20).

Cut to M&R's the door opens slowly, Phoe & Rach appear slowly round the door

Rach: Oh, well no one here, what a shame, let's go before she gets back. (Phoe stops her)

Phoe: Rach, can you see that (Rach looks around)

Rach: What am I looking at? (Obviously seeing nothing)

Phoe: The colour of the room

Rach: Yeah I don't think Monica's cleaned today,

Phoe: He's been here.

Rach: (very confused) Who?

Just then Chandler walks out of Monica's bedroom, the audience goes wild, and Rach and Phoe look shocked. Chandler sees them and also looks shocked, they stare at each other a minute while the audience dies down.

Rach: What the hell are you doing hereandand in there?

Chan: (lost for words) WellI, this isn't what it looks like(Mon walks out of her bedroom in a bathrobe)

Mon: Chandler, you forgot these, (she holds up a pair of boxer shorts, then notices the girls and looks shocked, then the door opens and Ross and Joey enter)

Joey: He's not there, (they notice him standing with Mon outside her bedroom door, and her in a bathrobe holding his boxersthey assume they are his) Did I fall asleep and miss something else, (to himself) Man, I must stop doing that.

Mon: (angry) what are you all looking at? Here (she throws the boxers at Chandler)

Chan: (sarcastically) Thank you so much.

Mon: Just be thankful that's all I'm throwing at you, (she turns to go into her room, he goes to the door)

Rach: Wait, (they stop) what is going on?

Mon: Nothing, he was just picking up some of his stuff.

All minus C&M: (shocked) Already

Mon: What do you mean, already?

Rach: Isn't it a bit quick?

Mon: Quickwhat are we leading up to?

Ross: You guys have been split two weeks, (Chan crosses his arms and leans on the counter by the door looking at Monica, with a look like let's-see-you-fight -this-if-you-can, Mon sees his look, and gets angrier)

Mon: (Fake shock) Really, you mean we're on an anniversary, shoot, I forgot, we should have a party to celebrate

Phoe: (looking around the room) I don't like this colour (Chan sighs and leaves) Oh, no, help I'm blind its all black what happened,

Joey: (worried) What's wrong, someone help her, (all look shocked) I'll get Chandler he'll know what to do (Joey exits and re-enters dragging Chandler)

Phoe: It's ok, I can see again, (to Chandler) you saved me, (she gives him a huge hug,)

Rach: Since the emergency is over, I have to go get ready for my date, Pheebs will you help me

Phoe: Sure,

Joey: Ross, aren't you supposed to have Ben this weekend, remember you said I could take him to the park so that I could play on the swings.

Ross: Yeah, I was just going to get him, you wanna come, (Joey looks around and sees Chandler staring at Monica, she is now filling a vase with water.)

Joey: Yeah, I'll come. (Ross and Joey leave)

Mon: (turning from the sink, still holding the vase not realising everyone has left) Can someone (Noticing only Chandler)

Chan: What?

Mon: Never mind,

Chan: I can do it, what is it.

Mon: I don't think so

Chan: We want to salvage our friendship don't we admittedly, there isn't anything I'd rather be doing than kissing you but, I want you to be happy and if my severe pain allows that, then I'll put up with it, now what do you want me to do?

Mon: It's just thethe vase is

Chan: Yeah?What?Come on, just tell me.

Mon: The vase is heavy and my hair is in my face could you

Chan: (his eyes go wide, as if, you-want-me-to-touch-you) Ohokay (he takes a step toward her, he reaches over to her, not wanting to get to close, he doesn't reach)

Mon: (turning away) forget it, I'll just need to put it down (she turns and looks around the apartment, and as sods law would have it, every surface is covered)

Chan: (seeing this to) Ironic

Mon: (laughs, and turns to him) Yeah. (He is smiling to, slowly the smile fades and he looks serious)

Mon: (suddenly looking concerned) What, what is it, are you Ok?

Chan: (snapping out of it) yeah, yeah, (he turns to leave)

Mon: Hey, what is it?

Chan: (turns and looks into her eyes) Nothing, I just I haven't seen you smile in a week

Mon: (uncomfortable) Oh, (they look into each others eyes) (Mon breaks the locked look)

Chan: Um, yeah, so that vase, why, don't you give it to me, and you can fix your hair.

