A New Era

Written by: Sammi (sammi_friendsrocks@yahoo.com.au)

Disclaimer: These characters do not belong to me, but to Bright, Kaufman and Crane Productions and Warner Bros.   Their use is not intended for profit, only for entertainment.

 

“It broke.”  Chandler sat up, with Monica beside him.

“What do you mean it broke?”  she asked.

“I dunno, it’s just…broken.”

“Well, I guess that means we can’t…” Monica was cut off by Chandler kissing her passionately.

“I don’t care.” He whispered in her ear as he pushed her back down on the bed.  “I love you.”

 

Monica looked at the strip of paper with a smile on her face.  Then she ran out of the bathroom.

 

“Chandler?”

Chandler looked up from the newspaper he was reading.  “Yeah honey?”

Monica walked over and sat next to him on the couch.  “I…I’m pregnant.”

“Oh my god!  Are you serious!”  Chandler couldn’t believe it.

“Yeah.”

“Are you sure?  Have you taken a test?  Have you been to the doctor?”

“Yes I’m sure, I took a test two days ago and saw the doctor yesterday.”

“I’m gonna be a daddy”  Chandler hugged Monica, then jumped up and started doing his ‘Chandler dance’.  Then, as the news sank in, he slowly stopped.  “Oh my god.  I’m going to be a father.”

Monica looked at him, worried.  How would he take the news?  Was this the same Chandler who, just two years before, had been commitment-phobic?  She had thought he had changed, but had he really?

Chandler saw the look on Monica’s face and realised that she was nervous about his reaction.  How could he show her exactly how happy he really was?  Chandler thought for a moment, then decided.  He walked over to her and pulled her up so she was standing in front of him.  Then he placed his hands on her stomach and kissed her passionately.

“That’s wonderful baby.”

Monica smiled.  “You’re not gonna be able to call me that when the baby comes.”  Chandler grinned at her and kissed her again.

 

“That there is your baby.”  The doctor pointed to the screen upon which was the blurry image of their child.

Chandler looked at the screen, then at Monica, lying on the bed with the probe running over her stomach, which was just starting to show.  “Wow.  Mon is that really our baby?”  He looked back at the screen.

Monica looked at the doctor who, seeing Chandler’s expression of amazement, smiled at her.  “Yeah honey, that’s really our baby.”

Chandler turned and took Monica’s hands.  “I can’t believe how lucky we are.  Look at our beautiful child.”  Then he kissed her softly on the lips and looked back at the screen.

 

Monica sat down and rubbed her aching feet.  Chandler walked over to her and took her hands from her feet, putting them in her lap.  He rubbed her feet and gave her a full massage.

“Thanks honey.” Monica said once Chandler stopped rubbing.

“Miss Geller.  I know you’ve been having problems with your back.  And I think I have a diagnosis.”  Chandler put on a serious voice and Monica smiled and turned around.

“Really?  What is it Dr Big?”  Monica used the nickname that had often gotten a positive response out of Chandler.

Chandler grinned, and then he grew serious.  “Yes.  I believe you are pregnant.  You are going to have a baby in exactly eighteen weeks.”

“Come here you.”  Monica grabbed Chandler’s neck and pulled him towards her, lying back on the bed.

“Wait a second Mon, I don’t want to hurt the baby.”  Chandler rolled off Monica and lay down beside her.  “Now, what was it you wanted to do?”

“This”  Monica kissed him, tracing his lips with her tongue.  He opened his mouth and she slipped her tongue into his mouth as she had done so many times before.  He reciprocated, and their tongues fought a battle.

“Oh!”

“What’s wrong?”  Chandler looked up from kissing Monica’s neck.  “Is something wrong with the baby?”

“It kicked!”  Chandler scrambled to sit up.

“Really?” Monica nodded.

Chandler was suddenly shy.  “Can I?” He nodded in the direction of her stomach.

Monica laughed.  “You are so cute!!” She kissed him softly and took his hand, putting it on her belly.

A moment later… “Was that it?” Chandler asked, excited.

“Yep!”

“Wow!”  Another few seconds passed.  “Hey, there it is again!”  They both giggled.

 

“Tell me why I’m letting you do this again?”  Chandler looked towards his feet where Monica was painting his toenails.

“Coz I can’t see my own feet.  I’m fat remember.”

“Mon you’re not fat, you’re pregnant, with my baby which makes it all the more special.”  Chandler pulled Monica towards him, and sat her next to him on the couch.

“You look gorgeous.”

“Yeah right.”

“I’m serious.  There is nothing more beautiful to a guy than the girl having his baby.”

“Aww, that’s so sweet.”  Monica kissed Chandler and he stroked her hair.

 

In the middle of the night, Monica was woken up.  She sat up, mindful of her large stomach.

“Oh my god!”

Hearing her voice, Chandler woke up.  “What is it honey?”

“I thought…” Monica trailed off.  “Never mind.”  Chandler leaned back, intent on getting a few more hours sleep but Monica wanted to talk.  “Chandler?”

“Yeah Mon?”