Mon: Great,

(He reaches out for the vase, she holds it out, as he touches it, he touches her hand, both let go immediately, the vase crashes to the floor, water and glass go everywhere, both look at the mess, Phoebe and Rach come running out of Rachel's room)

Rach: What was that?

Phoe: What's going on, you are sharing an aura again. (Monica and Chandler look at each other, then take a step away from each other)

Rach: (approaching the mess) Mon, how could you let this happen, (she looks at the mess and then at Mon) Oh Mon, Mon, you are bleeding. (The glass has cut Mon's hand)

Mon: (knelling to pick up the glass) I'm Ok

Chan: (worried) No you're not, let me see that (he takes her hand, she pulls away because it hurts) That's it I'm taking you to the emergency room. (He takes a dishtowel and wraps the wound)

Phoebe and Rachel, look at each other how sweet, he is so worried

Mon: NO, I'll put a Band-Aid on after I've cleared up, (continues picking up the glass)

Chan: (stern) Monica E. Geller you are going to the hospital if I have to carry you there myself

Rach: (Quietly, to Phoebe) This'll be interesting.

Mon: (stands and looks at him) Fine, I'll go but I'll go by myself.

Chan: I don't think so,

Mon: (getting angry) Saying you don't trust me again

Chan: I know you Monica

Mon: (mad) obviously not so well

Chan: (mad) meaning what exactly?

Mon: If you know me so well, why haven't we seen each other in two weeks

Chan: You dumped me remember,

Mon: You didn't give me much choice,

Chan: (Taken aback) Me, what about you, I would never have done what I did if I wasn't so confused.

Mon: (sarcastically) well that's ok then, all must be forgiven,

Chan: You know what, I don't want to fight with you. Can we just go to the hospital, please.

Mon: I don't want to go with you. Rachel will come with me.

Rach: Actually Mon, I have a date in an hour, (Mon looks at her). He is a doctor and really cute. You can come with me if you want, he's a twin, (Chan looks at her if looks could kill) Maybe not.

Chan: (to Mon) Now, will you let me take you?

Mon: No, what about Pheebs? (Turns her back to Chan and looks at Pheebs) (Chan looks at Pheebs and mouths the word please and puts his hands together as if praying)

Phoe: (taking pity on Chan) I have another interview but I think you can trust Chandler.

Mon: (looking at him) Yeah, I thought I could tofine then I'll go with you, but let me change first, (she heads for her room)

Chan: (jokingly) Need any help?(she turns and scowls at him, she enters her room, Chan does a quick dance (you know) and then runs to Pheebs and kisses her excitedly on the cheek, and runs out)

Chan: (happily) tell her I'll get a cab and meet her downstairs (he leaves)

Phoe: (Happily) He kissed me.

ER (like the one in TOW two parts part two) Mon and Chan enter. Chan keeps trying to support her arm.

Mon: (hitting him lightly on the arm repeatedly) would (hit) you (hit) stop (hit) that, I'm fine.

Doc: (happens to be passing) Ma'am, people tend to come here injured not to get injured. (Mon laughs flirtatiously) (Doc smiles, and leaves)

Chan: What was that? (He ushers her to a seat and attempts to take her arm to seat her)

Mon: (hitting him away from her) What was what?

Chan: (obviously jealous) You and that Doctor and (mimics her laugh).

Mon: (Looking at him in disbelief) you're jealous.

Chan: (childish) Nu uh.

Mon: Yu hu. (Another patient laughs, they look at him, he walks away scared)

Chan: I'm gonna check- in (turns to the desk)

Mon: Check-in where, this is a hospital not a hotel, (a nurse walks past and hears Monica's comment)

Nrse: Tell that to some of the others here. (Walks off.) (Chan goes to the desk, Mon looks at her hand and the towel covered in blood, a guy sits next to her)

Guy: (to Mon) what you in for? (Mon giggles, he smiles) so what happened?

Mon: I cut my hand on a broken vase.

Guy: Ouch

Mon: I don't think it's that bad, but mymy(she looks at Chandler, who is laughing with the reception girl, Mon smiles) my friend forced me to come, (Guy follows her gaze)

Guy: Your "friend" is a lucky guy, (he begins to stand)

Mon: (taken aback) what do you mean?

Guy: You guys actually look like a cute couple,

Mon: Really, we are just friends,

Guy: Yeah right, and I'm Brad Pitt,

Mon: (getting annoyed) well it's nice to meet you Mr. Pitt

Guy: Come on, it's in your eyes, you totally want him,

Mon: Nu uh

Guy: (leans down and whispers in her ear) He wants you too, (he walks away, but turns round and raises his eyebrows suggestively as Chan approaches her, she smiles at the guy)

Chan: (following her gaze) who is that, God you are all over everyone tonight.

Mon: (sighs, back to reality) (looks straight into his eyes as he sits next to her) Except you, Chan: Ha, Ha, (handing her a clipboard) you have to fill this out. (Mon looks at him like very funny) What?

Mon: I'm right handed ain't I?

Chan: (realising) Oh sorry, you want me to do it

Mon: (sarcastically) NO I want the guy with stomach cramps to do itof course you do it (he starts filling it out, she looks over his shoulder when he doesn't ask her anything, she looks on open mouthed, shocked, Chan turns to look at her and sees this)

Chan: (Worried) Whatwhat is it?

Mon: (surprised) the form

Chan: What about it.

Mon: (looking deeply into his eyes) You really do know everything about me. (He leans over and brushes her hair from her face)

Chan: I was paying attention, (they smile at each other, then don't take their eyes off each other) (as if going to explain) Mon I

Mon: (cutting him off) Kiss me.

Chan: (Extremely shocked, in disbelief) What?

Mon: Just do it. (She touches his face, he leans in to kiss her, their lips are a millimetre apart)

Nrse: (reading from a clipboard) Monica Geller. (She stands suddenly and walks up to the Nurse, flustered. Chandler falls back in the chair)

 

 

 

Examination room Mon is sat on a bed, Chan is standing beside her, Doc enters.

Doc: Hey, I have to finish up next door, but if you finish filling out your forms for the Nurse I'll be back in a minute

Mon: Great (Doc leaves. She looks around avoiding looking at Chandler)

Chan: (uncomfortable) (Looking at form) Ok, I need to ask you something.

Mon: (thinking he means the kiss) Look, Chandler, maybe we should just forget everything, I mean a kiss. (Chan cuts her off)

Chan: From the forms,

Mon: (nervous laugh) Oh, (both even more uncomfortable, Chan starts to fill out forms, Mon starts fiddling, both in silence, avoiding looking at each other, Mon is looking away from Chandler and Chandler is looking at the forms, he looks up at her slowly and just stands and looks at her, she is looking in the opposite direction and doesn't see he is looking at her, he speaks still staring)

Chan: Maybe

Mon: (turning to him) What?

Chan: You said maybeMAYBE we should forget, not yes we should, maybe we should.

Mon: (knowing he is right but denying it) No I didn't

Chan: Yes you did.

Mon: (trying to change the subject) Have you finished the forms, (she takes them from him)

Chan: (giving up) No, there is one question left, your in case of emergency person.

Mon: (looking at the forms, handing it back to him) You.

Chan: (in disbelief) What?

Mon: (looks at him as if it not important) Yeah, so?

Chan: Me as in your ex-boyfriend, who made out with another girl and accused you of sleeping with another man.

Mon: (looking at her hand) That's the one.

Chan: (grateful, looking at her deeply) Thank you that means a lot

Mon: (looking into his eyes) It's no biggy, you always have been, you are the only one I trust to keep a level head.

Chan: What about Ross?

Mon: Putting your brother down as your in case emergency person makes it seem like you don't have a life and anyway it means you can sign the forms for me.

Chan: (they are still looking into each other's eyes) Still it means a lot, (the look intense as if something spectacular is about to happen, Doc enters)

Doc: Right Monica, let's take a look at that hand.

M&R's Ross, Rach, Phoebe and Joey all in the seating area, Ross is holding a book, Rach has a magazine neither of them are reading, Joey is eating all are just talking

Ross: (curious) So they went out together?

Phoe: To a hospital?

Ross: (accusing) Or that's what they said.

Rach: Can we focus on my problem? (Ross pats her on the back sympathetically)
Ross: They had better not get back together, (all look shocked) Well, sure, they made a cute couple, but he made out with another girl that is unforgivable

Rach: I forgave you(Ross looks at her) he is so sorry for what happened and all they do is mope about, depressing us. They haven't seen each other in a week and when they are finally alone together, she ends up in hospital with him, I think they belong together

Phoe: They are lobsters

Rach: I mean you should have seen how worried he was when she was bleeding

Joey: I agree, he is so depressed, today was the first day he was out of his sweats and he probably only changed because he was coming over here, we need to help them get back together. (Rach lights up and Ross panics)

Ross: I don't think we should meddle in their affairs.