“Do you think I’ll make a good mom?  I always though I would, but now that it’s so close, I’m scared”

At this, Chandler sat up again and took Monica’s hands.  “Monica, listen to me.  I never thought I’d find someone who understood me, much less who loved me. But you know what, you've exceeded all my wildest dreams. And I know you are SO ready to be a mom. You're a natural.”

“Really”  Monica was surprised at Chandler’s outburst.

“Yeah.  Sweetie you can do it, I know you can.”

Monica hugged him, and leaned her head on his shoulder.  Chandler stroked her hair, thinking about how he could be so lucky as to have this beautiful woman as his fiancée.  After a moment, Monica spoke again.

“Oww!”

“What is it?”

“I think it’s time.”

“Time?  It’s twelve thirty Mon.” Chandler looked at the clock on the nightstand.

“No Chandler, it’s time.”

“Time?  Oh you mean…”  Monica nodded.  “Oh my god!  I’ll call an ambulance!  We’ve gotta get you to the hospital!”  Chandler ran around frantically and Monica smiled, but she grimaced again as another wave of pain hit.

 

In the hospital room, Monica made a face every time another contraction hit.  Chandler was next to her, with one hand on the small of her back and the other holding her right hand.

“Breathe honey.  Remember.  In.  Out.  In.  Out”  Chandler coached Monica.

“It hurts Chandler” Monica whimpered.

“I know honey…OWW!”  Chandler screamed as Monica squeezed his hand.

“That’s nothing compared to this!”  Monica gestured to her stomach.  “You try pushing a watermelon through a keyhole!  Get me some ice!”

“OK honey…just wait there…I’ll get you…don’t go anywhere OK?”  Chandler babbled, trying to make sense of the chaos.

“Don’t leave me!”  Monica held tight to Chandler’s hand as he tried to leave.

“OK I’ll stay, I’ll stay.”

 

“Monica’s having the baby!” Chandler yelled into the phone.  “Get to the hospital ASAP!”

“Chandler…” Monica’s voice floated through the corridor.

“Gotta go.  It’s room 421.”  Chandler hung up the phone and raced back into the room.

 

“Monica, Chandler, are you ready?  It’s not going to be long now.”  The doctor asked them after he checked Monica out.

“Yeah,”  Chandler looked at his fiancée, who was sweating heavily.  “We’re ready.”

When the doctor left, Chandler sat down next to Monica again, placing his hands in the positions they were in before, the left on the small of her back and the right holding her hand.

 “I love you.  Did I ever tell you that?”

Monica laughed.  “Yeah I think I remember you telling me about nine months ago when the condom broke.”

They both smiled at the memory of the night when their child was conceived.

 

“OK Monica, get ready to push.”  The doctor was back half an hour later, and it was time to have the baby.

 

In the corridor, Ross, Rachel, Joey and Phoebe were seated on chairs.  They could hear Monica’s screams and the doctor’s commands.  Then there was silence.  And then they heard a baby’s cry.

 

“Mom and Dad, say hello to your daughter.”  The doctor handed the pink wrapped bundle to Monica and exited the room.

Monica held her daughter close.  Chandler stroked the baby’s hand and she wrapped her fist around his finger.  Chandler looked up at Monica and noticed she was crying.  He too, had tears in his eyes.

“Oh Chandler” Monica breathed.  “Isn’t she the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen?”

“No.” Monica looked up, startled.  “You are.”  At that, both Monica and Chandler started crying and they kissed, tasting each other’s salty tears.

 

Later, after everyone had come to visit the new family, Chandler sat with Monica on the bed, watching as Monica breastfed their newborn.

“Doesn’t that hurt?”

“No, you get used to it.”

“I wouldn’t like her to bite on my nipples.”

“She has no teeth, I can’t feel anything.”  Chandler shrugged  “And anyway, you don’t mind when I bite your nipples.”  Monica said cheekily.

Chandler grinned.  “Totally different situation.”  There was a short silence until Chandler spoke again.

“What should we name her?”

“Monica.”

Monica laughed at Chandler’s suggestion.  But she quickly sobered when she saw his expression.

“No, not Monica, that would get too confusing.”

“What about Stephanie?  Stephanie Alexandra?”

“I like it.”

“So we’ll name her Stephanie Alexandra?”

“Yes, Stephanie Alexandra Bing.”

“Hey Steph.”  Chandler took his daughter out of her mother’s arms as Monica buttoned her shirt.  “I’m you dada.”

Monica and Chandler lay down together, with Stephanie lying on Monica’s chest.  Chandler put his arm around Monica and stroked her hair.

“What did I ever do to deserve you?”  Chandler asked.

“Well you don’t you know.” Monica joked.

“I know.  You’re right I don’t.” Chandler pulled Monica closer to him and kissed the top of her head.

“We must be the luckiest people in the world.  We have a beautiful baby girl, great friends,”

“And most of all, we have each other.” Chandler cut Monica off.

“I know.  I love you Chandler.”

“I love you too Monica.”

Monica turned towards Chandler and they kissed.  Then they turned their heads and watched their newborn daughter.

And with the birth of their first child, came the birth of a new era in the life of Chandler and Monica.