Rach: Don't be so stupid, they need us to help them

Phoe: I'm with Ross, I think we should leave them to it.

Ross: Thank you Pheebs, (trying to change the subject) so Rach you're date stood you up.

Rach: Fine, but if they are not talking one way or the other by the end of the week, I'm getting them back together, they are so depressed it is ruining the atmosphere,

(Just then C&M burst in in tears from laughing,)

Mon: (through the laughter) I can't believe you did that,

Chan: (still laughing) he deserved it,

Mon: What are we at now?

Chan: Twelve,

Mon: Can you believe twelve people thought we were together (Both burst out laughing uncontrollably again everyone else looks confused, C&M take off their jackets, Mon gives hers to Chan and goes to the fridge Chan hangs them up, they are calming down from the laughing but still amused, smiling, giggling etc.)

Mon: (from the fridge, to Chan) You want a soda

Chan: Sure, (she takes one out and throws it to him he catches it and sits at the dinner table and starts to read a newspaper that was there. Mon turns on the cooker and lifts a pan and starts to fill it with water, and puts it on the cooker, she starts chopping vegetables)

Mon: (holding a carrot turns to Chan) are you. (She is cut off as she sees the gang standing staring at them in disbelief, Chan follows her gaze and notices to)

Chan: What(to Mon) do I have something on my face?

Mon: (Laughs) what is going on guys? (Suddenly serious) Has something happened, is everyone OK?

Rach: NO, everyone is not Ok (Chan stands looking concerned, Mon walks forward)

Mon: What? What happened?

Ross: You guys broke up.

C&M: (not getting it) Yeah, so?

Joey: You are talking, and laughingdid you really go to the hospital, or did you just tell us that so that you could go have sex?

Mon: Joey, we did not have sex, see (she holds up her bandaged hand) we just realised how silly it was that we were avoiding each other. We were always friends and we shouldn't let almost a year of sex ruin that, we should turn it to our advantage and see how it brought us closer together.

Chan: Yeah, what she said.

Mon: (turns to Chan) You had better go, you have that big date.

Chan: Oh, yeah, I'll see you later, get better soon (leaves) (Mon, walks over to the soft chair and slumps down in it, holding her head in her hands)

Rach: You OK?

Mon: (looking up, virtually in tears) Has anyone else noticed how cute he is? (Rach and Phoe kneel in front of her and hug her)

Ross: Joey, we had better go and see if Chandler is OK (they leave)

Rach: It'll be OK

J&C's Chan is in his barca lounger, facing the door, looking lost, Ross and Joey enter

Joey: You ok man,

Chan: (obviously not ok) Oh yeah, yeah I'm just watching some TV (turns round to see the TV is off) (Standing) No, I'm not Ok not at all, I just had the best few hours of the last week in a hospital, I mean what does that say to you. (He starts pacing) I think I am going to go crazy, I see her everyday and everyday I hate myself even more, how can I live like this. I want to be close to her, but I don't know if I can just be her friend. When she talks to me all I wanna do is hold her and kiss her and I know that if she's not careful I will cross the line and I'll be a complete jerk, and do something I'll regret, I don't know what to do. (He runs his fingers through his hair and turns to the guys, who are standing looking clueless)

Joey: (whispering to Ross) I don't know what to say, Monica gets him through bad relationships.

Joey: OK (taking control) sit down, (he forces Chandler into a chair, he sits Ross into the other chair and he pulls a stool round, and sits in front of Chandler). The first thing the girls do is hug, so we need to hug (he pulls C&Ro into a hug, and lets go, Chan gives him a weird look) Now we need to talk (Trying to think of a question,) Ross why don't you start, ask him a question.

Ross: Get over it! (C&J look shocked)

Joey: (annoyed) that's not a question

Ross: (to Chan) I'm sorry man, but you have to, she will move on and you have to, the quicker you do, the easier it will be.

Chan: I just don't think I'm ready to give up, I know she still wants me, she asked me to kiss her for crying out loud. (Ross and Joey look shocked)

Ross: (in disbelief) She did what?

Chan: When we were at the hospital, we were talking and then she just asked me to kiss her,

Joey: (getting excited) So, what happened, did you have sex in the supply closet, you know with all the cleaning products around, wow that must have turned Monica on?

Chan: No, we didn't have sex in a hospital cupboardagain.

Joey: (getting excited again) again when did you do it before.

Chan: (to Joey, forgetting Ross is there) just after Phoebe had her babies, when you guys went to the cafeteria to eat,

Joey: You said you were staying with Phoebe,

Chan: Yeah and we told Phoebe we were going with you.

Ross: (shocked to his very core) That's disgusting, you two are so immature, you're telling me you couldn't have waited 'til you got home. (Chan opens his mouth to talk but Ross continues) Wait a minute Phoebe had her babies just after we were back from London, when we were on our way to Atlantic City, eww that was months before I saw you through the window that mean's you must have been(Joey cuts him off)

Joey: (ignoring Ross, very nostalgic) you two were unstoppable back then,

Ross: (calmed down) Why did you guys hide?

Chan: Oh come on Ross, if we had told you what was going on since the beginning you would have flipped your lid, at least the way we did it we got a chance to realise our feelings for each other.

Ross: (almost just realising) You really love her don't you,

Chan: (looking straight at him) more than life itself, (Ross and Chan smile at each other)

Joey: (with a confused look) Hang on, if you love her so much, how come she says you've got a big date tonight (Ross smile quickly fades.)

Chan: I just told her that when she invited me to dinner.

Joey: She asked you out and you said no.

Chan: She didn't ask me out, she said she was cooking for everyone tonight and that I should join you,

Joey: (getting excited, forgetting Chandler) Monica's cooking tonight, yes. I wonder what she'll make, it could be (He notices Chan and Ross staring at him) Wait a minute, why did you lie to her, you could have come over to eat,

Chan: I just don't think I could cope with it, seeing her for hours and knowing she was over us

Joey: She's not over you

Chan: (very interested) what makes you say that?

Ross: The fact that we only came over here because she was in tears over you.

Chan: (sad) What?

Joey: Yeah, she was really upset, why did you think she was over you?

Chan: We were in the cab coming back from the hospital (the next scene is a flashback, and confusing so pay attention, during the time we have been with Chandler Monica has been talking to the girls and they are both re-telling the story, so when it cuts to present Monica, just imagine her talking to the girls in her apartment and Chan in his apartment talking to the guys, their thoughts are in italics)

Mon and Chan in the back of a cab in silence looking out of their own windows. Chan speaks up, trying to break the tension.

Chan: Good thing your hand is OK, no major damage,

Mon: (politely) Yeah, I only have to wear the bandage a couple of days, (Neither can think of anything to say)

Chan: (thinking) I need to say something, we can't be this awkward around each other all the time otherwise I'll lose her forever (he looks over at her) God, she is so beautiful, (Mon turns to see him staring at her, they politely smile at each other then look out there windows again)

Mon: (thinking) He keeps looking at me, I bet he's thinking how could I ever have dated that, I bet he's congratulating himself on an easy escape, (she looks at him) God, he's so cute. I really need to say something, we can't leave it like this, why did I ever ask him to kiss me, at least we never got the chance to do it, say something Monica, anything.

Both: Are we/Do you. (Both laugh)

Chan: You go first

Mon: No, please

Chan: I was just going to ask if this means we were friends again?

Mon: (surprised) we were never not friends, we just needed some space from each other, to get on with our lives.

Chan: (uncomfortable) Greatget on with our lives what were you going to say.

Mon: I was just wondering if you'd like to come to mine for dinner?

Chan: (surprised) What? You mean a meal, just us?

Mon: (uncomfortable) No, I'm cooking for everyone tonight we might be friends but I don't think I'm at that level just yet

Chan: Oh, Ok, yeah, I understand (Scrambling for something to say) I would love to but II actually have a date tonight

Mon: (shocked, upset) Oh, Ok well then, another time maybe?

Chan: Sure. (Thinking) Great, just what she needed to hear "Mon, I love you and will never get over you" really sounds like "I have a date tonight". She thinks I'm over her in two weeks. I have had relationships shorter than that that have taken me more time to get over.

Cut to M&R's Mon is crying

Mon: SO, he just said it, just like that, as if it was no big deal

Rach: (quite mad) he is such a jerk,

Phoe: I know, I was actually feeling sorry for him, (standing up,) I am gonna go kick his ass

Mon: No, Pheebs don't, the truth is I was glad to hear that, it showed me just how grown up he was, his acceptance of our break up.

Rach: (in disbelief) Really?

Mon: (breaking down) NO(R&P hug her) two weeksthat is all it took for him to shatter my world.

Phoe: I thought you said he did that in the two minutes he was kissing Janice (R&M look at her in disbelief)

Cut to C&J's guys sitting talking

Ross: So you just said it, (Chan nods) you told her you had a date, just like that (To Joey)

Well, if he hadn't hurt her enough he sure has now(to Chan, mad) can you imagine how that made her feel, two weeks after you shatter her; you stomp on the pieces that are left

Chan: (upset) I know, I know, that's why I tried to play it down.

Cut back to cab a little later

Chan: I mean its no big deal really, just a work colleague, from work (Mon looks uncomfortable, he has obviously been talking a while about it)

Mon: (cuts him off) Look Chandler, you don't have to justify anything, you are a free man now, we are over. There is no going back for us, we just have to get on with our lives. (end of flashback)

Cut to Chan @ home

Chan: And, with that she shattered any illusions I had that we had a chance of getting back together (All in silence)

Cut to Mon @ home

Mon: So, he showed me, just how little regard he had left for our relationship, and that he had no want to try and re-build our relationship. (Girls in silence) (We see a shot of the guys in silence, then the girls, no one knowing what to say) (Mon breaks the silence)

Mon: Do you think I could be alone for a while?

R&P: Sure honey, we'll go out to dinner, you take all the time you need. (Rach and Phoe rise to leave, taking their jackets)

Mon: Thanks guys,

Rach: Sure no problem (they leave)

Cut to Chan @ home

Chan: Would you guy's mind, leaving me alone for a bit?

Ross: Absolutely, we can go across the hall to eat

Chan: Thanks. (Ross and Joey leave)

Hallway between apartments, Rach and Phoe are sitting on the stair, as Ross and Joey exit C&J's

Ross: Hey guys what you doin' here

Rach: We thought we would wait for you, Mon wants to be alone so we told her we would go out to eat, is that Ok?

Ross: Sure.

Joey: So how is she?

Phoe: She's been better, no thanks to that good for nothing (pointing to Chan's door)

Joey: (getting angry) Hey, what did he do, she's the one that asked him to kiss her then gave him the brush off.

Rach: (getting angry too) NO, no he's the one that has a wait, did you say he asked her to kiss him?

Ross: (angry) No, she asked him to kiss her.

Phoe: (angry)so why didn't she tell us that?

Joey: Maybe, it embarrassed her, to want himagain

Rach: You know what, I am going to dinner with my friend Phoebe, you cheaters friends can go fend for yourselves (Phoebe and Rach walk off)

Ross: We don't need them

Joey: So, where are we gonna eat?

Ross: (unsure) I don't know why don't we follow them and see where they go,

Joey: Cool, (they run off down the stairs)

M&R's Monica is sitting alone on the sofa and there is a really violent action movie blaring out from the TV, we see that she is not really watching it she is just staring straight at the TV, expressionless. She has a huge bowl of popcorn on her lap and is obviously lost in thought. There is a knock at the door, Mon doesn't move, there is another knock, Mon doesn't move again, this repeats a few times until the door slowly opens and Chandler appears round the door. Mon doesn't move or register that anyone is there until Chandler is standing beside her, she stands up quickly tipping the popcorn all over the floor.

Mon: Hey, what are you doing here, what about your big date,

Chan: There was no date I only said that so that I wouldn't have had to eat dinner with you.

Mon: (disappointed) Oh(she sits)

Chan: (Sitting beside her) Ohno that's not what I meant, I meant with all of you, because I know that if I had come I wouldn't have been able to control myself (he looks deep into her eyes) looking at you knowing you felt nothing for me

Mon: (cutting him off) I don't feel nothing for you I

Chan: (cutting her off) But, I decided you were right we should spend some time together and salvage our friendship, so I came over here to eat with you guys but it seems I'm to late.

Mon: (Mesmerised still looking deeply into his eyes) they went out to eat

Chan: (also mesmerised) Well then (he leans over to kiss her, she closes her eyes in anticipation when)

Mon: (standing) No, we can't let this happen

Chan: (confused) But, at the hospital you

Mon: (she cuts him off) Forget the hospital Chandler, this isn't right, how do we expect to salvage our friendship when everytime we are alone together we fill the room with sexual tension like this (She walks to the door) Chandler I think you should go, we need to get some cool off time (he stays seated on the couch and says nothing). (She pleads) please Chandler, I can't do this any more, we weren't meant to be together, I thought we agreed on that today, remember, friends only, we promised we wouldn't speak of our relationship again (pause) (she opens the door) just go.

Chan gets up and goes to the door beside her he slams it shut and looks straight into her eyes for a moment, then he grabs her arms and pushes her against the door gently and kisses her VERY passionately

Chan: (breaking the kiss) Monica, I want you, now more than ever, we can't invent rules that prevent us from telling each other the truth. You think that if we tell the truth I'll hurt you again, and I can't promise you that I won't but I know that you care for me, because I know that you can't stop caring over night. I can't live without you and I hate myself for hurting you like I did, but I think that we can learn from it and our relationship can be stronger than ever.

Mon: (she has tears in her eyes) Just go.

Chan: (upset) Monica, please don't do this

Mon: You have broken the rules again Chandler, I don't know how to be with you anymore you tell me you want me, then you cheat, but not only do you cheat, you accuse me of cheating

Chan: (yelling) Hey, I never accused you of cheating you just misinterpreted my words that's all

Mon: (also yelling, the rest of this takes place with raised voices unless stated otherwise) You asked me if I slept with him

Chan: Only because he told me he did

Mon: And, what you believed a perfect stranger

Chan: I assumed that

Mon: Well you know what they say about assumption don't you (I can't write it because it has a swear word and I don't want to offend the light hearted) (she continues softly) you know what I'm glad this happened (Chan turns and looks at her shocked) it just goes to show how weak I had become since we started dating, if you could hurt me this much I must have got to close to you and allowed myself to become vulnerable

Chan: (cutting her off with a soft tone) Monica, (he holds her hand) it is Ok to get close to someone. I didn't mean to hurt you and you seem to forget that the closeness we had not only gave us this hurt, but it gave us so many precious memories too(Mon smiles, he smiles back, they hold the moment) (they seem to be apologising and reconciling with the look until, Chan leans into her again to kiss her, she pushes him away and gets really mad)

Mon: (walking away from him into the lounge) Just couldn't resist could you, (she turns and looks at him) tell me something was anything you just said true, or is this just some elaborate scene you have cooked up to get yourself laid.

Chan: (shocked, but Mad) I can't believe you Monica, I told you the truth I thought we were sorting things out,

Mon: (mad) we were, we were reconciling our friendship (pause) Please go

Chan: (softly) Monica

Mon: (pleading for him to leave) Chandler (She turns away obviously upset)

Chan: (seriously, firmly) I love you (Mon turns and looks at him with tears in her eyes)

Mon: I know, but please (he turns slowly and walks out, Monica breaks down and cries as everyone walks in)

Rach: Wow, honey what happened, are you ok,

Mon: He broke the rules

Ross: (mad) that is it, I am going to kick his ass

Mon: (walking to block the door) No, guys, its ok, (pause) I wanted him to.

Phoe: (surprised) and you told him this?

Mon: (staring into space) He just knew.

Next day C&J's Chan is alone eating breakfast at the counter he looks like hell, as if he never got any sleep etc. (like MP could ever look like hell). There is a knock on the door, he gets up slowly and opens it, it is Monica, he perks up a little both are awkward, there is silence for like two minutes.

Chan: What can I do you for.

Mon: (shocked) DO me?

Chan: (panicking) Oh, no that's not what I meant, I justI (Mon smiles)

Mon: I was kidding, just breaking the ice,

Chan: (getting into it) well I've never done that with you before (meaning breaking the ice, but if you remember that is what he said to her after London, Mon scowls at him as if he has gone to far, he looks scared)

Mon: I just came to tell you something,

Chan: Oh, right what

Mon: This is hard for me to say butI've thought a lot about what you said last night and I've reached a decision, I think I want you
 

TO BE CONTINUED

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This might seem like a weird ending but trust me it is going somewhere, I have exams in like a week so I won't be as quick with continuations but trust me I'll be as fast as I can. Feedback please to Tracey, tracey@deanmount.sol.co.uk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------